LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My point is streaming sport is a far less enjoyable watch than a HD crystal clear service we are currently receiving through sky/nbc etc

I wouldnt class having less/no adverts as being “ much more viewer friendly”. A break in coverage gives a chance to refill my scotch, take a toilet break without missing anything etc.

Also, having the opportunity to pause,rewind and record is a great option.

With all of the above in mind, to make such a statement like the one you made, is delusional.

Pretty sure my picture has been crystal clear on all the LIV streams I’ve watched, both on YouTube, and on the Liv golf website.
I have seen one or two people mention it not being a clear picture but that has been put down to internet connection quality by those responding.

You can pause and rewind the streams on you tube, plus there’s a ton of other highlight reels, interviews, etc that will stay there for as long as anybody wants to watch them, plus, and this is key, you can easily watch a stream on any device. Phone, tablet, tv, Xbox, PlayStation…

I’m not sure you’re argument that I’m delusional is accurate given all that?

D

Deleted member 21445

To keep a free stream means keeping it on the the likes of you tube , Facebook etc -

Something needs to bring in the commercial money - that means adverts

Yes your right it will be a subscription streaming service that will bid for it.

Some of those don't have adverts though..

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
My point is streaming sport is a far less enjoyable watch than a HD crystal clear service we are currently receiving through sky/nbc etc

I wouldnt class having less/no adverts as being “ much more viewer friendly”. A break in coverage gives a chance to refill my scotch, take a toilet break without missing anything etc.

Also, having the opportunity to pause,rewind and record is a great option.

With all of the above in mind, to make such a statement like the one you made, is delusional.
The BBC streamed Wimbledon in 4k on iPlayer. As they will the world cup. It's way better than the regular 1080p stuff on BBC1 HD

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yes your right it will be a subscription streaming service that will bid for it.

It always amazes me how Red Bull make any money, sponsor loads of events globally for extreme sports, run a F1 team, and offer a free streaming service for loads of events.

Somewhere in their business plan, LIVs strategy will overlap.

D

Deleted member 21445

It always amazes me how Red Bull make any money, sponsor loads of events globally for extreme sports, run a F1 team, and offer a free streaming service for loads of events.

To have any chance of becoming sustainable they have to sign a lucrative TV deal as well as other sponsorship opportunities like tournament sponsors and franchising the teams.

The unknown is whether PIF have said it must become sustainable in the future.

They may have said here's 2 billion to get it off the ground and then you have to become sustainable.
They may have said its good PR for our country so we are happy to write it off forever.

We can all hypothesise and have views on that but no one has a clue other than GN and PIF

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
...One of the things that have taken a bit of getting used to - and I still don't much like - is the leaping from group to group that LIV broadcast does.
Is interesting how we have different preferences and views ?
Personally I found the most recent one had moved to be more similar to the regular broadcasts. There seemed to be a lot more coverage of players walking about & faffing around, where I'd have preferred they cut away for some golf shots and come back when ready. Also seemed to be showing more the holing out of 18 inch putts.
Anyway maybe this thread will slow down for a few weeks....

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep they don’t have adverts - only watched Football and Rugby on Prime and there were Prime adverts during half time etc

But it then become a subscription service so the “free” viewing goes

Have no doubt that LIV will try and charge a fortune for the rights and that cost will go to the consumer - so if people want to watch golf it’s going to be the same as Football , going to need a minimum of two subscriptions

D

Deleted member 15344

Selling just under 8billion cans of Red Bull is a good start

Revenue of just over £5bn

Net income of around £700mil

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Pretty sure my picture has been crystal clear on all the LIV streams I’ve watched, both on YouTube, and on the Liv golf website.
I have seen one or two people mention it not being a clear picture but that has been put down to internet connection quality by those responding.

You can pause and rewind the streams on you tube, plus there’s a ton of other highlight reels, interviews, etc that will stay there for as long as anybody wants to watch them, plus, and this is key, you can easily watch a stream on any device. Phone, tablet, tv, Xbox, PlayStation…

I’m not sure you’re argument that I’m delusional is accurate given all that?

How ironic, your stream has been crystal clear ?

Never had any issues with streaming except for Tennis, football and LIV golf.

All things being equal, no adverts doesnt make it a "much more viewer friendly" than the current offering from Sky.

It's impossible to see every single shot live, you can only watch 1 golfer play at one time.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
How ironic, your stream has been crystal clear ?

Never had any issues with streaming except for Tennis, football and LIV golf.

