LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

Bold move.
PGA Tour have gone straight to Joe biden & lobbying on capitol Hill to try and stop the liv golf tour based on the origin of the funding

Wasnt Biden just in Saudi Arabia negotiating for a better oil deal recently.

Also the department for justice are reported to be investigating the PGA Tour for anticompetitive behavior for suspending players.

Don't see either resulting in anything significant but the legal battles are kicking off.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/21/ins...ing-effort-against-saudi-funded-liv-golf.html

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Beacuse there wasnt. It isnt about the source of the money. Its about control.
Seems to me people are getting a bit obsessed about it and basically just making the same points over & over again.
They won’t be watching it but are spending hours discussing it ?‍♂️
And it is about the source of the money ??

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seems to me people are getting a bit obsessed about it and basically just making the same points over & over again.
They won’t be watching it but are spending hours discussing it ?‍♂️
And it is about the source of the money ??
Why do you think it about the source of the money, when as you state, there wasnt uproar before with other Saudi funding. The game chamger with LIV is that they want to control the key professional tournaments outside of the 4 majors with the worlds best players, and a structure that steals the crown jewels of wins and Fedex rankings from the pgat. It wants to drink the pgats milkshake, and make it a feeder second division. THATS the issue now. The source of the money is what enables LIV to be that threat. But the source, in and of itself is not the issue for the pgat.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Why do you think it about the source of the PGAT money, when as you state, there wasnt uproar before with other Saudi funding. The game chamger with LIV is that they want to control the key professional tournaments outside of the 4 majors with the worlds best players, and a structure that steals the crown jewels of wins and Fedex rankings from the pgat. It wants to drink the pgats milkshake, and make it a feeder second division. THATS the issue now. The source of the money is what enables LIV to be that threat. But the source, in and of itself is not the issue for the pgat.

So where is your concern about the source of the money that has taken and continues to take away the top players away from the ET/DPWT - and the extra funding for prize money they’ve just announced to try and keep CONTROL of all the worlds best golfers?

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Why do you think it about the source of the money, when as you state, there wasnt uproar before with other Saudi funding. The game chamger with LIV is that they want to control the key professional tournaments outside of the 4 majors with the worlds best players, and a structure that steals the crown jewels of wins and Fedex rankings from the pgat. It wants to drink the pgats milkshake, and make it a feeder second division. THATS the issue now. The source of the money is what enables LIV to be that threat. But the source, in and of itself is not the issue for the pgat.
So no one’s mentioned where the money is coming from?
No one’s mentioned sports washing?
No one’s mentioned the Saudis executing people?
I suggest you read this thread from the start ??

D

Deleted member 15344

So where is your concern about the source of the money that has taken and continues to take away the top players away from the ET/DPWT - and the extra funding for prize money they’ve just announced to try and keep CONTROL of all the worlds best golfers?

When it comes to being critical of the Ladies and Aramco I think the reactions have been different for a few reasons

1. The ladies game without disrespecting doesn’t have the world wide appeal and attention that the mens game does so it will be going under the radar

2. It was a couple of years ago that the ladies golf were very vocal about human rights and ladies equal opportunities but then they took the Saudi money and there was a thread on here that did get heated and many were very critical of the hypocrisy

In regards the “source” of sponsership etc at many golf tournaments the vast majority will not know what company sponsers what and also the back drop of that company, I don’t know half the company’s that sponser events on the PGA or ET - people don’t know the source

It was only recently that people even knew who Aramco were and their background - same with DP etc

The subtle difference when it comes to LIV is the sole funding is coming from the Saudi state - it’s not a company it’s the States Investment Fund - the same state that many people have been critical about for many reasons which most can’t be discussed but the same state that does have horrific human rights and recently assassinated a journalist

The PGA tour isn’t funded by the US government funds, the ET isn’t funded by any European Governments etc and the same with any golf tour as far as I’m aware

Hence why it comes under the title of sports washing - it’s the stage trying to find a way to clean their image up or should we say hide the atrocities that happen and using money and sport to do that

