LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Why does Liv become a lesser tour because of this alliance?

It's purely to gain OGWR points, nothing more.

Be aware that OGWR points are appointed by the strength of the field not the strength of the Mena Tour.
With the players Liv have they could have more points on offer than DP World Tour events which in essence makes it a higher tour.

This is a genius clever strategic move by Liv with Mena already getting OGWR points for their 54 hole events however I see this really kicking off now and getting super political with probably more frigging lawsuits when this gets bogged down in red tape.

Mena Tour currently only get world ranking points because it’s a “development” tour - that is why they can play just 54 holes

By adding the LIV golfers and LiV tournaments then it clearly no longer becomes a development tour

So the events will still have to follow the same level of requirements as PGAT , ET etc

Greg Norman is trying a loophole and using a tour which gains points without imo understanding the reason why the tour gets the points

Did MENA have a cut at any point over the 3 days before this, out of curiosity?

The last time they held events consistently they didn’t have cuts

D

Deleted member 21445

And that's the monopoly I do not agree with. PGA tour should have no say at all who gets ranking points and who doesn't. Should be a totally separate entity to the tour altogether.

PGAT and DPWT both sit on the board of OGWR

D

Deleted member 21445

Mena Tour currently only get world ranking points because it’s a “development” tour - that is why they can play just 54 holes

By adding the LIV golfers and LiV tournaments then it clearly no longer becomes a development tour

So the events will still have to follow the same level of requirements as PGAT , ET etc

Greg Norman is trying a loophole and using a tour which gains points without imo understanding the reason why the tour gets the points

Like I said lots of legal wrangling and red tape ahead but a clever strategic move none the less

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Interesting!

PGAT and DPWT both sit on the board of OGWR

I know, its pretty jokes really! Every step of the way Norman hits a wall built by the established tours. Hes not wrong that they have too much control over golf on the whole. The only thing they don't seem to control is the world long drive :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Away from the OWGR debate, this has been a pretty smart move by LIV in terms of media exposure, and of course, they've now got an alliance with a Dubai based tour, a little like the PGA Tour ;-)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
On a positive note on all this there are lots of players getting on the PGA and feeder tours that might never of had the chance before

And it's raising the profile of the game internationally. I'd never even heard of the MENA tour until yesterday - and I definitely didn't know one of Miguel Angel Jimenez's sons played on it.

For those guys already on this tour, it's a great bit of exposure and investment.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
And it's raising the profile of the game internationally. I'd never even heard of the MENA tour until yesterday - and I definitely didn't know one of Miguel Angel Jimenez's sons played on it.

For those guys already on this tour, it's a great bit of exposure and investment.

What do they actually gain? They're not playing this weekend are they? I assume LIV maybe has increased the pots of money they play for in other events?

D

Deleted member 15344

Just a simple question

Why do you think LIV Tour have given money to Mena to include the LIV players on their tour

What do they actually gain? They're not playing this weekend are they? I assume LIV maybe has increased the pots of money they play for in other events?

They gain nothing - no Mena player is playing in the LIV and there are no currently planned Mena events beyond this LIV tour

D

Deleted member 21445

Yes the purses are going to increase on the Mena events but not crazy money, just strong purses for a feeder tour according to A Shipnuck

I think its important for Liv to be seen with some of their billions trickle down to the Asian and mena tours to support their pathway.

So Mena players can move up to Asian and Asian can move up to Liv.

Not many Liv places available though it has to be said but it is possible.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

No, none of the MENA tour players will play in the LIV event, although they are taliking about pathways in the press release, so obvioulsy longer term that could be possible, along with gaining access to the Asian Tour I guess?

In terms of money, I'm sure Ive read somewhere that the purses have increased, but not 100% on that.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just a simple question

Why do you think LIV Tour have given money to Mena to include the LIV players on their tour

They gain nothing - no Mena player is playing in the LIV and there are no currently planned Mena events beyond this LIV tour

They only announced the partnership yesterday Phil.

D

Deleted member 15344

They only announced the partnership yesterday Phil.

Partnership ?

There is one Mena event planned - the LIV event , there is no Mena events beyond that , nothing planned at all.

Greg Norman is trying to circumvent the rules to give his players ranking points by using another tour.

It’s not a Co sanction event , there is no partnership. It’s a pretty desperate move that is I suspect going to look bad on him again

This doesn’t put liv golf in any good light at all

They wanted to do this with the Asian Tour and it didn’t happen.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Although this is slightly tongue in cheek, it demonstrates the strength of the LIV tour in relation to some PGA Tour events.

Take away all the nonsense, and what we have are world class golfers, playing golf.

Yes, it confirms that PGAT fields even for one of its lesser events have way more talent in them than LiV, percentages are irrelevant. Bigger fields mean more competition and are harder events to win.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Good question and I'm not sure, I would guess yes.

Like I said in my previous post it's a very clever move by Liv but I don't see them getting points straight away. We are heading for more legal wrangling I reckon.

No way PGAT are letting Liv just get points this way without a fight because they know OWGR is the main reason a lot of PGAT players who fancy the money currently won't move over.

If they did automatically get points the winner in Bangkok would get decent OGWR points based on the strength of the field

Mena now feeds Asian tour, Asian tour feeds liv so helps with the pathway issue at least

Not according to skysports news Jamie Weir

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am gutted for the Mena guys that wont get to play in their tournaments now, as they make way for the $50M guys from Saudi.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, none of the MENA tour players will play in the LIV event, although they are taliking about pathways in the press release, so obvioulsy longer term that could be possible, along with gaining access to the Asian Tour I guess?

In terms of money, I'm sure Ive read somewhere that the purses have increased, but not 100% on that.

Isn't that what they already have by playing on the MENA tour? Like you, I hadn't heard of the MENA tour until yesterday but it's been described as a feeder tour for the Asian tour. As such the MENA players already have access to the Asian tour so aren't gaining anything from this.