LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

It does seem a strange deal with Fox but let's not forget Liv are only 5 events old.

Does anyone know how long the proposed deal is for... 2023 ?

Will streaming on You Tube still be available.
They are just starting to do some really good stuff on their own, the production on the Boston highlights they published this week is excellent.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
On a basic maths yes however when you factor in that the vast majority of the LIV guys still (at present) fulfill obligations elsewhere and compete in Europe or Japan etc then their schedule is significantly more than their LIV obligations.

I'm surprised that I had to explain that but at the risk of sounding like a broken record the haters.....

You get the picture

So let’s say that they currently do 26 events a year; how many of those LIV events will the PGA Tour and the DPWT agree to be co-sanctioned so that the LIV players who want to play both tours don’t have to do the full 15 on that tour as well in order to meet their membership criteria? A round number I’d suggest as they would be giving LIV exactly what they want and depriving some of their members of opportunities in order to accommodate LIV players. Let’s be totally honest here, the only reason that LIV players want these spaces is for ranking points.

I just don’t get how players who state that they want to play less can achieve that playing on two tours? And it’s just something else that doesn’t add up in the statements from LIV, which makes me suspicious of it. I’m not seeing how what they are doing will grow the game. They may take it to areas of the world that haven’t had tournaments before but that to me isn’t necessarily growing the game, it’s showcasing it. How will the increase access to the game for this new audience?

Re the broken record, you are coming across as a PGA and/or DPW Tour hater, and as you say yourself, hater’s gonna hate…

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Just to go slightly off topic for a moment, this isn't really about liv although of course every journalist seems to tie in something currently. Didn’t want to post on Presidents Cup thread while discussions were about the matches.

Anyway, I'd never really thought about how the PGA of America ended up with thr Ryder Cup - found it interesting..

https://clubhouse.swingu.com/tour/player-revolt-helped-presidents-cup-and-now-hurts-it/

D

Deleted member 21445

Rory seems to have softened his stance massively from Wentworth and Italian Open with his quotes today at St Andrews.

Should get round a table to bring golf back together (if the lawsuit is dropped)

Liv Golfers should get OWGR points if they can agree on a criteria, not right if DJ is ranked 100

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Rory seems to have softened his stance massively from Wentworth and Italian Open with his quotes today at St Andrews.

Should get round a table to bring golf back together (if the lawsuit is dropped)

Liv Golfers should get OWGR points if they can agree on a criteria, not right if DJ is ranked 100

Not sure he’s softened that much.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/63061058

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wow ! That is a very BIG thumbs down from the main US networks to broadcast LIV. In a business when networks are usually fighting hard to win multimillion, and billion $ deals for sports broadcasting rights, 5 major American channels literally said - you couldnt pay US to broadcast it !

Like the golfers, where 10% or so seem to be swayed to LIV by the big cash, one network has been. Presumably, Fox Sports has the same misgivings, but is swallowing them for the cheque.
So it moves to a cable channel there - looks like LIV thought as much about youtube being a credible medium as the rest of us...

But that is one big no-thank-you from the majority of American TV.

D

Deleted member 21445

It is a strange deal for sure but we must not forget they are only 15 rounds into their tour life.
Im guessing Fox have been clever here, only network left on the table after the streaming services sidestepped for now.

Fox knows they have pretty much unlimited cash to establish the tour and flipped it on them because they knew Liv needs to get its product in front of more people.
Good business move by Fox ?
Be interested to see the length of this deal, I'm guessing for 2023 before putting it out to tender again.

The key thing here is that no one knows is how much money or time the PIF have agreed to for the tour to get fully established?
Greg Norman keeps quoting they are putting 2 billion into golf in interviews.

The PGA Tour would have been hoping that Liv didn't get any TV deal of any kind but like it or not the fact is Liv can buy itself everything it needs to succeed from players, commentators, infrastructure, and now it seems national US TV network coverage.

That is what grinds on people the most I think but to take on the might and strength of position of the PGA Tour there is no other way to do it..

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the next step is rent-a-crowd for the venues, and pay per view TV spectators...as in LIV pays YOU if you watch the golf!

Blue in Munich

Visit site
What’s does he actually say? Ball is in their court, that’s about it, rest is just sound bites. He’d make a good politician ?

Squarely lays the blame for the ranking points fiasco where it belongs and says it’s good to talk but only when you drop the lawsuit. Not sure he’s that much of a politician. ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Keeping in mind that with current journalism, impartiality is like a unicorn..

Suggest skipping over the no doubt bias opinion stuff and down to the numbered paragraphs, which I thought made interesting reading -

https://teeboxtimes.com/?p=397

Very interesting

Re244, I wonder if there was a circular sent out to all the golf media productions to try and sway there attitude to LIV, from the PGA Tour? It seems that way even on here at times.

Reading that article it certainly wouldn’t surprise me.

D

Deleted member 1147

Very interesting

Re244, I wonder if there was a circular sent out to all the golf media productions to try and sway there attitude to LIV, from the PGA Tour? It seems that way even on here at times.

Reading that article it certainly wouldn’t surprise me.

We’re into conspiracy theories now are we?
Was Monaghan the man behind the grassy knoll?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We’re into conspiracy theories now are we?
Was Monaghan the man behind the grassy knoll?

So you think it’s wrong to question whether Golf Monthly are one of the organisations included in this ……

244. As part of its efforts to foreclose competition from LIV Golf and to foreclose competition for Plaintiffs’ services, the Tour has also threatened companies and individuals in the golf and sports production industry that they will be blackballed from working with the Tour if they work with LIV Golf.

D

Deleted member 1147

So you think it’s wrong to question whether Golf Monthly are one of the organisations included in this ……

244. As part of its efforts to foreclose competition from LIV Golf and to foreclose competition for Plaintiffs’ services, the Tour has also threatened companies and individuals in the golf and sports production industry that they will be blackballed from working with the Tour if they work with LIV Golf.
I don't really care