LIV Golf

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And from the PGA tour payout according to their profile and contribution to the tour o general. Sort of a bonus profit share..
I can't see any documentation of that/those 'bonus shares'. Got a link/documentation? Prize money payout in most tournaments is pretty much pre-specified (18% for winner etc).

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Augusta National is absolutely an invite only place, but the Masters Tournament is not an invitational. The qualification routes are published, and I don't believe the Masters Committee can uninvite someone who has qualified:

• Masters Tournament Champions (Lifetime)
  • US Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
  • British Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
  • PGA Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
  • Winners of The Players Championship (Three years)
  • Current Olympic Gold Medalist (One year)
  • Current US Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year) and the runner-up to the current US Amateur Champion
  • Current British Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year)
  • Current Asia-Pacific Amateur Champion
  • Current Latin America Amateur Champion
  • Current US Mid-Amateur Champion
  • The first 12 players, including ties, in the previous year's Masters Tournament
  • The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's US Open Championship
  • The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's British Open Championship
  • The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's PGA Championship
  • Winners of PGA Tour events that award a full-point allocation for the season-ending Tour Championship, from previous Masters to current Masters
  • Those qualifying for the previous year's season-ending Tour Championship
  • The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for the previous calendar year
  • The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters Tournament
These are the published qualification routes. The committee can invite people who have not qualified with these methods. It is usually only 1 or 2, they have in the past invited players on the Asian Tour in an attempt to get more viewers, they have also invited big names who have possibly dropped down, I think Montgomery was invited once a few years back.

Langer qualifies by being a former champion, he is not invited, he has a lifetime exemption, but despite this, I am not so sure about that anecdote because I don't think members can play on the course for a couple months before the Masters, and past champions can't just rock up whenever they want to play

Sounds an awful place to be a member

Can't play for a couple months and rest of year their always doing maintenance for the masters! Chopping and changing the thing

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aramco and the LIV Tour are rather similar. Armco is a listed company with shares, but the vast majority is owned by Saudi Royal Family. It is a minor distinction.

I wouldn't play there, even if I qualified for the Ladies European Tour.

The only difference I can see is that the LET have chosen to develop this relationship, and the players play on the LET. They have a degree of separation from the issue, but only a modest degree. LET players have a smaller number of choices about where to play, so the choice not to play on ethical grounds carries a larger cost for many LET players.

The LIV Tour has no such separation. It is the Saudi Royal Family. There is little pressure to play for wealthy PGA Tour players who are just getting greedy as their money-making abilities fade.

Springveldt

Visit site
Sounds an awful place to be a member

Can't play for a couple months and rest of year their always doing maintenance for the masters! Chopping and changing the thing
I doubt any of the members care. It seems to me that they just want to be members of a very elite, private club.

I don't understand the adulation for the place, it's everything that the non golfing public dislike about golf.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Of course.
Olympians, LPGA members, LET players - all escaping the wrath of the principled journalists who so eagerly stick the knife into those gentleman who work for the same paymasters.
Moronic levels of hypocrisy.. ??
So having successfully, and quite cheaply, bought the a sizeable chunk of the Women's game, they are now going for the Men's game, but encountering rather more resistance!
And, indeed, moronic levels of hypocrisy!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
He has a pretty good record in this event, though it's not normally a particularly high rated tournament - the (aged) multiplier from last year's tournament was 0.57 - same as the 'traditionally weak' John Deere's
Not familiar with the 'aged multiplier', but these are owgr stats from 2021

John Deere Classic 11TH JULY 2021
Strength of Field 122
Winner 28 points

abrdn Scottish Open 11TH JULY 2021
Strength of Field 424
Winner 56 points

And for 2022
Genesis Scottish Open
SOF 649
Proj 1st Points 70

Barbasol Championship
SOF 10
Proj 1st Points 24

D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/li...xcyRLBqxUq9LGTMLKOQFmAgc1E#l58jqou7qdgil7o0n4

One potentially good thing for the European Ryder Cup Team is it’s got rid of all the old boys who were hanging on for dear life, hasn't it,” he said, referring to the likes of Ian Poulter, Paul Casey, Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia who now face the possibility of being banned from any future involvement in the event going forward. “They’re gone now. So good, there’ll be a lot of great young players coming in and it might be the best thing that’s ever happened for us.”

