LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Quite a few LIV players competing in Egypt in the Asian Tour International series.

A certain Andy Ogletree currenty leading - great to see. Decent purse as well.

#butitsnotgrowingthegame

D

Deleted member 1418

Quite a few LIV players competing in Egypt in the Asian Tour International series.

A certain Andy Ogletree currenty leading - great to see. Decent purse as well.

#butitsnotgrowingthegame

The same Andy Ogletree who finished 67th wasn't it out of 68 on the party tour? So he's found his level then - fair play to him!! ;)(y)

Ian_George

Visit site
The same Andy Ogletree who finished 67th wasn't it out of 68 on the party tour? So he's found his level then - fair play to him!! ;)(y)
Maybe they were foolish to axe him then! Or maybe the security of having some cash behind him, albeit 'only' $120K allows him to play more freely! PGAT earnings since joining in 2020 of only $38K probably put a load of pressure on him to perform - different pressure to that to win the US Amateur even! Or even LIV!

Swango1980

Visit site
You're views epitomise the defendants of the PGA Tour. You're bitter because some players have left for something that they obviousy feel is better, you are annoyed that they might not play in some of the majors somewhere down the line, but you don't think they should because the golf they play can't be ranked (it can, and it is - just not by the OWGR)
Essentially, you want everything to stay as it was - Golf, Radio 2 style. Pipe and slippers, marvellous.

That's fine, but some people like something different in addition to what already exists - LIV delivers that in plenty of aspects. There's room for both, one doesn't have to destroy the other - so why all the resentment towards LIV, it's not going to do you any good, and it won't change what has already happened.
Absolute garbage summary, as usual

cleveland52

Visit site
Has this not already been answered? Because LIV golf has an impact on golf outside of LIV. Because it removes players, and some top players, from events and tours that most golf fans have enjoyed watching. Because it has an impact on the biggest golf events, like Majors, in terms of players that will appear in those (with it almost impossible to reasonably rank LIV players who play a completely different format, with no qualification criteria).

LIV has never appealed to me. However, if it wasn't for this thread, I'd honestly never talk about it, as no one I know in the real world has talked about it for months and months now. No one at my golf club talks about it, that I have heard, and I'm not on any other forums related to it.

However, the absolute garbage some LIV supporters spout on here does keep me coming back, I guess that is entertaining in a sadistic sense. It is probably the attitude of some LIV supporters in here that has driven me even further from LIV. As it seems to be the same attitude of LIV players and officials. That sense of entitlement stinks, and that is one of the big things I take away from LIV. You have these players who have made a big decision to join LIV, knowing there will be sacrifices in terms of golf, but at same time earning significantly more money. No issue with that, if that is what is important. But to then cry and demand that they want all other doors open to them is shameful, embarrassing and a kick in the teeth to their peers they left behind. The guys that get relatively much less, and who have to continue to play to a certain level to maintain their standing on their tour.

So, as a golf fan, I have strong feelings about LIV, but none of them are positive.[/QUOT

Last edited:

cleveland52

Visit site
Agreed 100%.....I want to add that the fact that LIV golf and its players took the money but refuse to go away. Lawsuits to have their cake and eat it to...the total sense of entitlement is very annoying.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Has this not already been answered? Because LIV golf has an impact on golf outside of LIV. Because it removes players, and some top players, from events and tours that most golf fans have enjoyed watching. Because it has an impact on the biggest golf events, like Majors, in terms of players that will appear in those (with it almost impossible to reasonably rank LIV players who play a completely different format, with no qualification criteria).

LIV has never appealed to me. However, if it wasn't for this thread, I'd honestly never talk about it, as no one I know in the real world has talked about it for months and months now. No one at my golf club talks about it, that I have heard, and I'm not on any other forums related to it.

However, the absolute garbage some LIV supporters spout on here does keep me coming back, I guess that is entertaining in a sadistic sense. It is probably the attitude of some LIV supporters in here that has driven me even further from LIV. As it seems to be the same attitude of LIV players and officials. That sense of entitlement stinks, and that is one of the big things I take away from LIV. You have these players who have made a big decision to join LIV, knowing there will be sacrifices in terms of golf, but at same time earning significantly more money. No issue with that, if that is what is important. But to then cry and demand that they want all other doors open to them is shameful, embarrassing and a kick in the teeth to their peers they left behind. The guys that get relatively much less, and who have to continue to play to a certain level to maintain their standing on their tour.

So, as a golf fan, I have strong feelings about LIV, but none of them are positive.
Exrabbit, does that clarify it for you?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Is this like the PGA taking all the Euro players for years ? but hey they did not go for the money ?
pot meet kettle.

Did the PGA "take" them by offering them huge cheques regardless of whether they won or not, or did the bigger or better players earn their right to play on the PGA Tour, either by dint of their European ranking, winning Majors or by going through PGA Tour Q school?

