LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
In what way is LIV more 'relaxed' about golf ?

You really do come across as a spin doctor trying to create a marketing department designed perception of LIV.
So, what I ACTUALLY said was recreational golf in the US, was more relaxed than in the UK, and LIV was more representative of that - music, more fun, beers flowing (not the players before any zealots jump on me) - all pretty obvious to most people reading the comment…..
So why are you trying to spin what I’ve said, to prove a point?

Swango1980

Visit site
So, what I ACTUALLY said was recreational golf in the US, was more relaxed than in the UK, and LIV was more representative of that - music, more fun, beers flowing (not the players before any zealots jump on me) - all pretty obvious to most people reading the comment…..
Is that because they don't worry about playing to the rules so much?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think anyone here is saying that the PGA is beyond repproach and the natural order of things, or are against a new tour or a change in the world order.

They are simply stating the LIV is not the way to do it.

I am sure if the DP Tour managed to secure similar tournament funds that the PGA and got huge names to play week in week out over in Europe people on here would be supportive.

In fact I think a lot of people on this thread would really like to see a genuine world tour, but they are also aware that there is a massive difference in the economic markets across the globe. Golf is just much bigger in the USA than anywhere else, so they will obvious have more players, more money, and their collegiate system is built to produce world class players, and will recruit players from all over the world, so they will naturally graduate onto the PGA Tour.

The problem with golf is that there is no world governing body, like in football, rugby, cricket etc the organisations have their flaws but they have a general remit of trying to grow the game globally. In golf we have individual tours that are looking out for their own interest only.

If there was a breakaway tour that ran on the principle of having a world governing body and to play across the world then I would support that. But LIV is a closed shop tour with dodgy money, where already very rich players are after more and more money. The players and the tour don't care about the fans, or growing the game.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

The Phoenix Open is such a straightlaced event alright. And we never see a beer in the hands of PGAT fans do we ?

Beers on the course are a big problem on the PGAT in the views of many.

Attachments

• Carlos-Ortiz-hole-in-one-beer.jpg
    Carlos-Ortiz-hole-in-one-beer.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 2

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not something to be done openly in Saudi Arabia!

D

Deleted member 15344

Beers flowing on a tour financed by Saudi Arabia ?‍♂️

Prob more like fruit juice when they play in Saudi

AussieKB

Visit site
Think Rory is trying to be diplomatic now that he can see that the PGA and golf in general will not be the big winner.

But cannot see the PGA backing down and coming to the table to discuss a truce, but if more and more players move over then it will come to a tipping point when sponsors will start to complain, then they will have to come to the table.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Think Rory is trying to be diplomatic now that he can see that the PGA and golf in general will not be the big winner.

But cannot see the PGA backing down and coming to the table to discuss a truce, but if more and more players move over then it will come to a tipping point when sponsors will start to complain, then they will have to come to the table.

seems a bit more like he's given up on the player. Fine, if you wanna go, go, But don't come crying back to us when it all goes to the dogs

D

Deleted member 1418

seems a bit more like he's given up on the player. Fine, if you wanna go, go, But don't come crying back to us when it all goes to the dogs

Yep, pretty much what Billy Horschel was saying as well yesterday, albeit a bit more damning!!!

AussieKB

Visit site
So what I gather from this thread is that the anti LIV is for the war to continue, come what may and who cares what damage is done to World golf, and the LIV supporters are all for change and who cares what damage is done to World golf.

If the powers that be can not at least come to the table, then I can see real damage being done to World golf.

Myself, I would love to see the players being able to play where ever they choose, obviously they would need to qualify for certain events, but if they do, so be it, am sure the sponsors would prefer the strongest possible field available.

D

Deleted member 15344

Right now the PGA and ET have 99% of the big players and also have the pathway for new players - why won’t they be the big winner ? They hold most of the trump cards including help for entry into the majors and Ryder Cup

All LIV have is money

The PGA don’t need to back down and call a truce.

As for sponsors - most of the players going to LIV have lost their sponsors

Swango1980

Visit site
Is there any possibility that the PGA Tour and DP World Tour will decide to completely join forces at some point? Develop some sort of global tour. Many tournaments still within USA overall, but in comparison to the PGA Tour alone, many more tournaments each year outside the US. So, maybe with 50 tournaments per year, 25 could be in US, 15 in Europe, 5 in Asia, 3 in Africa and 2 in Oceania (or something like that). These numbers could change if the game looks to grow in other parts of the world. With a lot of players, they could maybe have a Premier and a Second Tier Tour played at different venues, with players getting promoted and relegated each year. Maybe they could even join forces with the Ladies Tour?

