LIV Golf

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Guys, it's a start up business!! How on earth would they have sold that to a major televison network, and expected to receive a massive chunk of money for it, and expected some of those broadcasters to reschedule the golf they have already committed to broadcasting so they can show this product that nobody has any knowlegde of??

And to think there's a geezer on here calling me delusional, and people on one side of the debate are actually liking that comment.

This is a poor argument - the XFL (a rival to the NFL without any big names) already has a five-year deal with ESPN for when it launches in 2023. It has much less funding and star power than LIV.

Swango1980

Visit site
Who actually watches PGA Tour golf tournaments?
If they do I would bet it’s almost solely the last round, and for a couple of hours at most…and then only very occasionally?

I would expect that the overwhelming bulk of golf viewing is the Majors and the Ryder Cup, and only then perhaps the Players at a distance behind

I’m pretty sure that two of the biggest supporters of the PGA Tour on this thread agreed that they rarely watched it
When I first got Sky, I used to watch the PGA events nearly every day (Thursday-Sunday). It generated my interest in the PGA Tour generally, although now I only tend to watch my favourite ones (like the Pro-Am and Pebble Beach), and stick to the Majors/WGCs. Mainly because I usually have a lot of football to watch.

However, my mate watched loads of the PGA Tour and European Tour every week. Basically it is the only thing on his TV when he is in the house. I know quite a few golfers at my club that are the same. I'm often being asked by some random guy in my group "did you see such and such" referring to some golf recently on TV. I usually say no, unless it was in one of the big ones.

Swango1980

Visit site
No idea, I wouldn't have thought so though. Certainly my sports pack (inc liv) isn't free to air (although doubtless i could get it from the same source as folk in the UK I suppose)
My point was that far from 'not being able to secure a broadcast deal', liv actually have much of the world already signed up
Yeah, but the point I was making was simply that an argument FOR LIV cannot be that it is free to air and has no ads. That may be the case in the UK at the moment, but that was almost certainly not part of their business plan. A certain LIV fan appears to be suggesting that this is part of LIVs masterplan, and that it could never have attracted a major broadcaster as it is a start up business. This point of view seems to be utterly false.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they do I would bet it’s almost solely the last round, and for a couple of hours at most…and then only very occasionally?

I would expect that the overwhelming bulk of golf viewing is the Majors and the Ryder Cup, and only then perhaps the Players at a distance behind

I’m pretty sure that two of the biggest supporters of the PGA Tour on this thread agreed that they rarely watched it
You're right. I have watched a bit of the LIV tournaments out of curiosity, but ultimately my interest won't last simply because they're not majors. Nothing to do with who's in the field or anything.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, but the point I was making was simply that an argument FOR LIV cannot be that it is free to air and has no ads. That may be the case in the UK at the moment, but that was almost certainly not part of their business plan. A certain LIV fan appears to be suggesting that this is part of LIVs masterplan, and that it could never have attracted a major broadcaster as it is a start up business. This point of view seems to be utterly false.

I think that LIV just has a far higher hurdle to clear for that first TV deal as I have little doubt that the PGA, and by proxy the DP Tour, will pull the plug on any future dealings with a company that covers LIV so LIV have taken the obvious route and gone it alone on YouTube. Now, the interestng thing will be when it comes to the next round of negotiations. Will the V companies use the threat of LIV as a bargaining tool and, most importantly, will the PGA Tour stick up for the DP tour as that has become arguably less relevant almost overnight. If the Asia Tour takes on the LIV golfers looking for ranking points, would that now be looked at for a TV deal or would he PGA Tour try and block that.

Whatever happens, the next round of TV talks could be brutal.

Reactions: SyR

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Yeah I get it. I was just pointing out that 'no broadcaster wants it' is very much a UK/US only issue and maybe says more about the pay tv 'market' in those areas compared to other territories

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're right. I have watched a bit of the LIV tournaments out of curiosity, but ultimately my interest won't last simply because they're not majors. Nothing to do with who's in the field or anything.

I do somewhat agree with that. I find golf is not a great viewer spectacle and so LIV is perfect for me to have on in the backgroudn whilst doing other things, it is also why I do not pay for any golf coverage. Last 9 holes of the majors has great drama, anything else I can take or leave.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Same, I watch the majors, Players and Waste Management that’s about it. I may flick on to the golf channel to see what’s happening but I certainly won’t invest any serious time into regular pga and et tour events.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Here is a question then. Let us say LIV does go down the subscription route in the future, with ads (basically, let us say it goes to Sky). What will you do? Are you going to stop watching LIV, or are you finally going to get your hand out of your pocket and pay for Sky?

I'll find an illegal stream and watch it on that for nowt. ;-)

No, serisously, I've enjoyed watching LIV and if it did become part of the Sky package, and that was the only way to access it, I'd certainly be more tempted to part with my cash.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same, I watch the majors, Players and Waste Management that’s about it. I may flick on to the golf channel to see what’s happening but I certainly won’t invest any serious time into regular pga and et tour events.

I think this is an inherent issue with ay sport that defines a number of major or grand slam events, everything else just feels like a warm up, practice or qualifying for the few events that matter.

D

Deleted member 21445

Sounds like Mickleson Gate put Liv back by 12 months so cost them way more than the 200mil signing on fee. ?
Talks other Saudi money in golf
Talks about Trump associaition
And other stuff..

Greg Norman interview here

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll find an illegal stream and watch it on that for nowt. ;-)

No, serisously, I've enjoyed watching LIV and if it did become part of the Sky package, and that was the only way to access it, I'd certainly be more tempted to part with my cash.

Do you actually work for LIV or have a particular interest in its success?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some people seem to have forgotten that LiV is only free to watch on YouTube because none of the mainstream broadcasters currently want it. The way some people are spinning it as a positive as though it has been done on purpose to allow the masses to watch it for free is laughable.
Currently
Won’t be long

D

Deleted member 15344

Just to clarify just because some isn’t a fan of the LIV tour doesn’t make them supporters of the PGA Tour

And when it comes to watching , most will watch the majors , Ryder Cup - I’ll watch the WGC’s , Players and then things like Memorial at times or if nothing else is on

It’s good for background stuff - even more so the ET during the day

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
My phone / internet / TV package is £26 a month. So in my opinion, at 400% the cost of mine - give or take, I'd say yours is extortionate.

I find LIV more viewer friendly, because, for starters, ANYBODY can view it, it isn't bogged down with adverts and needless analysis, it's condensed into a shorter timeframe, there is more action while you are watching, the visuals are more viewer friendly, and the coverage connects directly with the LIV golf website. I can also watch it anywhere, on any device, without needing to log in to any accounts or download any specific apps.

It's not a true comparison though is it.

Like i said, it's all relative. I watch a range of sports and think over a month i get a good deal.

It's a crazy concept i know but if you want certain things in life you have to pay the going rate.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It's not a true comparison though is it.

Like i said, it's all relative. I watch a range of sports and think over a month i get a good deal.

It's a crazy concept i know but if you want certain things in life you have to pay the going rate.

Absolutely, you think it's value, I think it's extortionate, neither one of us is right or wrong, but, when you are currently able to watch some of the worlds highest profile golfers play golf, for free, then it devalues the packages that Sky are offering.