LIV Golf

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So let him come and every other word is about LIV and not The Open...the 150th Open
It's the same principle the R&A took with Turnberry and Trump.
They won't get The Open while Trump owns it because they know damn well he'll turn up and take over, making the event more about him than anything else.
Same goes for Norman.
The R&A want this to be all about The Open and nothing else.
Better to have a few complaints than turn the 150th Open into an advertisement for Greg Norman and his band...
At least Mickelson had the guts to ask not to be invited..he may be an arse but at least he gets it....

D

Deleted member 15344

So the relevant story yesterday was Norman not getting invited to the Champions dinner, can see why the R&A have done it, but sadly, it's just going to create more hyperbole around The Open.

Another bad decision that just splits golf further.

Greg Norman is being paid a fortune to promote LIV golf - there is no doubt that he would have used the greatest golf comp as a vehicle to promote LiV golf so the R&A have done what they need to do to protect The Open by removing him from The Open - he already asked for an exemption to be able to play

Greg Norman is all about Greg Norman - this week should only be about The Open

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
So let him come and every other word is about LIV and not The Open...the 150th Open
It's the same principle the R&A took with Turnberry and Trump.
They won't get The Open while Trump owns it because they know damn well he'll turn up and take over, making the event more about him than anything else.
Same goes for Norman.
The R&A want this to be all about The Open and nothing else.
Better to have a few complaints than turn the 150th Open into an advertisement for Greg Norman and his band...
At least Mickelson had the guts to ask not to be invited..he may be an arse but at least he gets it....

As I say, I understand why they've done it, but they've created a contentious talking point which will now be carried forward by the media and be discussed all week.
He's won it twice, he's a past champion, and should be invited. Would he have made it all about himself and LIV? That's down to the media, the R&A could have requested that he wasn't given the air time, instead, they've made it quite clear he's not welcome - and created headlines.

Other than a few cheeky tweets and comments on social media, Norman hasn't been saying an awful lot or been interviewed by any of the major media providers for quite a while has he?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Open entry terms & conditions , section A. Paragraph 6.

The R&A expects players and their team to conduct themselves in a manner that is respectful of The Open and the sport of golf. Players and their team shall at all times act in the best interests of the sport and The Open, and shall not conduct themselves in an unlawful or improper manner or so as to bring The Open, The R&A, the sport of golf or its governing bodies into disrepute ...

If Norman is considered to be part of any player's team he doesn't have a leg to stand on. They are entitled to protect their brand however they see fit.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All the creating has been done by Norman and LIV..without them there would be no contentious talking points..don't try and drop this on the R&A..
The week should be, and will be, all about celebrating 150 Opens...and nothing else.

D

Deleted member 15344

As I say, I understand why they've done it, but they've created a contentious talking point which will now be carried forward by the media and be discussed all week.
He's won it twice, he's a past champion, and should be invited. Would he have made it all about himself and LIV? That's down to the media, the R&A could have requested that he wasn't given the air time, instead, they've made it quite clear he's not welcome - and created headlines.

Other than a few cheeky tweets and comments on social media, Norman hasn't been saying an awful lot or been interviewed by any of the major media providers for quite a while has he?

The R&A haven’t created anything - Greg Norman has created it all

The only people that will want to discuss it will be the LIV’ers who will want to ensure that they are the main talking point.

You really do need to have a look at the other side at some stage

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All the creating has been done by Norman and LIV..without them there would be no contentious talking points..don't try and drop this on the R&A..
The week should be, and will be, all about celebrating 150 Opens...and nothing else.

150 years since it was first played at St Andrews.
I think this is the 163rd Open.;)
I was a spectator at the 100th Open [played at St Andrews}

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The R&A haven’t created anything - Greg Norman has created it all

The only people that will want to discuss it will be the LIV’ers who will want to ensure that they are the main talking point.

You really do need to have a look at the other side at some stage

That is why I said, I understand why they have done it.

Let's see how much LIV gets talked about this week in the MSM, I agree, it should all be about The Open, and part of that is having past champions at the champions dinner. By the time a few top players miss the cut on Friday, the press will be speculating about who is going to LIV. I might even dare to suggest that the winning golfer will be overshadowed on Monday in the press by further LIV "defectees".

Of course, it will all be Greg Normans fault.....

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is why I said, I understand why they have done it.

Let's see how much LIV gets talked about this week in the MSM, I agree, it should all be about The Open, and part of that is having past champions at the champions dinner. By the time a few top players miss the cut on Friday, the press will be speculating about who is going to LIV. I might even dare to suggest that the winning golfer will be overshadowed on Monday in the press by further LIV "defectees".

Of course, it will all be Greg Normans fault.....

Not all Greg Norman's fault. Greedy multimillionaire golfers who want more millions and don't care where that money comes from will also be to blame.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greg Norman is a massive egotist with a huge chip on his shoulder because he thinks he did not get enough respect from the PGA Tour. Most people would say that he got the resect he earned. He would inevitably and unavoidably showboat at St Andrews and distract from the 150th Open. The R&A is quite right to ban him from the event.

If there is an announcement of further defectees of any note on Monday, it will just confirm that Norman has little respect for The Open.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Greg Norman is a massive egotist with a huge chip on his shoulder because he thinks he did not get enough respect from the PGA Tour. Most people would say that he got the resect he earned. He would inevitably and unavoidably showboat at St Andrews and distract from the 150th Open. The R&A is quite right to ban him from the event.

If there is an announcement of further defectees of any note on Monday, it will just confirm that Norman has little respect for The Open.

On the Monday after The Open?

I'd be fully epecting a few announcements tbh, not sure LIV or Norman have any obligation to hold back once the last major of the year has finished.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'd be fully epecting a few announcements tbh, not sure LIV or Norman have any obligation to hold back once the last major of the year has finished.

Whatever announcements that are made about players going to LIV will be done for when it’s maximum exposure and for the benefit of LIV - the rumours are already rumbling so I suspect an announcement at around Tuesday during the practice rounds

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes, indeed. You said it yourself, such announcements (depending how it was, another Pat Perez, not so much) could overshadow the winner of The Open. If you realise that, Greg Norman certainly does, and therefore if such announcements are made, it is entirely intended to have precisely that effect.

Of course, I would expect little else from a graceless jerk like Norman.

AussieKB

Visit site
So the R & A could not have talked to Greg and said we do not want any controversy, are you OK with that ?
Now a knee jerk reaction which just highlights LIV golf.

I honestly think that Greg would not have caused a fuss, but now when you disrespect him as a former two time champion (my view)
then if he comes out and criticizes them then what do you expect.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
So the R & A could not have talked to Greg and said we do not want any controversy, are you OK with that ?
Now a knee jerk reaction which just highlights LIV golf.

I honestly think that Greg would not have caused a fuss, but now when you disrespect him as a former two time champion (my view)

So you reckon the media would not have asked questions, or Norman would have responded "We'll talk about that another time, fellas, this week is about The Open"? Dream on.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That would not have prevented a controversy though - even if not originated by GN.
I'm sure that they explained it was not out of disrespect to him and I'm sure he understood and accepted that it's because it's about celebrating 150 years of The Open Championship, not what might be happening in Golf generally and currently. If not - and he criticizes them (expressing disappointment is ok), then not inviting him was absolutely the right thing to do!

AussieKB

Visit site
I'm just thinking would I (ME) go and disrespect a Tournament that I had won.....
I find it very hard to believe that he would.....you may disagree but no.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Norman can still do whatever he wants this week, if he wants to overshadow The Open, he can - and perhaps he's even more likely to do that in light of the decision from the R&A yesterday?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Norman can still do whatever he wants this week, if he wants to overshadow The Open, he can - and perhaps he's even more likely to do that in light of the decision from the R&A yesterday?

If he wants to show himself to be a classless churl, I am sure he will.

On the other hand, he could issue a statement saying that he recognises that the R&A does not want distractions from the celebration of the 150th Open, and although he is sorry to miss it, he understands and wishes them well for the event.

The R&A is a player in OWGR and has yet to determine its long term plan for LIV player eligibility. Norman might be wise to play the long game.