LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 21445

They're not all going to get one because they can't all play at the same time.....unless they're going to have 3 or 4 events running at the same time..

I think its probably a mistake to think that the current Liv Model is set in stone and will limit the damage that can be done to the PGA Tour.

As has been mentioned it could go 72 hole with a 54 player cut and then have a shotgun start for the Saturday and Sunday.
With their financial backing they would give a payday to players with missed the cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
This must be very worrying for the PGA Tour. This is not hearsay he is an agent for PGA Tour players and obviously talks to other agents as well as having other inside knowledge.

It probably is worrying for the PGA Tour, how worried remains to be seen; the intervening period post Fed Ex Cup & start of the season proper (not the wrap around nonsense) is probably going to be crucial.

I've read a lot of comments by pros, some of which could be interpreted as a 'make me an offer', others which are quite clear. For example, Max Homa is very clear, appears very much to be taking his lead from McIlroy. Jamie Donaldson, it appears, would welcome an offer but really, having not played in the first tournament, even the LIV field on average has moved well beyond him.

I've also read, albeit unsubstantiated, a lot of commentary with regard to Monahan and Pelley and general dissatisfaction with their handling of things (particularly Pelley it must be said). To be taken with more than a pinch of salt (unnamed sources, 3rd party comments etc.) but there are suggestions Pelley's position is under a lot more pressure than Monahans.

I have my own personal bugbear with regard to the media's handling / reporting of this, comparative to their handling of Saudi interest's in other sports, but Carters column extolling everything good in the world of golf at the weekend (ie who needs LIV!) clearly shows, and to some extent echoes the commentary on here, you can dress a lot of things up to be more positive or negative than they are. Finau winning - great, affable guy, but beyond the top 3 (and even including the top 3), it was really quite a week field (weaker than a LIV field).

Richie Ramsay winning the Cazoo - again, brilliant, there's a story there on a human level, but it's not highlighting the virtues of DPWT above LIV; if anything, it highlights the main issue of the DPWT as a product (a guy who hasn't won in 7 years now sits 20th in the Race to Dubai (top 10 dominated by players who, essentially, 'are not' DPWT players), and has a chance of picking up a PGA Tour Golden Ticket). It's not my place to tell anyone how to do their job but if you're pursuing an anti-LIV sentiment / model, the story from Cazoo (indeed any future DPWT events) is the inclusion of any LIV alumni and their relative success or lack thereof (Fisher & Bekker, having banked about $1m between them at Centurion) making no impact whatsoever; the case of Fisher, picking up just over £3k, highlights (to me) the inadequacies of trying to pursue a career in DPWT - thankfully he has his LIV earnings this year because I imagine his Cazoo expenditure exceeded his prize money.

Anyway, I watched a lot of the Evian (seemed nobody wanted to win it, then Henderson got her act together) and the Seniors Open (won by the anything but affable Clarke) and enjoyed both for what they were. It was a weekend of golf, not on the level of the previous weekend, and certainly not at the level Carter claims.

That said, excited to see McIlroy at Wentworth, although given he's top of the Race to Dubai I imagine it's the least he can do - he hasn't been seen since the monied Dubai January events.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21445

But I still think the key is going to be the ranking points - many of those players who have left will miss out on majors - WGC’s , Ryder Cups etc - if the players aren’t worried about those then they will go to LIV

But as we have seen they are sticking with that 48 player limit so how many more will they ask ?

I agree on the ranking points 100%.
I dont think the LiV model is set in stone, it can be tweaked if they want to(see previous post)

If enough top players move to Liv they will be forced to do it though as the Majors just want the strongest field they can have for their event.

Going to be a huge golf news month in September me thinks with the excitement of the end of the PGA Fed Ex competition and then the LIV transfer window will open in earnest.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I noticed on socials media this morning they Sergio has not resigned his DPWT card in the hope it gives him eligibility to the Ryder cup.

Is this the start of him wanting to you U-turn or simply that he still has the RC passion?

Regarding this 85%, forget the rage to Dubai it seems it’s going to be more a race to Saudi because as that field fills up with high profile players the signing money will drop.

sunshine

Visit site
As BIM said above there are talks about LIV and womens events.

Here we go again. You’re getting confused between facts and Twitter debates. A random person on the internet suggests Liv could look at womens events and you have made the leap that Liv is in talks regarding womens events. ?‍♂️

I have a Nigerian friend who inherited $10m but can’t access the cash. I think you could really help him out.

D

Deleted member 21445

More on how Steve Elkington sees it playing out.
Only time will tell if he is right.

Actually could be the end of September before the LIV Golf transfer window opens in earnest because as he says a lot of the reported players will want to play in the Presidents Cup.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got to chuckle at this quote,

"The Saudi-backed Aramco Team Series "takes place across three continents." A team series of that kind "aligns with LIV Golf's team concept" that has become the "most popular feature of its men's series."

Not sure that many would agree that the team concept is the most popular feature.
I think it shows how any statemet from LIV is complete fiction.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
More on how Steve Elkington sees it playing out.
Only time will tell if he is right.

Actually could be the end of September before the LIV Golf transfer window opens in earnest because as he says a lot of the reported players will want to play in the Presidents Cup.

Out of sheer curiosity, does anyone have a link to the full interview

The Lion

Visit site

sunshine

Visit site
This must be very worrying for the PGA Tour. This is not hearsay he is an agent for PGA Tour players and obviously talks to other agents as well as having other inside knowledge.

You are truly pathetic. 85% is not a statistic it is a guess. You don’t know the meaning of the word or you are deliberately lying or spreading disinformation. Elkington even says “they are saying 85%” which by definition is hearsay. The man is explicitly saying this is hearsay and here you are stating it is not hearsay but fact.

I don’t mind you having a different view from me, I don’t mind you being a fan of Liv. I do mind your false statements, lies and propaganda.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thank you. In the article Greg Norman says they aren’t in talks with the women’s tours. But it’s something to consider in the future. It’s on the page in black and white ffs

Don’t ffs me Sunshine (see what I did there ?

This thread is turning into Golf Montly Gold. ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Just when I thought I was having the hang of it , Majesticks = English team...
Now it isn't ??
Suppose European then ?‍♂️
Guess it becomes clear in 2023 ... maybe ?