LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

Not been a fan of the team aspect so far but Strangely find myself pulling for the Majestics to win this because of the European team flavour.

Henrik still playing great, got my fingers crossed for him here with 4 to go ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think they are doing themselves any good with thehea y team push from commentators and press statements. It's patent nonsense. No one likes it. Yes, NO one. They are really undermining the credibility of it as real sport, making it sound like It's A Knockout does golf. It's pathetic.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't think they are doing themselves any good with thehea y team push from commentators and press statements. It's patent nonsense. No one likes it. Yes, NO one. They are really undermining the credibility of it as real sport, making it sound like It's A Knockout does golf. It's pathetic.
I can't remember hearing Feherty mentioning the team format at all.(y)
On the other hand, his fellow commentators have been pushing it like crazy!(n)

D

Deleted member 1147

It's all got pretty depressing.

IMO Saudi Arabia is one of the most despicable regimes on the planet and they set these events up for the sole purpose of laundering their reputation. Just as they do with other sports like F1, boxing and also now moving in on English football.

The multi-millionaire golfers who have switched from the tours in which they made their millions and in which they could have continued to make millions deserve all the opprobrium that has been aimed at them and more. These guys are self-centered assholes who don't give a damn about anyone else. I have slightly more sympathy for some of the lesser lights who joined. Andy Ogiltree, for example, a talented golfer who looks to be not quite good enough to make it decided to cash in while there was money on offer. Still taking the dirty money but clearly a harder decision to turn it down when you're not financially comfortable. I also read an interview with a guy, whose name I have sadly forgotten, who has been playing on the Asian tour and he said he's always wondered how his game would stack up against PGA tour players and it looked like this would be his opportunity to find out. I get that and I'm sure the money doesn't hurt either.

What I am finding dispiriting is that, already, the sports washing is working. I'm a bit golf obsessed so I read various media outlets, listen to podcasts etc and already the criticism of where the funding is coming from has almost entirely stopped. Now it's either ignored altogether or a token reference is made. Sadly, Golf Monthly, appears particularly complicit with its content. One of the podcasts I regularly listen to, in their most recent episode, even turned their passing comment on the treatment of women in SA into a joke. I somehow doubt they'd be laughing if it was a matriarchal society that considered the men to be property.

A lot of the players they've signed were guys I didn't particularly care for but it's harder to reconcile with players I once admired and rooted for. Gmac, Poulter, Stenson, Westwood, Casey etc. Plenty of fans won't care but these are players I have lost all respect for. Stenson probably the worst given his about face on the promises he made when taking on the Ryder Cup captaincy and his recent comments as if the whole world didn't know he couldn't be RC captain if he joined liv.

The latest event has already provided all the evidence ever needed as to why the Open can never return to Turnberry while Trump owns it as he turned up to preside over the event which then started to look increasingly like one of his rallies with the right wing chanting that was reported. Golf has a bad enough image without fostering closer ties with MBS and Trump.

Looks like liv will be around for as long as that regime are prepared to pump dirty money into it and golf is all the worse for it. Kudos to those players with a conscience who have refused to be swayed. Those are the guys to admire.
I've noticed that Golf Monthly's twitter does seem like a LIVbot at times...seemingly a lot advertising for it

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I enjoyed watching the format again this weekend. Free of ads and subscription is great.

Is the fact it is being funded by the Saudi Royal family morally wrong? Probably, but so are DP Worlds sponsorship of the European Tour or Amaraco series on the Ladies European Tour, but people seem to support these tours without any issue? (unless I have missed the 250 page threads on both sponsorships on here before).