LIV Golf

Of course it’s desperate and it might not even work

Mena is a pure development tour whose events in 2020 had a level of ranking points.

The event that Mena have added to their calendar last minute currently isn’t in the list of ranking events this weekend- so at the moment only these events will affect the rankings

https://www.owgr.com/this-week-s-events

The whole golf world can see what Norman is trying now , seeing how he hasn’t thought much through before I suspect he also hasn’t thought this through as well

Why would anyone want to see a development tour being bought like this ?

Yes, why would anybody want to see the DPWT be bought in a strategic alliance with the PGA Tour, effectively sealing it's fate as a development tour.

The golf landscape is changing mate, and this is all part of the ongong process on both sides.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Yes, why would anybody want to see the DPWT be bought in a strategic alliance with the PGA Tour, effectively sealing it's fate as a development tour.

The golf landscape is changing mate, and this is all part of the ongong process on both sides.
Why are are you twisting it round to the PGA and ET ? It’s irrelevant

Is this part of the “on going” process ? A tour which is for young pros and amateurs only for development in the sport being bought out by LiV ?

Look at the list of players in the Event and tell me which ones are “developing” golfers ?

Do you think it’s a good thing LIV just buying this tour for the sole purpose of gaining world ranking points ?

JamesR

Tour Winner
MENA tour is a minor tour.
I played with Richard Mansell years ago, and he he was on that tour, before qualifying for the Challenge tour. So it’s lower than the 3rd tier of golf.
Strikes of desperation, to anyone but the biggest LiV sycophants.

Why are are you twisting it round to the PGA and ET ? It’s irrelevant

Is this part of the “on going” process ? A tour which is for young pros and amateurs only for development in the sport being bought out by LiV ?

Look at the list of players in the Event and tell me which ones are “developing” golfers ?

Do you think it’s a good thing LIV just buying this tour for the sole purpose of gaining world ranking points ?
I'm not twisiting anything - its factual - the PGA have changed their product dynamically to try and maintain their position in the golf world, LIV are doing the same - it's all a means to an end, which is giving both series a foothold in the game.

There are plenty of young golfers on the LIV series, and quite clearly, part of their business model is to pick up young players with potential.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
I'm not twisiting anything - its factual - the PGA have changed their product dynamically to try and maintain their position in the golf world, LIV are doing the same - it's all a means to an end, which is giving both series a foothold in the game.

There are plenty of young golfers on the LIV series, and quite clearly, part of their business model is to pick up young players with potential.
Which has naff all to do with LIV becoming a development tour, lower than the Challenge Tour, just to gain ranking points....

JamesR

Tour Winner

Didn’t they just get the young golfers, and has beens, to fill the spaces the big names didn’t take up?

Which has naff all to do with LIV becoming a development tour, lower than the Challenge Tour, just to gain ranking points....

So what was behind the strategic alliance between the PGA and DPWT? It might not have anything to do with OWGR points, but it has everything to do with strengthening the position of the PGA Tour.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
So what was behind the strategic alliance between the PGA and DPWT? It might not have anything to do with OWGR points, but it has everything to do with strengthening the position of the PGA Tour.
I don't know..I wasn't invited to the meeting.
We've moved on from where you are...we're onto LIV becoming a 6th rate Tour.....

IainP

Litigious Kill joy
Will be interesting to see the next moves - much of this "battle" is being played out as PR via the media.
Note the many golf media sources scrambling to break the story so not to be last. Positioning it as a done deal.
There's already a swell of 'change verses old guard' opinion going on - the size & numbers of course can be debated, but it is there.
If tomorrow the owgr, as per LPhil's posted tweets, throw mena out then how may that make them look ? (Esp to those not following the minutiae).
They're likely to be criticised whatever they do. Interesting times...

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Will be interesting to see the next moves - much of this "battle" is being played out as PR via the media.
Note the many golf media sources scrambling to break the story so not to be last. Positioning it as a done deal.
There's already a swell of 'change verses old guard' opinion going on - the size & numbers of course can be debated, but it is there.
If tomorrow the owgr, as per LPhil's posted tweets, throw mena out then how may that make them look ? (Esp to those not following the minutiae).
They're likely to be criticised whatever they do. Interesting times...
I don’t see them being “thrown out” as such but because the Mena Tour would clearly no longer be a development tour so they would need to fulfil the requirements of a main tour- so back to square one again

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
So, LiV is now officially a tinpot 3rd rate tour. ?
Its clearly better than that. At the moment its a mid ranking pre-Champions tour, or alternative Champions tour with recurring guest stars from the top tour.

The recent quiet, like the non event that was the 'exodus' to LIV post Fedex Cup finale, does confirm the recruitment campaign hit a wall. Leaving the big boys who jumped looking rather isolated.

Last edited: