LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm not twisiting anything - its factual - the PGA have changed their product dynamically to try and maintain their position in the golf world, LIV are doing the same - it's all a means to an end, which is giving both series a foothold in the game.

There are plenty of young golfers on the LIV series, and quite clearly, part of their business model is to pick up young players with potential.
Didn’t they just get the young golfers, and has beens, to fill the spaces the big names didn’t take up?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Which has naff all to do with LIV becoming a development tour, lower than the Challenge Tour, just to gain ranking points....

So what was behind the strategic alliance between the PGA and DPWT? It might not have anything to do with OWGR points, but it has everything to do with strengthening the position of the PGA Tour.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So what was behind the strategic alliance between the PGA and DPWT? It might not have anything to do with OWGR points, but it has everything to do with strengthening the position of the PGA Tour.
I don't know..I wasn't invited to the meeting.
We've moved on from where you are...we're onto LIV becoming a 6th rate Tour.....

D

Deleted member 15344

What relevance does that have to do with Mena ? How many Mena players can play this week in the LIV event ?

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Will be interesting to see the next moves - much of this "battle" is being played out as PR via the media.
Note the many golf media sources scrambling to break the story so not to be last. Positioning it as a done deal.
There's already a swell of 'change verses old guard' opinion going on - the size & numbers of course can be debated, but it is there.
If tomorrow the owgr, as per LPhil's posted tweets, throw mena out then how may that make them look ? (Esp to those not following the minutiae).
They're likely to be criticised whatever they do. Interesting times...

D

Deleted member 15344

Will be interesting to see the next moves - much of this "battle" is being played out as PR via the media.
Note the many golf media sources scrambling to break the story so not to be last. Positioning it as a done deal.
There's already a swell of 'change verses old guard' opinion going on - the size & numbers of course can be debated, but it is there.
If tomorrow the owgr, as per LPhil's posted tweets, throw mena out then how may that make them look ? (Esp to those not following the minutiae).
They're likely to be criticised whatever they do. Interesting times...

I don’t see them being “thrown out” as such but because the Mena Tour would clearly no longer be a development tour so they would need to fulfil the requirements of a main tour- so back to square one again

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So, LiV is now officially a tinpot 3rd rate tour. ?
Its clearly better than that. At the moment its a mid ranking pre-Champions tour, or alternative Champions tour with recurring guest stars from the top tour.

The recent quiet, like the non event that was the 'exodus' to LIV post Fedex Cup finale, does confirm the recruitment campaign hit a wall. Leaving the big boys who jumped looking rather isolated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21445

First post in 5 days. Crazy, what is going on. 5 days normally gives us 50 pages to read over. People been on holiday?

Yes I'm in the USA playing Merion East GC. ?

Be interesting to see how this Mena alliance plays out..

D

Deleted member 21445

Which has naff all to do with LIV becoming a development tour, lower than the Challenge Tour, just to gain ranking points....

Why does Liv become a lesser tour because of this alliance?

It's purely to gain OGWR points, nothing more.

Be aware that OGWR points are appointed by the strength of the field not the strength of the Mena Tour.
With the players Liv have they could have more points on offer than DP World Tour events which in essence makes it a higher tour.

This is a genius clever strategic move by Liv with Mena already getting OGWR points for their 54 hole events however I see this really kicking off now and getting super political with probably more frigging lawsuits when this gets bogged down in red tape.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Why does Liv become a lesser tour because of this alliance?

It's purely to gain OGWR points, nothing more.

Be aware that OGWR points are appointed by the strength of the field not the strength of the Mena Tour.
With the players Liv have they could have more points on offer than DP World Tour events.

This is a genius clever move by Liv however I see this really kicking off now and getting super political with probably more frigging lawsuits when this gets bogged down in red tape.

Although this is slightly tongue in cheek, it demonstrates the strength of the LIV tour in relation to some PGA Tour events.

Take away all the nonsense, and what we have are world class golfers, playing golf.

D

Deleted member 21445

Did MENA have a cut at any point over the 3 days before this, out of curiosity?

Good question and I'm not sure, I would guess yes.

Like I said in my previous post it's a very clever move by Liv but I don't see them getting points straight away. We are heading for more legal wrangling I reckon.

No way PGAT are letting Liv just get points this way without a fight because they know OWGR is the main reason a lot of PGAT players who fancy the money currently won't move over.

If they did automatically get points the winner in Bangkok would get decent OGWR points based on the strength of the field

Mena now feeds Asian tour, Asian tour feeds liv so helps with the pathway issue at least

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Good question and I'm not sure, I would guess yes.

Like I said in my previous post it's a very clever move by Liv but I don't see them getting points straight away. We are heading for more legal wrangling I reckon.

No way PGAT are letting Liv just get points this way without a fight because they know OWGR is the main reason a lot of PGAT players who fancy the money currently won't move over.

If they did the winner in Bangkok would get very good OGWR points

Mena now feeds Asian tour, Asian tour feeds liv so helps with the pathway issue at least

And that's the monopoly I do not agree with. PGA tour should have no say at all who gets ranking points and who doesn't. Should be a totally separate entity to the tour altogether.