LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Hovland I’ll happy putting my hat on won’t leave , same with Cam Smith . All those in the Top 15 are hungry to win majors

Matsyuma is one that may go but the rumoured amount for him is staggering £500mil
I expect you are correct but confused by the part highlighted. How are you linking 'hungry to win majors' with where players play outside of majors?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Stenson going full Saudi would be good news for the PGAT and the World Tour. The more it looks like a champions tour the better from their point of view, and if that is the cohort they keep signing, it does look like the top players have said no.

D

Deleted member 15344

There is no doubt that now the majors are finished ( still think moving the PGA was wrong ) the season for many is finished

There is the Fed Ex etc but you can now see some players moving across

Stenson going isn’t a big issue for the tours - he is in the bracket of players whose best days are behind them - it is very poor on his behalf when it comes to the Ryder Cup , but we have seen in the past with Stenson his choices with money aren’t the best

Cam Smith - I would be amazed if he left ,he has the golf world at his feet right now

Cantlay- not sure about him , bit of a grey man on tour but currently one of the big players in the rankings - would be a miss

Matsyuma - heard some very big figures have been mentioned with him / £500mil , he is the figure head of Japanese golf right now , would he really pick the money

In other news I see there is talk they will go and play events on the Asia Tour to gain ranking points

Not sure where that fits with the idea of less events they play etc and also the ranking points won’t be huge for those events ( as the players hold the points )

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
In other news I see there is talk they will go and play events on the Asia Tour to gain ranking points

Not sure where that fits with the idea of less events they play etc and also the ranking points won’t be huge for those events ( as the players hold the points )

The more you look at some of the logic the players cite, the less sense it makes.

RRidges

Visit site

Minimum points of Asian Tour events is about half that of PGA Tour or DP World Tour.
They'd be better going to the Australasian Tour - or both.
I doubt whether either tour would actually accept them though, as PGA Tour would use it's influence and resources to prevent it.

D

Deleted member 15344

It is funny that the headlines are just a touch different to what was actually said

“Smith had been asked in his formal 150th Open victory conference regarding rumours he was joining LIV Golf but fended-off the question from the Press Association saying: “I just won the British Open, and you’re asking about that. I think that’s pretty not good”.”

So from that they have decided he is joining

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is funny that the headlines are just a touch different to what was actually said

“Smith had been asked in his formal 150th Open victory conference regarding rumours he was joining LIV Golf but fended-off the question from the Press Association saying: “I just won the British Open, and you’re asking about that. I think that’s pretty not good”.”

So from that they have decided he is joining

He doesn’t exactly categorically deny it either what would have been easier to do.

I didn’t write the article marra just posting what has been reported. It’s pretty widely reported on Twitter as well. I guess it’s a case of watch this space.

sunshine

Visit site
He doesn’t exactly categorically deny it either what would have been easier to do.

I didn’t write the article marra just posting what has been reported. It’s pretty widely reported on Twitter as well. I guess it’s a case of watch this space.

“Widely reported on Twitter” is not exactly gospel is it? Among the attention seekers, fantasists, Liv fake news accounts, accounts sponsored by Liv, trolls and time wasters, there may be some accounts posting genuine stories ?‍♂️

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Minimum points of Asian Tour events is about half that of PGA Tour or DP World Tour.
I doubt whether either tour would actually accept them though, as PGA Tour would use it's influence and resources to prevent it.
The calc rules change next month ....
https://www.skysports.com/golf/news...s-big-changes-to-its-ranking-system-from-2022

Asian tour is already 'influenced' but not by PGAT
https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/saudi-backed-asian-tour-confirms-first-ever-england-tournament

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

The Saudis have put $400 million into The Asian tour already, all the LIV players need to do, assuming the bid for OWGR points is rejected, is co-ordinate enough Asian Tour events, when they can all play together in order to gain some OWGR points - The Open and The US Open, are already part of that tour.
Phil made a comment in an interview of the weekend when he was being questioned about LIV - parapharasing but it was something along the lines of "It will all become clear in a couple of years"

Maybe the plan is to grow The Asian Tour into something that rivals the PGA Tour, but that spreads itself across the globe - The Slaley Hall event this year was pretty much a low key event, but I'd imagine if it takes place next year, then could be much more relevant to world golf?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The Saudis have put $400 million into The Asian tour already, all the LIV players need to do, assuming the bid for OWGR points is rejected, is co-ordinate enough Asian Tour events, when they can all play together in order to gain some OWGR points - The Open and The US Open, are already part of that tour.
Phil made a comment in an interview of the weekend when he was being questioned about LIV - parapharasing but it was something along the lines of "It will all become clear in a couple of years"

Maybe the plan is to grow The Asian Tour into something that rivals the PGA Tour, but that spreads itself across the globe - The Slaley Hall event this year was pretty much a low key event, but I'd imagine if it takes place next year, then could be much more relevant to world golf?

The LiV players can coordinate all they like. There aren’t enough of them (currently) that are good enough to increase the WR points the Asian tour events are worth.

What happened to less travelling and playing fewer events?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The LiV players can coordinate all they like. There aren’t enough of them (currently) that are good enough to increase the WR points the Asian tour events are worth.

What happened to less travelling and playing fewer events?

So if the Asian Tour doesn't generate enough ranking points to get into the majors, how come some of the asian tour players get into the majors?

There were quite a few LIV players who will have picked up some strong points at the weekend, DJ, BDC, Kaewkanjana, Ancer.... and of course, there are more announcements coming so could be one or two more who finished well at The Open.

Have they all said they want to play less? They probably all can, and still have a crack at major qualification, some will have exemptions as well, and some will probably be happy to play pretty frequently.

Have we seen this weekend, that maybe, the extra time they have to prepare, helps them come into majors in better shape - who knows, but it is something worth considering, 12 LIV players made the cut, and 4 of those made the top (T) 11 places.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Its a fair assumption that Smith is seriously considering it thought. If he had no thought of it, he wouldnt have responded tetchily, but would have killed the topic there and then by saying he is committed to tye PGAT, back to talking about my Open win.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Its a fair assumption that Smith is seriously considering it thought. If he had no thought of it, he wouldnt have responded tetchily, but would have killed the topic there and then by saying he is committed to tye PGAT, back to talking about my Open win.

LIV need a big name to represent Australasia, it's a continent that produces some excellent golfers, both male and female, and with the LIV series looking to go to Australia early next year, you can be pretty confident there have been some tempting offers or enquiries put out to the likes of Smith, Scott etc