LIV Golf

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed watching the format again this weekend. Free of ads and subscription is great.

Is the fact it is being funded by the Saudi Royal family morally wrong? Probably, but so are DP Worlds sponsorship of the European Tour or Amaraco series on the Ladies European Tour, but people seem to support these tours without any issue? (unless I have missed the 250 page threads on both sponsorships on here before).

It is an interesting one because I also have moral issues with the funding but I also do not have any sport subscriptions and so, as far as what i can watch is concerned, the PGA Tour does not exist to me, the DP World Tour does not exist, the LPGA does not exist and so my golf viewing was simply highlights of the majors. Now I can watch some live golf. At least with other sports, there is some that is not hidden behind a pretty expensive pay wall, there is some football on TV, there is rugby on TV (and on Amazon Prime that I have for the delivery but the sport is a bonus), there is tennis on TV and on prime, there is some cricket on TV in fact golf is about the only sport that, until now, had absolutely no free to air coverage in the UK outside of highlights of the majors. There are many faults with LIV, the funding etc but as far as viewing is concerned, it is for me the only game in town.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I enjoyed watching the format again this weekend. Free of ads and subscription is great.

Is the fact it is being funded by the Saudi Royal family morally wrong? Probably, but so are DP Worlds sponsorship of the European Tour or Amaraco series on the Ladies European Tour, but people seem to support these tours without any issue? (unless I have missed the 250 page threads on both sponsorships on here before).
I think that's more of an 'excuse' for golfers, though definitely a valid reason for other groups, such as the 9/11 groups. Golfers seem, to me, pretty conservative/traditional folk who don't take to change, especially 'dramatic' change, particularly readily. And yes, I realise that's a pretty broad generalisation, but observation based.
The blatant sportswashing, with obscene, guaranteed, prizemoney, is probably what gets to most anti-LIV golfers - certainly this one and my playing group.
YouTube views 550k for final round seems pretty good - though Pumpkin Ridge final round has had 735k. Not sure what PR's next day figures were, so there may be some growth.

D

Deleted member 21445

Won't be popular on here I'm sure but I just don't see it as a them and us situation.

I like watching good golf on whatever tour, for now the free to watch ad free Liv coverage all done in 5hrs for me is a breath of fresh air but it won't last long.
Watched a podcast by Dan Patrick and he was saying FOX are in talks for a TV deal so if that happens you have to think Murdoch will widen it out to Sky, whether its them or not a TV deal will happen for 2023.

I also love watching the PGA Tour, especially the marquee events and the Majors are just incredible to watch, I find the DP events a bit harder to get into and when I went to the cazzoo classic in person it just didn't feel like being at a pro tournament to be honest.

The marquee BMW at Wentworth will be great though I'm sure..

D

Deleted member 23270

Saudi money is dirty? Well I never!
If LIV is causing such a moral outcry maybe the west should cut off all trade with the Saudis. Billions of pounds/dollars down the pan. Then we can take the moral high ground ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interestingly, they often show the women's golf live on YouTube for free. The Scottish Open last week was on. However, coverage of women's events often leaves a lot to be desired.
If I knew that was there I would watch it. Will keep an eye out

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Won't be popular on here I'm sure but I just don't see it as a them and us situation.

I like watching good golf on whatever tour, for now the free to watch ad free Liv coverage all done in 5hrs for me is a breath of fresh air but it won't last long.
Watched a podcast by Dan Patrick and he was saying FOX are in talks for a TV deal so if that happens you have to think Murdoch will widen it out to Sky, whether its them or not a TV deal will happen for 2023.

I also love watching the PGA Tour, especially the marquee events and the Majors are just incredible to watch, I find the DP events a bit harder to get into and when I went to the cazzoo classic in person it just didn't feel like being at a pro tournament to be honest.

The marquee BMW at Wentworth will be great though I'm sure..
Murdoch is no longer involved in Sky, he sold up a few years ago.

The way the PGA in particular are reacting to all things LIV, I'm not sure sky will go in with them. It could well threaten their rights deal with the pga and they, currently, value that higher. Whether one of the other broadcasters, amazon for example, fancy it, that's another matter.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Saudi money is dirty? Well I never!
If LIV is causing such a moral outcry maybe the west should cut off all trade with the Saudis. Billions of pounds/dollars down the pan. Then we can take the moral high ground ?

So the answer to any amount of hypocrisy is just more hypocrisy?

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It is an interesting one because I also have moral issues with the funding but I also do not have any sport subscriptions and so, as far as what i can watch is concerned, the PGA Tour does not exist to me, the DP World Tour does not exist, the LPGA does not exist and so my golf viewing was simply highlights of the majors. Now I can watch some live golf. At least with other sports, there is some that is not hidden behind a pretty expensive pay wall, there is some football on TV, there is rugby on TV (and on Amazon Prime that I have for the delivery but the sport is a bonus), there is tennis on TV and on prime, there is some cricket on TV in fact golf is about the only sport that, until now, had absolutely no free to air coverage in the UK outside of highlights of the majors. There are many faults with LIV, the funding etc but as far as viewing is concerned, it is for me the only game in town.
Indeed, I don't subscribe to Sky as I'm not a fan of paying (an increasing amount) for subscription to then have my viewing constantly interrupted by adverts. Either charge a subscription or show adverts, but not both...
They also have a stranglehold on the established tours, so have no competition for coverage in the UK. I'm sure eventually they'll try to secure the LIV rights, unless the PGA lean on them...

