LIV Golf

RRidges

Visit site
Some people get fact and opinion mixed up.

Example: DJ has fallen down the OWGR pretty badly this year. Fact.

Rory won his majors against weak opposition. Opinion.
I would even challenge your supposed fact call!
DJ has fallen from 2nd to 18th this year. Fact
DJ has fallen down the OWGR pretty badly this year. Opinion.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s now pretty clear that McIlroy won his majors at a historically pretty low point in the game

There is some way out stuff written here at times. I may even push that envelope sometimes myself. But the above must be THE most erroneous post on the whole forum. No big Rory fan here. He is an underachiever for his golf talent. But winning 4 as he did at an early age is very impressive and I would say he beat a stronger field in all of them than any of Jack's 18 majors for example.

evemccc

Visit site
There is some way out stuff written here at times. I may even push that envelope sometimes myself. But the above must be THE most erroneous post on the whole forum. No big Rory fan here. He is an underachiever for his golf talent. But winning 4 as he did at an early age is very impressive and I would say he beat a stronger field in all of them than any of Jack's 18 majors for example.

Disagree —
I do not think that Luke Donald and Westwood as your two biggest rivals at the peak of the world game, is a historical high point of golf’s history — fine if you think that

D

Deleted member 15344

Disagree —
I do not think that Luke Donald and Westwood as your two biggest rivals at the peak of the world game, is a historical high point of golf’s history — fine if you think that

Luke Donald and Lee Westwood weren’t his two biggest rivals during the period when he won his four majors

Woods , Mickleson , Day , Garcia , Scott , DJ , Louis O , Stenson , Rose.

evemccc

Visit site
Luke Donald and Lee Westwood weren’t his two biggest rivals during the period when he won his four majors

Woods , Mickleson , Day , Garcia , Scott , DJ , Louis O , Stenson , Rose.

Were they not vying for World No. 1 at the same time?

The world No 1 golfer from 2011 to 2013 was: Kaymer, Westwood, Donald and Rory.
Then in 2013-2014 Tiger, Scott and Rory were challenging for No. 1 status
Tiger won none of his majors in the years right before or right after that as he was plagued by injuries…

So no, I don’t think that was a historically high point of golf’s greats at their peak—- which is the only point being discussed

Everyone knows Rory has been at the top or near the top of the game for 11+ years….but that isn’t the point being discussed ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Were they not vying for World No. 1 at the same time?

The world No 1 golfer from 2011 to 2013 was: Kaymer, Westwood, Donald and Rory.
Then in 2013-2014 Tiger, Scott and Rory were challenging for No. 1 status
Tiger won none of his majors in the years right before or right after that as he was plagued by injuries…

So no, I don’t think that was a historically high point of golf’s greats at their peak—- which is the only point being discussed

Everyone knows Rory has been at the top or near the top of the game for 11+ years….but that isn’t the point being discussed ?

You are trying to suggest that Rory won his majors when there wasn’t much opposition around and basing this on who was challenging for the World Number 1 spot

How about when Woods was winning his majors there was no one really challenging him , who were the big players around then ? Rocco Mediate ?

Rory won 4 majors over 4 years and at a young age - he destroyed records when winning a US Open and also put in some great performances when battling with the likes of Garcia and Fowler when winning US PGA’s and The Open

This all started when it was mentioned that DJ winning two is him under achieving during his career - the same period Rory has won four -DJ was playing in that same period or as you call it “pretty historically low point” and your just basing that on a couple of players that were going for World Number 1 at the time -and two players with more ability than some that have won majors

Rory has under achieved since 2014 - his ability means he should have won more

It’s a fair statement to say that both have under achieved but don’t discredit the majors that Rory has won

Swango1980

Visit site
Disagree —
Luke Donald was class when he was World Number 1. His bunker play, short game and putting were out of this world. Did he not get some records around not having a 3 putt in so many holes? Sure, he never won a Major, but I bet going into Majors when he was at that level, he was one of the favourites.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would even challenge your supposed fact call!
DJ has fallen from 2nd to 18th this year. Fact
DJ has fallen down the OWGR pretty badly this year. Opinion.

You just can’t get some people to accept reality.

Fallen 16 places in the OWGR = not fallen pretty badly. OK. Got it. Your planet must be a weird place.

Swango1980

Visit site
You just can’t get some people to accept reality.

Fallen 16 places in the OWGR = not fallen pretty badly. OK. Got it. Your planet must be a weird place.
I don't think it has fallen pretty badly, so I guess your fact is actually an opinion.

I'd say the likes of Hunter Mahan OWGR had fallen pretty badly, in my opinion.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To put into a bit of perspective DJ has fallen quite considerably.
To be #3 in the world you need a points average of about 7.5...DJ currently has 4.0 so he's dropped 3.5 points.
If he'd started where he is now and lost those 3.5 points he would be down between 300 and 400.
So, although 3 to 18 doesn't seem massive, in real terms it's an alarming drop.
He only has a total of 164 WR points...the only player with fewer in the top 20 is Brooks. DJ has lost 181 points this year..only Rahm and Morikawa have lost more but they had more to start with
Assuming DJ finishes well tomorrow he'll pick up points and probably move up..but with no more points on the horizon that drop is going to continue.
In OWGR terms of class DJ's drop as pretty bad..

D

Deleted member 15344

Hearing worrying talk of Hovland having agreed to join LIV after The Open...

I have to say I think there is zero chance he would go - and that’s the same for any of the current top 10 players

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Hearing worrying talk of Hovland having agreed to join LIV after The Open...
Think it is a bit like footy transfer gossip, stick a story out looking for some clicks. I'm disregarding until a player confirms.
Personally I think September may be when we learn who has & hasn't been tempted.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Where are you hearing this?

Hovland has been rumoured before. There are new player announcements coming and the 48 man draft is now set for 2023, so I’d guess LIV have got a group of players they’re content with going forwards - be interesting to see who they’ve added.

D

Deleted member 15344

Think it was McDowell who was talking about being abused on social media because of the LIV Tour

And then he posts silly things like this

There was a lot of back tracking later but posting nonsense like that won’t help , it’s the same with Poulter’s reaction to being asked about being booed

Did they think that people wouldn’t react

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hovland has been rumoured before. There are new player announcements coming and the 48 man draft is now set for 2023, so I’d guess LIV have got a group of players they’re content with going forwards - be interesting to see who they’ve added.

I agree it will be interesting to see who they add. I think they will add a few of the top 15 youngish players but may have to wait until the FedEx cup is done. Exciting times.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree it will be interesting to see who they add. I think they will add a few of the top 15 youngish players but may have to wait until the FedEx cup is done. Exciting times.

Which of the top 15 do you think they will add ?

Especially those just starting their elite career

Harry Putter

Visit site

I feel sorry for those outside the top 48 who haven't got a job anymore.