LIV Golf

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The players are going to be seething..Matsuyama reportedly turned down 300 million and now he's going to be playing with LIV players...
This thought just came into my mind. Not Mastsuyama specifically but the likes of DJ, Brooks, Cam Smith who trousered massive amounts and are now back in the fold. Wow, just wow. What a move.

Swango1980

Visit site
Very strange indeed.

Has Jay Monahan not been referencing Saudi money the whole time, trying to imply it is all blood money and evil (which was never really my gripe, I just didn't like the format and qualification)? Now he jumps into bed with them?

Mainly Rory, but many other PGAT players have had do defend PGAT against LIV. However, presumably the PGAT players have had a say in this shock news? Rory, Tiger, Jack, etc?

And true, what does it actually mean to golf? How does the PGAT change to adapt to this relationship? Will it sacrifice its lesser events so big players can play LIV style? Did sponsors of lesser events pull out, after the PGAT put more emphasis on the top players playing more of their flagship style events? Perhaps the PGAT felt that, no matter what, they would be crippled whilst LIV was around as they couldn't compete with the money.

D

Deleted member 15344

This must be killing @Liverpoolphil & @Backsticks 🤣🤣🤣 (Tongue in cheek)
Will be interesting to see what all the players say.
You wonder if Rahm and other high profile players have said to get it sorted.
Rory will be glad to be in Canada 😂

Not really - as stated a number of times , I’m no fan of the PGAT and this all just enhances that

The most disappointing thing is the ET being involved and looks like all professional golf outside the majors will be state owned by Saudi - that’s not good in my book

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Wow. Imagine the actual mechanics of how it works will be relatively close to the original concept that was offered to run along side the existing tours with dates adjusted etc.; the actual logistics of what happens in the short term, with elevated events and players status is much more complicated.

I am interested in what happens to Norman and McIlroy - both public positions and their stances surely mean either massive climb downs. McIlroy doesn't have to play LIV but given the inevitable world ranking points going that way, the standard of the field (particularly for those who kept their powder relatively dry - ie Rahm, Scheffler, etc.), I suspect he's feeling pretty betrayed having been used for the past year. Also, with the launch of his own venture upcoming, he's reliant on guys who will be doing a lot more travelling and possibly unwilling to give up Monday nights.

I've less interest in what happens to Pelley and Monahan but suspect both will retain salaried positions.

There is some inclusion of the DPWT so to that end, the ET as an entity has, in my opinion, just got stronger.... and also makes a mockery of McGinley's recent DPWT boasts. I'm also delighted for Sky's Jamie Weir and the guys at NLU - they must be LIVid (see what I did there?)!

D

Deleted member 21445

Sitting with my popcorn for all the people who said they wouldnt watch Liv because it was funded by Saudi Arabia.
Take it those people wont watch the PGA Tour now ?

"After over a year of division, the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and LIV Golf, via the Saudi Public Investment Fund that bankrolls it, have announced a historic merger, it has been annoucned. The three parties have come together to “unify the game of golf, on a global basis
The three organisations have signed an agreement that combines the golf-related commercial businesses and rights of the PIF, PGA Tour and DP World Tour into a collectively owned, for-profit entity.”.

All eyes on Brandel Chamblee in particular..

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
and.... who is in the ryder cup teams now.

Taken from the article Mel posted -

PIF is prepared to invest billions of new capital into the new entity, CNBC’S David Faber reported on Tuesday. Terms of the deal weren’t disclosed. As part of the agreement, the three groups will establish “a fair and objective process for any players who want to re-apply for membership with the PGA Tour or DP World Tour” following the end of the 2023 season, according to a release.