Some are critical of that , some are critical of the funds

Myself - the money levels I believe are disgusting - where it comes from isn’t my primary complaint , my issue is the level players are getting and the whole closed nature of it all. Golf has tried hard to clean up images and imo LIV golf is damaging it right now because of the way it is going about things and that’s all derived by one person whose motives are about the good of the game of growing the game it’s about a grudge against a tour and using a bottomless pit of money to carry that out.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

So let's be clear, where do you stand on the ethics of taking the Saudi money:

1. Don't give a toss what the source of the money is, you can spend in the shops
2. A bit uncomfortable but the world is a messy place and much of the money in it is dirty
3. Really don't approve but it will change as more sponsors come in
4. Evil blood money from Beelzebub himself

OK, you don't think it is 4, but which of those is closest?

AussieKB

Visit site
So let's be clear, where do you stand on the ethics of taking the Saudi money:

1. Don't give a toss what the source of the money is, you can spend in the shops
2. A bit uncomfortable but the world is a messy place and much of the money in it is dirty
3. Really don't approve but it will change as more sponsors come in
4. Evil blood money from Beelzebub himself

OK, you don't think it is 4, but which of those is closest?
Let's go Brandon was just in Saudi begging for oil so it must be OK as far as the yanks are concerned, have had many English and Aussie friends go and work there, and no one I know has ever complained about it.

So I guess I am number 1.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
When it comes to being critical of the Ladies and Aramco I think the reactions have been different for a few reasons

1. The ladies game without disrespecting doesn’t have the world wide appeal and attention that the mens game does so it will be going under the radar

2. It was a couple of years ago that the ladies golf were very vocal about human rights and ladies equal opportunities but then they took the Saudi money and there was a thread on here that did get heated and many were very critical of the hypocrisy

In regards the “source” of sponsership etc at many golf tournaments the vast majority will not know what company sponsers what and also the back drop of that company, I don’t know half the company’s that sponser events on the PGA or ET - people don’t know the source

It was only recently that people even knew who Aramco were and their background - same with DP etc

The subtle difference when it comes to LIV is the sole funding is coming from the Saudi state - it’s not a company it’s the States Investment Fund - the same state that many people have been critical about for many reasons which most can’t be discussed but the same state that does have horrific human rights and recently assassinated a journalist

The PGA tour isn’t funded by the US government funds, the ET isn’t funded by any European Governments etc and the same with any golf tour as far as I’m aware

Hence why it comes under the title of sports washing - it’s the stage trying to find a way to clean their image up or should we say hide the atrocities that happen and using money and sport to do that

Some are critical of that , some are critical of the funds

Myself - the money levels I believe are disgusting - where it comes from isn’t my primary complaint , my issue is the level players are getting and the whole closed nature of it all. Golf has tried hard to clean up images and imo LIV golf is damaging it right now because of the way it is going about things and that’s all derived by one person whose motives are about the good of the game of growing the game it’s about a grudge against a tour and using a bottomless pit of money to carry that out.
Are you ok with the money levels in other sports?
Football for example.
Players on £200k pw wanting £300k pw?
Or is that also discusting? ?‍♂️
And im pretty sure you’ve expressed a issue with where the money is coming from several times ????

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So no one’s mentioned where the money is coming from?
No one’s mentioned sports washing?
No one’s mentioned the Saudis executing people?
I suggest you read this thread from the start ??
Thats a bit Kathy Newman - so what you are saying is Im a lobster.

No. I suggest you read the thread more closely. I didnt say no one has mentioned those issues.
I am saying that the PGAT has a different issue, and is not fighting LIV because of executions. It is fighting for commercial control that it holds, but is now threatened.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let's go Brandon was just in Saudi begging for oil so it must be OK as far as the yanks are concerned, have had many English and Aussie friends go and work there, and no one I know has ever complained about it.

So I guess I am number 1.

I wouldn't go to Saudi to work, but I don't consider working there, especially for an international company, on a par with taking money directly from the Saudi royal family.