All things being equal, no adverts doesnt make it a "much more viewer friendly" than the current offering from Sky.

It's impossible to see every single shot live, you can only watch 1 golfer play at one time.
Says a man trying to justify his extortionate sky subscription…

sunshine

Visit site
To keep a free stream means keeping it on the the likes of you tube , Facebook etc -

Something needs to bring in the commercial money - that means adverts

This is the thing, there is no need for adverts because Liv doesn’t stand on its own feet commercially. That’s the whole point of this sports washing project.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
This is the thing, there is no need for adverts because Liv doesn’t stand on its own feet commercially. That’s the whole point of this sports washing project.

How much reading have you done on this topic Sunshine, long term, it exists to generate income for the Saudis, not to constantly drain it away.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
How much reading have you done on this topic Sunshine, long term, it exists to generate income for the Saudis, not to constantly drain it away.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Good luck with that on current model!
$25M/Tournament prize money even before 'production costs' ain't gonna be recovered anytime soon! :rolleyes:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Guardian reporting that LIV offered Tiger $700-800m to come over, which he turned down.

That is just ludicrous money
As a Billionaire already, that's nowhere near the sort of offer/assets ratio the early sign-ups were offered.
Apparently Nicklaus rejected a $100M offer for a management role too.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally I found the most recent one had moved to be more similar to the regular broadcasts. There seemed to be a lot more coverage of players walking about & faffing around, where I'd have preferred they cut away for some golf shots and come back when ready. Also seemed to be showing more the holing out of 18 inch putts.
I noticed that too. Seems better not having to instantly adjust after virtually every shot. Feherty's laid back commentary style has been a welcome relief too. The mic-in-the-hole was a great innovation though.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Extortionate?? I dont think so.

With a petty response like this, I will stand by my intial comment.

Mate, you can't be going round calling people delusional then get upset when somebody describes SkyTv as extortianate, when we are having a discussion about a proffessional golf tour that is currently free to watch.

Either engage in the debate, or stay well clear of it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched some of it on the weekend. Some of the cuts were definitely too quick. At one point Westwood overhit a chip that looked to be rolling towards the far edge of the green which had water just the other side of it... they cut away to someone putting before the ball had even stopped moving! :LOL:

Swango1980

Visit site
I watched bits of the first one out of curiosity. Also, because it was in London, I was able to watch it on one of my office monitors. At home though, I have better things to be doing.

It was never really going to appeal to me anyway. I usually stick to the Majors, WGCs, Ryder Cup, Fedex Tour Championships and a few of the other regular PGA events. I don't watch most if the more minor PGA events anyway, and LIV is no more appealing than those. To me, it is far less appealing as a fan. Why:

• Limited fields, so less likely you'll have a large bunch of golfers fighting for the win.
  • All action is only in the space of four or so hours. For me, unless I have huge interest in an event, I'm happy to simply tune in when I can, and watch a bit of golf. If that is early in the days play, I may get pulled in and watch a bit more as the day progresses. With LIV, there is significantly less broadcast time of golf (even without ads) as they all play at the same time.
  • LIV is only 3 days, see point above about broadcasting less golf.
  • There is no cut. At least with PGA events there is some incentive to watch players fight to make the cut, as well as build a lead.
  • The small amount of time I watched it, and feedback from others, is that LIV flips back and forth between many different players more frequently. To be honest, I have no interest in watching Phil, Brooks or any other talented player (or otherwise) when they are playing poorly, and hacking it around the course with zero chance of playing for anything.
  • The team element is just awful. I'd like to just ignore it, but because it is mentioned it becomes an unnecessary distraction.
  • LIV fans moan that the LIV players may not compete in Majors in the future due to their rankings falling, and that this would detract from the Majors. Perhaps to a degree. But, that exact argument is applicable to each and every LIV event, on steroids. Players are invited to play. Many will not be invited, and many of the top players have still refused due to their standing on the PGA Tour / European Tour. So, who cares who wins a LIV event, as it is tarnished by not having the likes of McIlroy, Thomas, Cantlay, Spieth and many many more, who have the potential to beat anyone on LIV in any given week.
It is still interesting how things will progress. I can see exactly why many players are happy to take the cash. But how long will that cash be given out, as I cannot see LIV generating more interest from fans in comparison to the Majors and WGCs. Maybe it'll attract fans who are not willing to put their hand in their pocket to subscribe to Sky, but I don't think that will help the sustainability of the money being thrown away at the moment.