D

Deleted member 21445

Murdoch is no longer involved in Sky, he sold up a few years ago.

The way the PGA in particular are reacting to all things LIV, I'm not sure sky will go in with them. It could well threaten their rights deal with the pga and they, currently, value that higher. Whether one of the other broadcasters, amazon for example, fancy it, that's another matter.

Good point well made.
Didn't realise that he wasn't involved now

Mickelson hinted in his press conference that a streaming service could be the likely candidate..

Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Netflix, Dazn TV.???

Last edited by a moderator:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Amazon could be the likely open. Semi respectable, unlike youtube, pay per view or subscription. They have dipped their toe in the live sports water a few times but it never really seems to have stuck. I think LIV would know that would be the end of any viewers in the UK at least I feel : Sky or free are the only two options.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Haven’t seen the comment from Phil about future streaming but Bubba mentioned it in his interview on the weekend, so that would suggest to me that they want to maintain a free stream going forwards. I’m sure they’ll want/try to supplement with tv broadcasts, but it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
What they have already is much more viewer friendly than what a lot of people get served up watching the tours, I’ve read plenty of positive compliments moments across social media.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Haven’t seen the comment from Phil about future streaming but Bubba mentioned it in his interview on the weekend, so that would suggest to me that they want to maintain a free stream going forwards. I’m sure they’ll want/try to supplement with tv broadcasts, but it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
What they have already is much more viewer friendly than what a lot of people get served up watching the tours, I’ve read plenty of positive compliments moments across social media.
Probably more that mention how gag inducing the commentators are with the hyping of the teams though. The insincerity is laid on with a trowel, and everyone knows the commentators think it is garbage as well.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site

Having watched the Tennis and PL football via streaming on Amazon Prime, there is no chance it's much more viewer friendly, infact it's considerably worse.

To suggest so, is incredibly delusional.

D

Deleted member 15344

To keep a free stream means keeping it on the the likes of you tube , Facebook etc -

Something needs to bring in the commercial money - that means adverts

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Having watched the Tennis and PL football via streaming on Amazon Prime, there is no chance it's much more viewer friendly, infact it's considerably worse.

To suggest so, is incredibly delusional.

Sorry, can you clarify your point?

I’m pointing out that what Liv golf are offering is more viewer friendly than the advert laden coverage that a lot of viewers get of tour golf? A sentiment that I’ve seen repeated numerous times over the last few days.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site

I’m pointing out that what Liv golf are offering is more viewer friendly than the advert laden coverage that a lot of viewers get of tour golf? A sentiment that I’ve seen repeated numerous times over the last few days.

My point is streaming sport is a far less enjoyable watch than a HD crystal clear service we are currently receiving through sky/nbc etc

I wouldnt class having less/no adverts as being “ much more viewer friendly”. A break in coverage gives a chance to refill my scotch, take a toilet break without missing anything etc.

Also, having the opportunity to pause,rewind and record is a great option.

With all of the above in mind, to make such a statement like the one you made, is delusional.

RRidges

Visit site

Amazon Prime doesn't have ads for Tennis or, from memory, PL Football.
@HomecountiesJohn Tennis provides sufficient breaks - about every 2nd game - for comfort breaks. And there's almost enough time for a group you may be following between finishing putting out and teeing off the next hole for the same with LIV. One of the things that have taken a bit of getting used to - and I still don't much like - is the leaping from group to group that LIV broadcast does.
The lack of adverts is a 'benefit' of LIV's failure/decision wrt additional sponsorship through advertising/a 'proper' broadcaster. For Pro-LIV folk to subsequently claim that and 'universal access' as a benefit makes me chortle, though, from memory, I predicted it would happen!

4LEX

Visit site
Stenson winning shows how laughable this venture is currently. Weak limited fields going through the motions. It's clown golf for dossers. I've actually given it a chance to see what it's about and won't watch it again. I'd rather watch back to back Homes under the Hammer with Dion Dublin than that sycophantic nonsense.

Embarrassing stuff seeing Stenson and Poulter banging on about 'The Captain' trying to make cheap digs.

Forget where the money comes from, golf has always been a game about class, integrity and respect and these jokers have destroyed all that.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
My point is streaming sport is a far less enjoyable watch than a HD crystal clear service we are currently receiving through sky/nbc etc

I wouldnt class having less/no adverts as being “ much more viewer friendly”. A break in coverage gives a chance to refill my scotch, take a toilet break without missing anything etc.

Also, having the opportunity to pause,rewind and record is a great option.

With all of the above in mind, to make such a statement like the one you made, is delusional.

I don’t understand your logic.
If an advert comes on tv you are missing live coverage ?
If you’re watching on YouTube you can also pause, rewind, fast forward coverage so you effectively miss nothing.
Granted you can get ultra HD via Sky but you pay through the nose for it.