Mel, the problem is not that another tour option exists, the problem is the way it has been done, with arrogance and an open cheque book and an assumption that the rest of the world will bend over backwards to accommodate them.

Also, it is totally financially dependent on Saudi cash, which is unsustainable in the long run, and very possibly viewers aren’t climbing aboard in droves as they don’t want to invest time in something that may not be around in a couple of years unless it can find a way to pay its way

Add the deflection & spin like the top quote for another reason why the LIV Tour is not popular Phil. And the attitude of the players who want to have their LIV cake and yet still take cake from the tour they turned their back on.

Most of us would be happy to ignore it but the level of evangelism that its disciples bombard us with means it's very difficult to. If you want to look for a reason why people hate it rather than ignore it, it's because it's being shoved down your throat like it's the second coming, when the truth is it's nearer to golf's equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters. I've nothing against the Harlem Globetrotters, it's great light-hearted entertainment but serious sport it ain't.

cleveland52

Visit site
Did the PGA "take" them by offering them huge cheques regardless of whether they won or not, or did the bigger or better players earn their right to play on the PGA Tour, either by dint of their European ranking, winning Majors or by going through PGA Tour Q school?

Add the deflection & spin like the top quote for another reason why the LIV Tour is not popular Phil. And the attitude of the players who want to have their LIV cake and yet still take cake from the tour they turned their back on.

Most of us would be happy to ignore it but the level of evangelism that its disciples bombard us with means it's very difficult to. If you want to look for a reason why people hate it rather than ignore it, it's because it's being shoved down your throat like it's the second coming, when the truth is it's nearer to golf's equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters. I've nothing against the Harlem Globetrotters, it's great light-hearted entertainment but serious sport it ain't.
This ^^^^X1000.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Mel, the problem is not that another tour option exists, the problem is the way it has been done, with arrogance and an open cheque book and an assumption that the rest of the world will bend over backwards to accommodate them.

Also, it is totally financially dependent on Saudi cash, which is unsustainable in the long run, and very possibly viewers aren’t climbing aboard in droves as they don’t want to invest time in something that may not be around in a couple of years unless it can find a way to pay its way
IMO a well articulated post of your views, from which personally I can understand your viewpoint and share some sympathies with.
I do think @ExRabbit 's post also had some good points.
Sad to say, but as it approaches 9K posts and as we go into 2023, is there some merit in closing this thread and creating two new 'echo chamber' threads?
One can be 'anti LIV thread', the 2 primary LIV cheerleaders would not be permitted to post in it, and hopefully that would stop the constant triggering.
The other could be called something a bit like this one, and the repetitive, negative posts wouldn't be welcome there.
Who knows it may bring back those posters with less diversive views, who like chatting about skilled professionals hitting a ball until it goes into the hole, irrespective of where they play, onto a forum about golf.
Just a thought. ?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
IMO a well articulated post of your views, from which personally I can understand your viewpoint and share some sympathies with.
I do think @ExRabbit 's post also had some good points.
Sad to say, but as it approaches 9K posts and as we go into 2023, is there some merit in closing this thread and creating two new 'echo chamber' threads?
One can be 'anti LIV thread', the 2 primary LIV cheerleaders would not be permitted to post in it, and hopefully that would stop the constant triggering.
The other could be called something a bit like this one, and the repetitive, negative posts wouldn't be welcome there.
Who knows it may bring back those posters with less diversive views, who like chatting about skilled professionals hitting a ball until it goes into the hole, irrespective of where they play, onto a forum about golf.
Just a thought. ?

Simply not allowing the two primary LIV cheerleaders in this one would have the same effect; those who want to discuss it still could in one thread and I’m sure that the temperature would cool somewhat. That the main cheerleader cannot see any wrong in LIV is the primary cause of any issues in this thread in my opinion.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simply not allowing the two primary LIV cheerleaders in this one would have the same effect; those who want to discuss it still could in one thread and I’m sure that the temperature would cool somewhat. That the main cheerleader cannot see any wrong in LIV is the primary cause of any issues in this thread in my opinion.

You could argue posts like this are are part of the issue?
And we go around again ??

Blue in Munich

Visit site
You could argue posts like this are are part of the issue?
And we go around again ??

You could do; or you could look at the hugely disproportionate number of posts by one poster in this thread and come to the conclusion that the propaganda (because it long since passed discussion) is the cause of the problem.:unsure: :p

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could do; or you could look at the hugely disproportionate number of posts by one poster in this thread and come to the conclusion that the propaganda (because it long since passed discussion) is the cause of the problem.:unsure: :p

In fairness he does have a huge amount of people to try and respond to ??

C7usk

Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't want to see the threads split and people not allowed to post in it... What happened to freedom of speech / opinion.. We all have the choice of reading or not reading this thread... It is only golf at the end of the day.. Whilst I don't agree with some others views and opinions I do oddly enjoy the soap opera generated around it..