LIV Golf

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Graeme McDowell reporting receiving some offensive comments.
Not really unexpected, but not how conversations with Golf stars should work.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't heard what sort of offensive comments are being made to GMac, and they shouldn't happen, but he knows better than most other players to think that he can keep contentious political issues out of this, and all his repetition of 'We are just here to play golf' is not going to be an adequate response.

When LIV players joined, they knew 100% that they were going to get grief about Saudi.

Swango1980

Visit site
I haven't heard what sort of offensive comments are being made to GMac, and they shouldn't happen, but he knows better than most other players to think that he can keep contentious political issues out of this, and all his repetition of 'We are just here to play golf' is not going to be an adequate response.

When LIV players joined, they knew 100% that they were going to get grief about Saudi.
He can still call out offensive comments though, can he not? Unless you are suggesting he should either just accept them, or he should have elected not to join LIV simply because he might get some offensive comments? Which would be a pretty poor way of making a professional decision.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
LIV contract for sure. But again he is over the hill as a golfer, so it adds to pre-Champions Tour flavour to LIV. Skipping being RC captain. No biggie at all. Has long been overplayed as a job of any worth.

This is such a pointless comment. I am old, over the hill, worked damn hard as a youngster and now I am older would like more money for less if I could, who wouldn't, maybe you, but the majority would and you can 100% understand that. If another employer offered me a 3 day week for exactly the same as my 5 day I would be all over it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fair point, the golf is going to be secondary then.
At times, I believe.
I can remember one (in)famous question by 'the Press' - handled perfectly by Dr Christiaan Barnard - about the 1st heart transplant that demonstrates the attitude of 'the Press' at times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

This is such a pointless comment. I am old, over the hill, worked damn hard as a youngster and now I am older would like more money for less if I could, who wouldn't, maybe you, but the majority would and you can 100% understand that. If another employer offered me a 3 day week for exactly the same as my 5 day I would be all over it.
I have absolutely no issue with golfers taking the easy money. I just can't take to the rubbish they were spouting about growing the game etc.

Another point, sportsmen often want more than just money. Wins, records, beating the best etc, are important to them, once financial security is achieved. So, if LIV doesn't become a recognised major tour, will they be happy without the kudos of winning the "elite" events?
Of course it may become elite and that becomes a moot point.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He can still call out offensive comments though, can he not? Unless you are suggesting he should either just accept them, or he should have elected not to join LIV simply because he might get some offensive comments? Which would be a pretty poor way of making a professional decision.

Read what I wrote. I said he should EXPECT them. If you stood in front of The Kop at Anfield and shouted that Jurgen Klopp is an incompetent idiot, you should expect to be bottled. The crowd shouldn't bottle you, and I don't approve of them doing so, but you can't say you shouldn't have expect it.

GMac shas been giving his analysis of Saudi human rights, 9/11 etc. He is digging that hole much deeper, and he should consider just shutting up.

In the meantime, GMac can respond to the comments as he wishes, taking into account whether his responses will make the situation better or worse. If he doesn't care about the origins of Saudi money, that is up to him. But those who sponsor him, watch him and support him may have different views and he knew that before he decided. If he weighed that into his decision, fine. If he didn't, more fool him. He also knew that he would be banned by the PGA Tour, not be Ryder Cup captain etc, so if he is fine with that too, cool.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Read what I wrote. I said he should EXPECT them. If you stood in front of The Kop at Anfield and shouted that Jurgen Klopp is an incompetent idiot, you should expect to be bottled. The crowd shouldn't bottle you, and I don't approve of them doing so, but you can't say you shouldn't have expect it.

GMac can respond to the comments as he wishes, taking into account whether his responses will make the situation better or worse. If he doesn't care about the origins of Saudi money, that is up to him. But those who sponsor him, watch him and support him may have different views and he knew that before he decided. If he weighed that into his decision, fine. If he didn't, more fool him. He also knew that he would be banned by the PGA Tour, not be Ryder Cup captain etc, so if he is fine with that too, cool.
What are the ‘origins of Saudi Money’?

D

Deleted member 15344

He should read this thread, some absolutely embarrassing comments made about professional sportsmen.

Nonsense - there has been nothing said on here about any of the players that is “embarrassing” nor something that hasn’t been said about players many times over the years.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

GMac shas been giving his analysis of Saudi human rights, 9/11 etc. He is digging that hole much deeper, and he should consider just shutting up.

In the meantime, GMac can respond to the comments as he wishes, taking into account whether his responses will make the situation better or worse. If he doesn't care about the origins of Saudi money, that is up to him. But those who sponsor him, watch him and support him may have different views and he knew that before he decided. If he weighed that into his decision, fine. If he didn't, more fool him. He also knew that he would be banned by the PGA Tour, not be Ryder Cup captain etc, so if he is fine with that too, cool.

Your Klopp analogy is pathetic
Maybe you should read what your posting before posting.
Bottled lol
One of the reasons the gap between LIV golfers and PGA tour players is the PGA players dissing the LIV players.
Apparently all the golfers that have gone over are past their prime and on the wain,so why worry then.
Just get on with it.
The more they comment the bigger the divide will be.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Ryder Cup is 1 weekend in a 100. It is not a factor in anyone's thinking in this contest other than as a small bargaining chip. They have bigger fish to fry than the RC.

the players? Absolutely but the DP tour is pretty much reliant on the Ryder Cups revenue to survive tbh

It’s probably a stronger bargain position for the LiV players than the tour