???
Knox, who also sits on the PGA Tour Player Advisory Council said: "It is what it is, they’ve gone for the money and can you blame them for that? Not really. Is it good for golf and something I’d do? No. But I wasn’t offered 150 million! It leaves a weird feeling for me, I just don’t like it. I’m just not a fan.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Aramco and the LIV Tour are rather similar. Armco is a listed company with shares, but the vast majority is owned by Saudi Royal Family. It is a minor distinction.

I wouldn't play there, even if I qualified for the Ladies European Tour.

The only difference I can see is that the LET have chosen to develop this relationship, and the players play on the LET. They have a degree of separation from the issue, but only a modest degree. LET players have a smaller number of choices about where to play, so the choice not to play on ethical grounds carries a larger cost for many LET players.

The LIV Tour has no such separation. It is the Saudi Royal Family. There is little pressure to play for wealthy PGA Tour players who are just getting greedy as their money-making abilities fade.

Talk about clutching at straws.
I’m not bothered one bit about LIV by the way but the hypocrisy is unbelievable, if it’s good for one surely it’s good for the other.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Great interview that from Horschel. Very passionate and you can tell he’s upset by what’s going on and being said.

What an absolute mess our game is in.
Billy can almost taste that Ryder Cup spot ????

Yeah the upper levels of men's pro game are a bit of a mess. But there may be a number of 'further down' pros thinking it may be a little easier gaining some extra starts, and maybe finishing a few places higher, with possibly some bigger purses...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Talk about clutching at straws.
I’m not bothered one bit about LIV by the way but the hypocrisy is unbelievable, if it’s good for one surely it’s good for the other.

Not clutching at straws. Trying to actually look at the issues instead of jumping to blind apologism or whatabouttery like some of the LIV Tour advocates here. And you are not bothered about LIV, so you don't really make any moral distinctions anyway. Regardless, there is a subtle difference between the two situations. Sorry/not sorry if you disagree.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not familiar with the 'aged multiplier', but these are owgr stats from 2021
It's not 'aged multiplier', but 'aged' multiplier. Basically, the value of any tournament's points 'age' (reduce) over time. So while winning a tournament might be worth 24 points contribution to OWGR this week, it might only be worth 0.5761 * 24 for the same win in the previous year's tournament. Basically recent results carry more weight (up to 100%) while earlier results carry less weight (57.61%) at 1 year. Actual Points allocated to any tournament depend partly on quality of field as per your post. JDC winner getting 24 points, while the week before the winner of Travellers got 54. That is then averaged of 2 years of tournaments and produces the ranking. There's a few other subtleties, but that's the gist.

sunshine

Visit site
Im pretty sure it will end up behind a paywall, at which point the PGA tour really does have a problem, because they will then be competing for television deals with LIV - so unless the money on the table goes up massively, the PGA tour tv revenue will significantly diminish.
It also means the LIV series has cemented its position in the professional golfing calendar.

This is straight out of a comedy sketch. Yes Minister or a political satire.

The ridiculous mix of contradictions, propaganda and utter drivel. You have been banging on about how it’s free to air is a major selling point but now you’re claiming the opposite.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

The ridiculous mix of contradictions, propaganda and utter drivel. You have been banging on about how it’s free to air is a major selling point but now you’re claiming the opposite.

Speaking of which, has LIV Golf signed up Rishi Sunak yet?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Seriously, if you can’t read, don’t write.
Of course the free to air aspect is a major selling point right now, but everybody has to accept that they may go to a subscription package in the future, should the financials make sense for them. Personally, I’d hope it stays accessible, if not on You Tube then maybe something similar to Amazon.