LIV Golf

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
It's worked spectacularly well for the UAE, Dubai. They also advertise SA as a holiday destination now. I haven't been, not been to Dubai either, but that doesn't mean that it wont start to happen.
I’ve been to Dubai plenty of times now and it’s a brilliant place for a holiday, I’ll be going back next year as well.
Id have no hesitation in going to Saudi Arabia either.
Ive no issues with people having an opinion but when it’s without foundation and no research done, it makes you wonder.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's the end of "LIV style" events, although it is probably the end of the LIV brand. Yanks love shouting and drinking weak beer - just look at the popularity of the Waste Management - I think we'll see a number of tour events (not many, just some) adopting the 'golf, but louder' mantra. They might also be the ones that continue with the team golf aspect.

Last edited:

AussieKB

Visit site
Fx9Z7TbakAI9Mer

D

Deleted member 15344

I’ve been to Dubai plenty of times now and it’s a brilliant place for a holiday, I’ll be going back next year as well.
Id have no hesitation in going to Saudi Arabia either.
Ive no issues with people having an opinion but when it’s without foundation and no research done, it makes you wonder.

Have only ever had to go to Dubai and Saudi for work

You can see they are throwing money at many areas to make it a holiday destination for “westerners” - and many go there but it’s full of hypocrisy when it comes to how they treat people - only have to go to certain hotel “nightclubs” to see all the rich Arabs and the thousands of working ladies. Behind all the gold and rich hotels etc are thousands of migrant workers building it all treated like scum.

Parents lived in Dhahran when my dad worked for Bae - my mother just hide away with the other workers wifes in the compounds - not a nice place at all

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

You can see they are throwing money at many areas to make it a holiday destination for “westerners” - and many go there but it’s full of hypocrisy when it comes to how they treat people - only have to go to certain hotel “nightclubs” to see all the rich Arabs and the thousands of working ladies. Behind all the gold and rich hotels etc are thousands of migrant workers building it all treated like scum.

Parents lived in Dhahran when my dad worked for Bae - my mother just hide away with the other workers wifes in the compounds - not a nice place at all
The hypocrisy is that it happens in every country.
What do you mean in a compound (how long ago) the people I know got cracking apartments to stay in 🤣
At least you’ve got a valid opinion having worked and lived there.
We’ve clearly had different experiences but that’s life i suppose.

D

Deleted member 15344

The hypocrisy is that it happens in every country.
What do you mean in a compound (how long ago) the people I know got cracking apartments to stay in 🤣
At least you’ve got a valid opinion having worked and lived there.
We’ve clearly had different experiences but that’s life i suppose.

Jeddah is supposed to be pretty much a western city now , same with a lot of the Middle East cities that have built - the tourist areas are no different to any holiday destination now apart it just all seems a bit more “grander” and some of the hotels etc are just out of this world.

It’s certainly going to be a very popular destination for holidays - the only thing that will cause any issues or concerns will be the conflict with Yemen and if that spills over

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

We stayed in a compound while working in Al Jubail (spelling) I can only describe it as a mini Butlins but without the screaming kids and fun fair lol. We drove past the American compound on the way to site and it was like Fort Knox, huge bollards in front of the gates which had armed guards on them, it was 1996 though so not long after the gulf war. As for the Saudi people, genuinely lovely people who couldn’t do enough for you, you just needed to be aware of their culture or what to and not to do but we never had any issues walking around town.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Early in this thread I had a look at who the sponsors are for the various tours, and where do those sponsors earn their money. With some sponsors it’s ‘clean’ money, for others it isn’t. To say that dirty money is now coming into golf is naive. It’s been there for years

However, I’m not comfortable with whatever version of tour finally evolves being backed/driven by the Saudi govt. But whilst the world needs oil there’ll never be sanctions like South Africa experienced. Having events like the F1 racing going over there, as did the World Cup in Qatar, highlights the appalling human rights in those countries. The likes of Lewis Hamilton & some of the football commentators, and the various debates by high profile celebs and sports people keep the pressure on for change.

As for pure, squeaky clean anything in this global world, it’s very rare.

D

Deleted member 15344

We stayed in a compound while working in Al Jubail (spelling) I can only describe it as a mini Butlins but without the screaming kids and fun fair lol. We drove past the American compound on the way to site and it was like Fort Knox, huge bollards in front of the gates which had armed guards on them, it was 1996 though so not long after the gulf war. As for the Saudi people, genuinely lovely people who couldn’t do enough for you, you just needed to be aware of their culture or what to and not to do but we never had any issues walking around town.

Been in a few of the compounds and the US ones are like a litre City behind the high walls - was there in 94 and 97 but then in 2002 and it was a massive change there , security a lot more tighter because of 9/11 . The Bae compound was looked after by the US. Good Burger King behind the wall 😂 - we couldn’t go around town , only travel from our compound to the airfield and then after 9/11 stayed just outside a number of times

Go away and do some reading.. (y)

Do you think it’s maybe the way you respond to people as a reason why you are getting backs up - I know it’s a sad time for you right now with LIV coming to an end but just maybe be a bit nicer when replying

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The ones that are used to help fund the current PGAT events ?

Do you think the PGAT will allow that money to be moved to fund the vast amounts of money being paid to the current golfers on LIV ? Nah all those contacts etc will be null and void at the end of this season and the players returning will have to pay something from the money they have earned

I would hope both the PGAT and ET would look at how well received the event was in Australia and look to build on that - it’s the one area that was a success for LIV
Well received is by the way. What matters in money to be earned. Fans dont pay the bills. Sponsors and TV rights do. So the PGAT or ET will only go there is Aussies pay for them to be there.

Anoetic

Visit site
The people running PIF like their privacy. For them it’s a small price to pay for all the court cases and negative publicity about the golf to go away…this deal makes good business sense.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Been in a few of the compounds and the US ones are like a litre City behind the high walls - was there in 94 and 97 but then in 2002 and it was a massive change there , security a lot more tighter because of 9/11 . The Bae compound was looked after by the US. Good Burger King behind the wall 😂 - we couldn’t go around town , only travel from our compound to the airfield and then after 9/11 stayed just outside a number of times

Do you think it’s maybe the way you respond to people as a reason why you are getting backs up - I know it’s a sad time for you right now with LIV coming to an end but just maybe be a bit nicer when replying

Maybe I do it as I know it’ll trigger the usual suspects?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The people running PIF like their privacy. For them it’s a small price to pay for all the court cases and negative publicity about the golf to go away…this deal makes good business sense.
I suspect that the pga tour has just as much reason to have feared disclosure as the PIF.
There's very little moral high ground in professional sports.
And even less benefit to standing on it - just ask Rory

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I cannot believe Jay Monahan thinks he can be the CEO of this venture. His credibility is completely destroyed by this move, isn't it?

I expect he’s been given an opportunity to win the players over in order to keep his job. The deal would have never happened if Al Rumayyan had told him he had no future, but if Jay can’t get his players in line, he’ll be on his bike.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I expect he’s been given an opportunity to win the players over in order to keep his job. The deal would have never happened if Al Rumayyan had told him he had no future, but if Jay can’t get his players in line, he’ll be on his bike.

Safe to say he'll be on his bike then?! With a chunky pay off, not doubt.