LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Liv has 2 of the top 20. About 8 of the top50. And close to 20 of the top 100.
Thats while the owgr is still relevant, but its the only measure we have and hasnt yet been distorted.

So LIV having about 15% of the field is about right. The top 20 holding out is the key for the pgat. Without more jumping, liv will be locked in as second division to the pgat.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
☝ there may be an argument they are already distorted. It seems likely many of them knew where they were going some time ago. I find myself looking back to the end of 2021 rankings.
That said, the bookies seem to be broadly with the current rankings. Should that change then the validity may be questioned.

D

Deleted member 15344

God forbid that someone from the LIV tour win a major......then what happens ?

They pick up the trophy , will get the ranking points and will be able to defend - no different to if someone else won it ?‍♂️

Why would it be any different

AussieKB

Visit site
Less likely to happen though - statistically.
And will they be able to handle the relative quietness? :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Maybe they would enjoy it....
also I think St. Andrews could throw up someone from way outside the top 50
and then what happens if they turn around and join LIV

D

Deleted member 15344

If , maybe , - it’s like looking for scenarios in the hope of causing issues

It’s a major - doesn’t matter what tour the player is on , it’s all irrelevant for the week

It doesn’t matter if the winner comes from the LIV tour , Euro pro etc - all that matters is the major

I hope for one week that the focus is purely on the greatest golf tournament that anyone can win

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If , maybe , - it’s like looking for scenarios in the hope of causing issues

It’s a major - doesn’t matter what tour the player is on , it’s all irrelevant for the week

It doesn’t matter if the winner comes from the LIV tour , Euro pro etc - all that matters is the major

I hope for one week that the focus is purely on the greatest golf tournament that anyone can win

From a markting point of view I suspect it matters. The ability to sell and event over the next few months to both crowds, corporate guests and sponsors and the amounts that can be demanded has to be impacted by whether you have the winner of the most recent major in the fied.

I do hope that this is all put to one side for The Open, both from the standpoint of Tours point scoring and players having digs at each other. Pick up the pitchforks again after but put them down for the length of one tournament.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
From a markting point of view I suspect it matters. The ability to sell and event over the next few months to both crowds, corporate guests and sponsors and the amounts that can be demanded has to be impacted by whether you have the winner of the most recent major in the fied.

I do hope that this is all put to one side for The Open, both from the standpoint of Tours point scoring and players having digs at each other. Pick up the pitchforks again after but put them down for the length of one tournament.

That'll be 99% down to the media and their questions... I'm sure we can count on them to do the right thing :LOL:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Open does produce occasional 'surprises' (Hamilton, Curtis) but not recently and not at TOC.
As players have stated, 'it's a business decision'.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
They pick up the trophy , will get the ranking points and will be able to defend - no different to if someone else won it ?‍♂️

Why would it be any different

They’re all past it has beens aren’t they?
Paraphrasing obviously but that’s the gist of what you and others in Club PGA have said ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️
?

D

Deleted member 15344

They’re all past it has beens aren’t they?
Paraphrasing obviously but that’s the gist of what you and others in Club PGA have said ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️
?

sorry I’m not sure what that has to do with what I posted ?‍♂️

and what’s club PGA ?‍♂️

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Just read McIlroy's latest comments on the BBC website. He has a seat at the table, been pretty clear about his feelings and has not only just validated LIV by saying discussions need to happen, he's validated the money by referencing LET and the good of the game. Purely speculation on my part, and I've no idea if the Stenson rumours are true, but I believe the jeopardy and the potential devaluing of the Ryder Cup will play a part in the reasons to open discussions. That and the fact anyone has still to clarify the 'rules' that have been broken or the reasons for waivers not being granted.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Ryder Cup is 1 weekend in a 100. It is not a factor in anyone's thinking in this contest other than as a small bargaining chip. They have bigger fish to fry than the RC.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Ryder Cup is 1 weekend in a 100. It is not a factor in anyone's thinking in this contest other than as a small bargaining chip. They have bigger fish to fry than the RC.
Indeed, and if there’s anything in the Stenson rumours I suspect he will see it the same way.
Losing Ryder Cup Captain (which is likely if we are being honest), or a LIV contract?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Indeed, and if there’s anything in the Stenson rumours I suspect he will see it the same way.
Losing Ryder Cup Captain (which is likely if we are being honest), or a LIV contract?
LIV contract for sure. But again he is over the hill as a golfer, so it adds to pre-Champions Tour flavour to LIV. Skipping being RC captain. No biggie at all. Has long been overplayed as a job of any worth.