All off the top of my head. But, it seems like the current tours are going to have a fight on their hands, simply with the sheer amount of money LIV are enticing players with. So, it seems like if they could join forces and really try and go global, it could generate some excitement amongst fans, and be very interesting to sponsors and broadcasters across the world.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there any possibility that the PGA Tour and DP World Tour will decide to completely join forces at some point? Develop some sort of global tour. Many tournaments still within USA overall, but in comparison to the PGA Tour alone, many more tournaments each year outside the US. So, maybe with 50 tournaments per year, 25 could be in US, 15 in Europe, 5 in Asia, 3 in Africa and 2 in Oceania (or something like that). These numbers could change if the game looks to grow in other parts of the world. With a lot of players, they could maybe have a Premier and a Second Tier Tour played at different venues, with players getting promoted and relegated each year. Maybe they could even join forces with the Ladies Tour?

All off the top of my head. But, it seems like the current tours are going to have a fight on their hands, simply with the sheer amount of money LIV are enticing players with. So, it seems like if they could join forces and really try and go global, it could generate some excitement amongst fans, and be very interesting to sponsors and broadcasters across the world.

I think you could see a model where the PGA Tour and DPWT came together, with a top tier of events, mostly PGA Tour and some leading DPWT events in the Premier League, some other DPWT and Korn Ferry Tour events in the second tier and some other Korn Ferry and Challenge Tour events in a third tier, with common money lists and promotion and relegation between tiers.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Right now the PGA and ET have 99% of the big players

It has drifted from that. I would make it pgat and dp have 85%.

The only players that matter, are the top 100, and weighted to the top 20 mattering even more. Liv has about 15 % of that right now.

The pathway to new golfers is spread between the two. Some young golfers will stick with the proven route for the moment, plus no concern about majors access until that clarifies.
But in its favour, LIV can wave big dollars in front of young players off the bat. PGA only offers - come and see if you can win the big bucks, but no guarantee. So its about even for me on that front at the moment.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I can't fathom all the 'outrage' about the appeal, why is anyone throwing a wobbly about this?

Regardless of whether you support or oppose LIV. If sanctions (fines & bans etc) are part of the contract players have with ET basic common sense tells us there must also be a right of appeal process within the contract too... the same contract!

And if one part of a disciplinary process is used why the outrage if another part is. Are we actually advocating a carte blanche regime from the Tours? Do those players throwing a hissy fit really not want a right of appeal if/when they receive a sanction in future

If players who received a sanction want to appeal that's surely ok for them to do so? (as bitter a pill as that might taste to some, its just how things are done)
Those against them appealing have predetermined their guilt of a contract you haven't even seen. There's several possible outcomes to the appeal, upheld, failed, downgraded etc
Maybe the sanction is too high (based on the breach) and an appeal gets it dropped to 50k and one event ban, surely the players have that right to explore?

Plus its perfectly normal too for a sanction (ban &/or fine) to be suspended pending the outcome of an appeal, and if the appeal fails the sanction will be upheld and applied to other events down the line (& if that means a particular tournament initially slated for a ban can now be entered well that's just a consequence too because its actually immaterial which three events the ban is for (or should I say it should be immaterial, otherwise its an indication the sanction may not be as just as it appears)

Swango1980

Visit site
Right now the PGA and ET have 99% of the big players and also have the pathway for new players - why won’t they be the big winner ? They hold most of the trump cards including help for entry into the majors and Ryder Cup

All LIV have is money

The PGA don’t need to back down and call a truce.

As for sponsors - most of the players going to LIV have lost their sponsors
That is completely subjective. How do you define big players? There will be many fans in the world that will define big players as only a handful of the biggest personalities in the game (i.e. the types likely to get the biggest sponsorship deals, due to their high profile status). Therefore, if many fans listed the big players in golf, they may simply list:

Rory McIlroy
John Rahm
Justin Thomas
Jordan Spieth
DJ
Brooks Koepka
Bryson DeChambeau
Tiger Woods

There will be lots of players higher up the rankings, but many may not see them a big player in the game of golf. So, in that list alone, LIV have 37.5% of the biggest players in the game of golf. Even if we throw in another 7 PGA Tour players to the list, LIV still has 20% of the "big" players. If everyone drew up their own list, honestly, I don't think LIV would ever drop as low as 1%. I could only see that in the list of those who are already completely anti-LIV, and simply manufacture a list to ensure the big players in LIV are down at 1%.