LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems to be being reported in many places, but I'll wait until I see it on the OWGR website...

Not sure on the alliance or what it means for MENA Tour etc - but LIV Tour would be a development tour with MENA being the main tour

https://menatour.golf/tournaments

The event in Bangkok is now part of the Mena Tour it looks like which gets ranking points - and they have just given all the players Mena Tour membership

The Mena Tour pretty much stopped in May 2020 and then Asia Development Tour - so that’s what LIV will be - a development tour so it can stick with 54 holes etc but will be very small level of points

Players will also play on Mena Tour events - getting close to them playing every single week

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So......
If LIV is to be, effectively, a development tour...that is developing players with a view to them advancing to a tour further up the hierarchy........
Which Tour are the LIV players being "developed" for..?:unsure:
They still won't meet the 75 player average, Monday qualifying etc etc...

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah I noticed mena seemed to have stopped earlier in the year.
Maybe a case of "if being awkward will just game the system then" perhaps..

https://menatour.golf/tournament/entry-list/2022/liv-golf-invitational-bangkok

Mena is a pure development Tour for aspiring Pros and also top amateurs , the ranking points are assigned for that purpose - to keep the points it needs to be that sort of Tour I believe

it’s pretty desperate move and I wonder if it’s to appease some of the players who maybe having second thoughts

OWGR still haven’t said if the tournament will have any points assigned and you could see them saying no

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Mena is a pure development Tour for aspiring Pros and also top amateurs , the ranking points are assigned for that purpose - to keep the points it needs to be that sort of Tour I believe

it’s pretty desperate move and I wonder if it’s to appease some of the players who maybe having second thoughts

OWGR still haven’t said if the tournament will have any points assigned and you could see them saying no
As I posted earlier, I'll wait for owgr confirmation.

However is there anything actually written down about "development tours" and restricted points?

I've only seen this..
"Major Championships will continue to award 100 First-Place Points, while THE PLAYERS Championship will award 80. All other tournaments will award Ranking Points according to the strength and depth of their fields, with a maximum of 80 First-Place Points."

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Not sure it's a desperate move - it seems to me they've found a loophole to pick up OWGR points until the matter is resolved correctly.

It will be interesting to see how the rankings are affected after this weekends event.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure it's a desperate move - it seems to me they've found a loophole to pick up OWGR points until the matter is resolved correctly.

It will be interesting to see how the rankings are affected after this weekends event.

Of course it’s desperate and it might not even work

Mena is a pure development tour whose events in 2020 had a level of ranking points.

The event that Mena have added to their calendar last minute currently isn’t in the list of ranking events this weekend- so at the moment only these events will affect the rankings

https://www.owgr.com/this-week-s-events

The whole golf world can see what Norman is trying now , seeing how he hasn’t thought much through before I suspect he also hasn’t thought this through as well

Why would anyone want to see a development tour being bought like this ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Of course it’s desperate and it might not even work

Mena is a pure development tour whose events in 2020 had a level of ranking points.

The event that Mena have added to their calendar last minute currently isn’t in the list of ranking events this weekend- so at the moment only these events will affect the rankings

https://www.owgr.com/this-week-s-events

The whole golf world can see what Norman is trying now , seeing how he hasn’t thought much through before I suspect he also hasn’t thought this through as well

Why would anyone want to see a development tour being bought like this ?

Yes, why would anybody want to see the DPWT be bought in a strategic alliance with the PGA Tour, effectively sealing it's fate as a development tour.

The golf landscape is changing mate, and this is all part of the ongong process on both sides.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, why would anybody want to see the DPWT be bought in a strategic alliance with the PGA Tour, effectively sealing it's fate as a development tour.

The golf landscape is changing mate, and this is all part of the ongong process on both sides.

Why are are you twisting it round to the PGA and ET ? It’s irrelevant

Is this part of the “on going” process ? A tour which is for young pros and amateurs only for development in the sport being bought out by LiV ?

Look at the list of players in the Event and tell me which ones are “developing” golfers ?

Do you think it’s a good thing LIV just buying this tour for the sole purpose of gaining world ranking points ?

D

Deleted member 1147

MENA tour is a minor tour.
I played with Richard Mansell years ago, and he he was on that tour, before qualifying for the Challenge tour. So it’s lower than the 3rd tier of golf.
Strikes of desperation, to anyone but the biggest LiV sycophants.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Why are are you twisting it round to the PGA and ET ? It’s irrelevant

Is this part of the “on going” process ? A tour which is for young pros and amateurs only for development in the sport being bought out by LiV ?

Look at the list of players in the Event and tell me which ones are “developing” golfers ?

Do you think it’s a good thing LIV just buying this tour for the sole purpose of gaining world ranking points ?

I'm not twisiting anything - its factual - the PGA have changed their product dynamically to try and maintain their position in the golf world, LIV are doing the same - it's all a means to an end, which is giving both series a foothold in the game.

There are plenty of young golfers on the LIV series, and quite clearly, part of their business model is to pick up young players with potential.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm not twisiting anything - its factual - the PGA have changed their product dynamically to try and maintain their position in the golf world, LIV are doing the same - it's all a means to an end, which is giving both series a foothold in the game.

There are plenty of young golfers on the LIV series, and quite clearly, part of their business model is to pick up young players with potential.
Which has naff all to do with LIV becoming a development tour, lower than the Challenge Tour, just to gain ranking points....