LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Which does not meet the current OWGR criteria, i.e. that each event must have qualifying criteria. You know full well that LiV is nowhere near meeting OWGR even halfway, though in my view LiV would need to get to nearer 90% of the current criteria to warrant points being awarded.

It will satisfy the qualifying criteria for 2024, they could very easily introduce local qualifying for 2023, which I expect they will if required.

D

Deleted member 15344

It will satisfy the qualifying criteria for 2024, they could very easily introduce local qualifying for 2023, which I expect they will if required.

Will they ?‍♂️ But Greg Norman says they fulfil what’s required for ranking points ? Just as BDC said as well ?

So what changes will they bring in if they already think they fulfil the requirements

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Will they ?‍♂️ But Greg Norman says they fulfil what’s required for ranking points ? Just as BDC said as well ?

So what changes will they bring in if they already think they fulfil the requirements

As I’ve said MULTIPLE times Phil, they will do what is required to get points.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Currently, no. There will be though, and as I keep saying. It’s quite clear that LIV are prepared to modify their format to get points, so, it’s only a matter of time until they do. That’s assuming the OWGR don’t start blocking their application despite meeting their own criteria.

Incidentally - I read something yesterday that implied the OWGR had waived their responsibilities to act in the best interests of the company, as required by the companies act 2006 - but I’m certainly no business law expert, so couldn’t tell you if that’s the case, but adds an interesting dimension to the debate if it is.

Really, show me where there have even intimated that GN seems to believe they already meet the criteria when they most clearly do not.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So In summary, you’re not going to go back and read what I have said, but what I said (repeatedly according to you) is that LIV deserve OWGR points?[/
Have you missed the bit where I repeatedly said they’ll modify the product until all the OWGR requirements are satisfied?

Infact, I don’t think I’ve ever said that the series is currently eligible for points. What I have said, is that they have some of the best players in the world who deserve to be ranked, and if the current OWGR system can’t accommodate that, then it should be questioned.

Sorry, have done the job for you Swango1980, though it didn't take very long.

Springveldt

Visit site
Personally, I would put Cam Smith’s record in big events above Justin Thomas - and for me, in terms of the eye-test, he has a higher ceiling than Thomas — and is immeasurably more appealing

We’re all welcome to our own opinions, but I wonder if you think Morikawa is also a flash in the pan? He failed to win on the PGA Tour this year, and Lucas Herbert, Luke List, Ryan Brehm, Chad Ramey, Trey Mullinax and Chez Reavie all did…

Cameron Smith won his first LIV event in which many recent Major winners all played…he didn’t beat nobodies…the field in the PGA Tour changes each event, it’s not always a stacked field…something which Premier Golf League, LIV Golf, Rory all acknowledge—-hence the PGA Tours recent changes going forward
Might need those eyes tested then. ? For me, JT has one of the highest ceilings of any player. He just has everything and every shot. Some of the rounds he played last season in high winds were unbelievable, flighting in a 7 iron to 17 at Sawgrass, winning a few tournaments while being on the wrong end of the draw etc.

Springveldt

Visit site
I may have missed something - not been on this thread in a few weeks

Seems like the rankings is all about major qualification

Couldn’t the LIV players just go through Final Qualifying of the Open, The US Open etc

Simple
No route to the Masters or PGA though.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
The more I think about it the more I have come to the conclusion that Norman has really messed up.

Things like sponsorship, TV deals, access to majors, and world ranking points the most basic of things to get sorted, or at least to be advanced discussions about before really starting up. Instead he has splashed what must be in to the billions of dollars already with no TV deal, very limited sponsorship, no guaranteed access to majors, and at the moment no world ranking points.

The issue I think it that Norman has come in swinging his member about trying to prove that he could manage the biggest tour better than the PGA can, so with no strong foundation, none of the things above that should have been sorted, no USP has put himself and LIV in direct competition and antagonistically I must say with the richest, most established, and strongest tour in the world. The way they've gone about it has actually given some sympathy to the PGAT who are hardly paragons of virtue.

Instead, if they started smaller with a strong USP, they could have said they are aiming to make a truly global game, and grow the game. Have community outreach like sending some players into schools or local golf clubs for publicity and community engagement. Even if people protested the source of the funding they couldn't fault the message and ambition.

