LIV Golf

AussieKB

Visit site
If he wants to show himself to be a classless churl, I am sure he will.

On the other hand, he could issue a statement saying that he recognises that the R&A does not want distractions from the celebration of the 150th Open, and although he is sorry to miss it, he understands and wishes them well for the event.

The R&A is a player in OWGR and has yet to determine its long term plan for LIV player eligibility. Norman might be wise to play the long game.
And I am sure you would come out and say what a great person he is....ha ha

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
So let him come and every other word is about LIV and not The Open...the 150th Open
It's the same principle the R&A took with Turnberry and Trump.
They won't get The Open while Trump owns it because they know damn well he'll turn up and take over, making the event more about him than anything else.
Same goes for Norman.
The R&A want this to be all about The Open and nothing else.
Better to have a few complaints than turn the 150th Open into an advertisement for Greg Norman and his band...
At least Mickelson had the guts to ask not to be invited..he may be an arse but at least he gets it....

This is spot on, I don’t think it’s right but the R and A have to do what’s right for themselves.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm just thinking would I (ME) go and disrespect a Tournament that I had won.....
I find it very hard to believe that he would.....you may disagree but no.

This is Greg Norman we are talking about here - prob has one of the biggest chips on his shoulder

There is a reason why he is perfect for the face of LIV Golf

It wasn’t long ago that he was asking for special treatment from the R&A and he has always felt that the he didn’t get the plaudits he believe he deserved

Norman can still do whatever he wants this week, if he wants to overshadow The Open, he can - and perhaps he's even more likely to do that in light of the decision from the R&A yesterday?

It’s a bit of a lose lose situation for him - if he keeps quiet through the whole week then the limelight is taken away from LIV but if he does try and make it about LIV then people will react negatively to that

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Norman can still do whatever he wants this week, if he wants to overshadow The Open, he can - and perhaps he's even more likely to do that in light of the decision from the R&A yesterday?
He would be wise to stay low key for the week and not actually upset the R&A who could still stymie some of his goals if they chose to. Simply saying nothing, or that 'it's their show' would be his best tactic imo.

AussieKB

Visit site
I read all this anti LIV sentiment and I wonder if it was Bill Gates or Elon Musk backing it would we still have all this animosity going on, my belief is yes, the same anti LIV crowd would find a reason to be negative.

As for Greg not being invited, think R & A have made a mistake but they are entitled to invite whom they like, but go the whole hog and ban LIV players as well, I see a double standard here, but have been reading plenty of that lately.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I read all this anti LIV sentiment and I wonder if it was Bill Gates or Elon Musk backing it would we still have all this animosity going on, my belief is yes, the same anti LIV crowd would find a reason to be negative.

They wouldnt have to find a reason. The reasons are there, therefore they are negative, not the other way around.
Regardless of the source of the money backing the venture, it fails in its various sporting 'innovations', and by potentially cleaving the worlds best golfers into two groups. So nobody will be the best. That LIV is bad for elite professional golf as entertainment, is indisputable.

AussieKB

Visit site
They wouldnt have to find a reason. The reasons are there, therefore they are negative, not the other way around.
Regardless of the source of the money backing the venture, it fails in its various sporting 'innovations', and by potentially cleaving the worlds best golfers into two groups. So nobody will be the best. That LIV is bad for elite professional golf as entertainment, is indisputable.
By that reasoning all the elite golfers should play where and when the PGA tells them to, how can that promote World golf if they only play where the PGA say?
May as well get rid of the R & A as they only have one tournament and we may as well move the Open to the USA.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

So you'd argue that it is in the best interests of the game to give the LIV players owgr points then? (There's a meeting this week I beleive).
At least that way, while they may be shut out of PGA Tour events, they could still be ranked and play in majors - this week for example we determie who is The Champion Golfer.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

As for Greg not being invited, think R & A have made a mistake but they are entitled to invite whom they like, but go the whole hog and ban LIV players as well, I see a double standard here, but have been reading plenty of that lately.

Musk might do it, but Bill Gates would not sponsor such a crass and vulgar display of gratuitous greed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
By that reasoning all the elite golfers should play where and when the PGA tells them to, how can that promote World golf if they only play where the PGA say?
The above statement is illogical!
As independent contractors, elite golfers have the choice to play whichever tour - or tours - they want, provided the follow the rules of whichever tour(s) they join. That will include, for TPGAT and DPWT, minimum numbers of events and performance levels in order to 'keep their card'. There is no particular onus to play specific events (except, maybe, Tour Finals should they qualify).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Musk might do it, but Bill Gates would not sponsor such a crass and vulgar display of gratuitous greed.
Both Musk and Gates have (or, at least 'had'), as Gate's motivation has changed) the same fundamental goal - acquisition of wealth. Norman's is different - hatred of TPGAT. And he's found a sponsor with their own goals and funding that can support both.

D

Deleted member 15344

Any ideas why for a while Greg Norman didn’t bother with the champions dinner and also didn’t bother playing in The Open even when he had the exemption ?

Yet this year it’s all change ? Anything changed with him by any chance ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both Musk and Gates have (or, at least 'had'), as Gate's motivation has changed) the same fundamental goal - acquisition of wealth. Norman's is different - hatred of TPGAT. And he's found a sponsor with their own goals and funding that can support both.

I don't think Gates was motivated by acquisition of wealth. He was motivated by trying to make Microsoft a dominant technology, so perhaps wealth acquisition is implied. He has, however, used his fortune for a lot of impressive and often under the radar philanthropy since.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jesus, this is getting way off piste. Now the ethics of LIV Golf are somehow related to relative comparIsons with Bill Gates and Elon Musk.

Who next, Kim Jong Un, Stalin, Vlad the Impaler, Gru?

Last edited: