LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 15344

So if the Asian Tour doesn't generate enough ranking points to get into the majors, how come some of the asian tour players get into the majors?

Currently in the top 100 there are 1 player who play regularly on the Asian Tour -JH Kim

There are about 8 players from the Japanese Tour

The Asian players you see playing in the majors come from qualifying comps that are held as opposed to World Ranking points

Hence not many play in The Masters

It’s a shame that potentially that route could be blocked by these LIV golfers now

The R&A said they wouldn’t ban players but could look at how people qualify

If all these LIV players look to take these places from the Asian players then no doubt the R&A will look to do something

There were quite a few LIV players who will have picked up some strong points at the weekend, DJ, BDC, Kaewkanjana, Ancer.... and of course, there are more announcements coming so could be one or two more who finished well at The Open.

Have they all said they want to play less? They probably all can, and still have a crack at major qualification, some will have exemptions as well, and some will probably be happy to play pretty frequently.

Have we seen this weekend, that maybe, the extra time they have to prepare, helps them come into majors in better shape - who knows, but it is something worth considering, 12 LIV players made the cut, and 4 of those made the top (T) 11 places.

Or maybe players like DJ faded away due to lack of playing ?

Players like Mickleson, Kopka etc who haven’t played much also suffered

the likes of DJ did well because they are just high quality players

D

Deleted member 3432

Currently in the top 100 there are 1 player who play regularly on the Asian Tour -JH Kim

The Asian players you see playing in the majors come from qualifying comps that are held as opposed to World Ranking points

It’s a shame that potentially that route could be blocked by these LIV golfers now

If all these LIV players look to take these places from the Asian players then no doubt the R&A will look to do something

Maybe Rory should sign, 54 holes would work for him...

Visit site
Well, well, well. Does Cam Smith now hold all the Aces? if he was considering LIV, hes just probably put 250 million onto his signing fee, he’s exempt for all majors for the next 5 years, and there ain’t nothing the PGA tour, DP tour can do about it. Oh, and he does have to have ‘missing out on the Ryder cup’ threat hanging over him. Presidents cup ain’t worth Jack. If he goes, I believe pga/Dp house of cards could start tumbling. Just a thought, and also now major season is over, will some of the young guns make the jump?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

If the LIV players go and play on the Asian Tour, then the event ranking improves, so it could potentially lead to more Asian tour players qualifying for majors, rather than LIV players blocking them.

I very much doubt that there's a legal position where the R&A can engineer entry requirements to prevent golfers attending The Open, because of which tour or series they play on - and they'll know that.

D

Deleted member 15344

If the LIV players go and play on the Asian Tour, then the event ranking improves, so it could potentially lead to more Asian tour players qualifying for majors, rather than LIV players blocking them.

I very much doubt that there's a legal position where the R&A can engineer entry requirements to prevent golfers attending The Open, because of which tour or series they play on - and they'll know that.

The entry into the majors in regards World Ranking points is at 50 - how many more Asian tour players do you think will break in just because some of the LIV tour players will play in some of their events ?

Looking at the entry criteria for The Open - no spots are open for the Asia Tour OOM winners

There are spots for Australian, Japan ,Sunshine , then winners of various events around the World but none from an Asian Tour event

So they would need to play in the qualifying series to gain entry for the Open and US Open , and there isn’t one for The Masters

So it’s going to be very tough for any LiV player who isn’t exempt to play in the Majors

And I have no doubt that the governing bodies of the majors can have their entry qualification how they want - and if that means adjusting it so Liv Tour players can’t play there isn’t much that can be done

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The entry into the majors in regards World Ranking points is at 50 - how many more Asian tour players do you think will break in just because some of the LIV tour players will play in some of their events ?

Looking at the entry criteria for The Open - no spots are open for the Asia Tour OOM winners

There are spots for Australian, Japan ,Sunshine , then winners of various events around the World but none from an Asian Tour event

So they would need to play in the qualifying series to gain entry for the Open and US Open , and there isn’t one for The Masters

So it’s going to be very tough for any LiV player who isn’t exempt to play in the Majors

And I have no doubt that the governing bodies of the majors can have their entry qualification how they want - and if that means adjusting it so Liv Tour players can’t play there isn’t much that can be done

Fair enough, do you think that The Open would have been diminished without the LIV players this weekend, or perhaps can I expand that as would you prefer to see LIV players unable to qualify for majors?

D

Deleted member 15344

Fair enough, do you think that The Open would have been diminished without the LIV players this weekend, or perhaps can I expand that as would you prefer to see LIV players unable to qualify for majors?

I have no issues with the current qualifying criteria for the Majors and see no reason for it to change and I don’t expect them to change it too much - it will naturally ensure that LIV players will struggle to qualify through time

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would be very disappointed to see Smith defect. Hideous mullet apart, there is a lot to like about him, and unlike almost all of the big name defectors, his game is still on the up. He doesn't want to play in exhibition events where half the field is makeweight players, or in Asian Tour events. He wants to win majors and PGA Tour events.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I for one just think the weekend showed how great golf can be with a collection of the world best players all competing.

Majors need the best players playing, I hope they re-think qualification/ award WGR points so that LIV players continue to be included.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I would be very disappointed to see Smith defect. Hideous mullet apart, there is a lot to like about him, and unlike almost all of the big name defectors, his game is still on the up. He doesn't want to play in exhibition events where half the field is makeweight players, or in Asian Tour events. He wants to win majors and PGA Tour events.

Or does he....... Going to be really interesting if he does move!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
he’s exempt for all majors for the next 5 years, and there ain’t nothing the PGA tour, DP tour can do about it.

I'm not so sure about that. One suggestion I've seen is that a golfer that is banned from one of the main tours will not be eligible for entry into The Open. No idea where they'd stand legally on that if they did it but assume that legal advice would be taken before any changes are made.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Smith said in an interview a while ago that he doesn’t need anymore money as he already has enough.

I’d be disappointed if he does go, as what other reason is there other than a pile of dirty cash?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Pretty certain in commentary they said DJ has played the same amount as Rory this year.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Shame to see the ‘headlines’ that Cam Smith ‘failed to deny rumours’ about going to LIV, when all he really did was not answer an ill-timed/inappropriate question

The journalist should've been called out by their peers & told to belt up

Or he could have just done what many would have and said no?

Does strike me as another Morikawa type scenario though!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As thread has morphed into general professional golf admin etc., had a look for 2022 ogwr, strength of field calcs

The Open 871
US Open 830
US PGA 876
Masters 785

Players 806

The OGWR have a rule in place that the winner receives 100 points for the 'majors', irrespective of field.
Also the Players receives 80 points.

Apparently these caveats remain when the system changes next month.

The PGAT have been banging the "5th major" for some time now, and can see based on the field that they may be privately irked by the Masters love in.

However, as mentioned previously, the current ban position may hurt the Players field next year.

Last edited: