LIV Golf

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
So winning 2 Majors is underachieving now, WOW ??
I bet 99% of players would take just one ??

It’s all relative. So I’d agree that Norman has with only 2 majors.

I would consider Tiger to have underachieved despite all he has won.

D

Deleted member 15344

For his level of ability and the amount of times he has been in position to win majors then 2 would be the lowest number you would expected him to win - his game is perfect for major wins , he seemed to find a way to play his way out of them

There are prob others that you would say could be in rbe same position where their ability never matched the amount of majors they won

Just glad that it’s now acknowledged that Rory has clearly underachieved in the past 8 years….with zero majors

That’s been discussed many times - yes he has under achieved in regards majors over the last 8 years

Swango1980

Visit site
If Rory McIlroy had ended his career with just 2 Majors then it is safe to say he underachieved. If he finishes with 4, I think most would say he underachieved. If Tiger Woods had only ever won 2 Majors, or Jack Nicklaus, they'd have underachieved by monumental proportions. Conversely, I've won 2 club championships, but no Majors, and I have still over-achieved.

So, it is all relative to the golfer. And subjective. If someone thinks a golfer has underachieved by winning 2 Majors, it is clearly because they recognise that golfer has / had the ability to win more. I agree though, I am sure 99% or more of pro golfers would dream of having just one Major. Not many, I'd imagine, will say Danny Willet or Todd Hamilton have under-achieved. Or that Tommy "2 gloves" Gainey have underachieved for not winning any.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just glad that it’s now acknowledged that Rory has clearly underachieved in the past 8 years….with zero majors

Still has twice as many as Norman, and more PGA Tour wins in a lot less time. We'll see if he is done winning majors. And choosing the interval specifically to support your spurious argument shows the weakness of it.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
You can see the difference between world politics and individual decisions made by already very wealthy golfers? Right?
I can honestly say no, I can't. You either ostracise the Saudis or you don't, but you don't pick and choose.

Besides, this has nothing to do with a bloody regime and everything to do with the LIV doing to the PGA Tour what the PGA Tour has done to the ET for years, threaten their very foundations. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

RRidges

Visit site
What’s your point, that’s like me saying everyone ahead of tiger right now is better than him, start thinking about what your saying before giving a 20 second answer that means nothing, I gave you a factual statistic on Brooks, nothing else.
My opinion won’t change that the Majors will be devalued if all the best players aren’t playing.
Check his recent history then.
US Open 55th; PGA Champs T55th; Masters MC; The Players MC. Something has definitely gone wrong with his golf, compared to others, since 2018 and 2019 when he was ranked #1. Basically, he's no longer one of the best players!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Check his recent history then.
US Open 55th; PGA Champs T55th; Masters MC; The Players MC. Something has definitely gone wrong with his golf, compared to others, since 2018 and 2019 when he was ranked #1. Basically, he's no longer one of the best players!

He’s had injury problems but he’s still one of the best.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

You are mixing the absolute and the relative.

Of course 2 majors is fantastic and in the elite of golf. Absolute.
For a world number one, multi major regular tour event winner, contender at a good number of majors, and with the quality of his length and overall game, it seems low. Underachieving compared to expected return on potential. Relative.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
You are mixing the absolute and the relative.

Of course 2 majors is fantastic and in the elite of golf. Absolute.
For a world number one, multi major regular tour event winner, contender at a good number of majors, and with the quality of his length and overall game, it seems low. Underachieving compared to expected return on potential. Relative.

That seems to be this thread all over, it’s all or nothing with some people, surely we can just have a middle ground where there is good, bad and indifferent from all the tours.

On a slightly separate note I was offered a job a few years ago for Saudi Aramaco, I’d like to think if I took it, people wouldn’t think any less of me as a person.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I can honestly say no, I can't. You either ostracise the Saudis or you don't, but you don't pick and choose.

World leaders make decisions largely due to geopolitical considerations. If a nation needs some Saudi oil, tough decisions have to be made otherwise you might end up with national energy crisis.

That's categorically not the same as a multi millionaire golfer taking Saudi money because he wants even more money and to spend more time at home.

Besides, this has nothing to do with a bloody regime

For some people it is. But to be fair, the PGA Tour hasn't made much of a deal re: it being Saudi. They've overwhelmingly concentrated on it being about golf.

and everything to do with the LIV doing to the PGA Tour what the PGA Tour has done to the ET for years, threaten their very foundations. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

Well you'd have to be very naive to assume the PGA/European Tour would downtools to allow LIV to threaten the status quo.

It's not as if the Saudis have any historical interest in the game, so I'm bemused as to why people seem so keen to entrust the professional game to them.

It seems it's just about different enough and stuffed with so much money to turn gullible heads.

I'm not a massive fan of professional golf and most professional golfers, but better the PGA than the Saudis.

evemccc

Visit site
Still has twice as many as Norman, and more PGA Tour wins in a lot less time. We'll see if he is done winning majors. And choosing the interval specifically to support your spurious argument shows the weakness of it.

YOU literally called Dustin Johnson an underachiever — you started this talk of people ‘underachieving’ — touché, we’ll also see if DJ is also done with winning majors

It’s now pretty clear that McIlroy won his majors at a historically pretty low point in the game — those challenging him for No. 1 in the world at that time was Luke Donald and Westwood…both with zero wins

And that’s a fact, and clear to anyone who’s not one-eyed about their hero

D

Deleted member 15344

YOU literally called Dustin Johnson an underachiever — you started this talk of people ‘underachieving’ — touché, we’ll also see if DJ is also done with winning majors

It’s now pretty clear that McIlroy won his majors at a historically pretty low point in the game — those challenging him for No. 1 in the world at that time was Luke Donald and Westwood…both with zero wins

Let’s not get a little bit silly now

He won 4 majors - and smashed records along the way. At one stage he was fighting for number 1 with Woods - players like DJ were challenging for Majors , Day , Scott , Fowler .

It’s not a “fact” it’s an opinion

right now DJ has half the majors Rory has

Do you dismiss Woods majors in the same way

RRidges

Visit site
Besides, this has nothing to do with a bloody regime and everything to do with the LIV doing to the PGA Tour what the PGA Tour has done to the ET for years, threaten their very foundations. Hypocrisy at it's finest.
PGA Tour has never actively threatened ET's existence! Which is what PGA Tour believe LIV is doing.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

“That’s a fact”. A statement which is always false and usually made by someone who doesn’t know what a fact is.

DJ has been falling down the rankings lately. McIlroy has been climbing. He has been ahead of DJ in all 3 majors so far in 2022.

£20 for charity says he continues that run this weekend. OK?