They could still have large purses, but concentrate on getting sponsorship to cover the running costs, and prioritise FTA TV deals in the countries where the tournaments are.

Before starting make sure that they can get World Ranking points and over time try and grow the field strength through high purses and other incentives.

Swango1980

Visit site
The more I think about it the more I have come to the conclusion that Norman has really messed up.

Things like sponsorship, TV deals, access to majors, and world ranking points the most basic of things to get sorted, or at least to be advanced discussions about before really starting up. Instead he has splashed what must be in to the billions of dollars already with no TV deal, very limited sponsorship, no guaranteed access to majors, and at the moment no world ranking points.

The issue I think it that Norman has come in swinging his member about trying to prove that he could manage the biggest tour better than the PGA can, so with no strong foundation, none of the things above that should have been sorted, no USP has put himself and LIV in direct competition and antagonistically I must say with the richest, most established, and strongest tour in the world. The way they've gone about it has actually given some sympathy to the PGAT who are hardly paragons of virtue.

Instead, if they started smaller with a strong USP, they could have said they are aiming to make a truly global game, and grow the game. Have community outreach like sending some players into schools or local golf clubs for publicity and community engagement. Even if people protested the source of the funding they couldn't fault the message and ambition.

They could still have large purses, but concentrate on getting sponsorship to cover the running costs, and prioritise FTA TV deals in the countries where the tournaments are.

Before starting make sure that they can get World Ranking points and over time try and grow the field strength through high purses and other incentives.
Completely agree.

Completely ignored the basics, and gone in all guns blazing, throwing money around, making a lot of noise, and thinking all that would result in LIV becoming the greatest golf tour on earth. Had they got the basics right, had a solid foundation to build from, they surely would have been able to quickly build a tour with a lot more credibility. Perhaps Greg Norman's impatience got the better of him?

The only people I have ever heard of that actually like LIV are a handful of people in this forum. Not met anyone in real life that has any interest in watching it, and only occasionally discuss the politics of it. Maybe all these new fans LIV are picking up are aussie rules football fans?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Norman came in as the disruptor I can’t see him being around for the long term he will be replaced by a more welcoming diplomat in 18-24 months

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Completely agree.

Completely ignored the basics, and gone in all guns blazing, throwing money around, making a lot of noise, and thinking all that would result in LIV becoming the greatest golf tour on earth. Had they got the basics right, had a solid foundation to build from, they surely would have been able to quickly build a tour with a lot more credibility. Perhaps Greg Norman's impatience got the better of him?

The only people I have ever heard of that actually like LIV are a handful of people in this forum. Not met anyone in real life that has any interest in watching it, and only occasionally discuss the politics of it. Maybe all these new fans LIV are picking up are aussie rules football fans?
I enjoy watching it
No adverts just golf
Couldn’t care less if the winner wins 4 million or 400 million because it won’t effect my standard of living whatsoever.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoy watching it
No adverts just golf
Couldn’t care less if the winner wins 4 million or 400 million because it won’t effect my standard of living whatsoever.

I am with you on this. If I want to watch golf, I really do not care who it is, where it is and especially how much the prize money is. I just want to watch some people trying to put a little white ball in the hole.

The whole thing has put pretty much everyone involved in golf in a poor light as far as I am concerned and that is on both sides. As i have mentioned before, the best outcome that I can see is for the whole house of cards to come down and start a full rebuild as I really do not find the attitudes or stances of anyone involved at the moment particularly attractive.

Swango1980

Visit site
I enjoy watching it
No adverts just golf
Yeah. I don't really care how much a golfer wins either. I just like to see a group of golfers battling it out, all of whom have qualified to be in the field to compete :)

I guess Pat Perez qualified, his qualification criteria being he was DJ's mate :)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah. I don't really care how much a golfer wins either. I just like to see a group of golfers battling it out, all of whom have qualified to be in the field to compete :)

I guess Pat Perez qualified, his qualification criteria being he was DJ's mate :)
I understand where your coming from
I suspect by your comments you are not a watcher?
Whether or not it’s all been gone about the wrong way,unless someone is willing to change and start talking,instead of slating each other it will stay the same.
With the womens Liv just around the corner,and these women will be offered unbelievable amounts of money compared to what they are earning.
The womens game could actually take a bigger hit than the mens.