LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Just the tee off, not playing in the competition like a few old guys who should also miss out and their spot given to someone who could win.
Past champions get a lifetime exemption to the tournament. If Gary Player decided he was desperate to play in the main event, I'm not sure who is going to stop him. If there were people trying to stop them, at what point will they tell Olazabal, Lyle, Singh, Mize, Couples and Langer (all who played this years event) to stop playing?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just the tee off, not playing in the competition like a few old guys who should also miss out and their spot given to someone who could win.
He's entitled to play, just like any other past champion.
You are looking at the tournament the wrong way imo.
It's an invitation event, with very strict criteria for the invite. There's plenty of space for elderly past champions, who only play 2 rounds anyway. There'd be plenty of space for 'loosening' the criteria for the invite while still allowing past champs to play. But part of the reason it's 'a major' is the exclusivity of selection criteria for possible winners.

Anyway....Back to the Saudi Super League!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Past champions get a lifetime exemption to the tournament. If Gary Player decided he was desperate to play in the main event, I'm not sure who is going to stop him. If there were people trying to stop them, at what point will they tell Olazabal, Lyle, Singh, Mize, Couples and Langer (all who played this years event) to stop playing?

They have lifetime playing rights, but following a couple of 90+ scores by Doug Ford in the early noughts, the Committee started to write to certain players to ask them not to play once they became truly uncompetitive.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got no issue with some of the poorer players going and making a living, it's when the top players start going on about feeding their families after they've earned 20m+ already I find annoying.

There will come a point where a career high earner not necessarily a large number of tournament wins to their name decides to join. Are they trying to get more wins or are they simply on a gravy train for even more money. Do they really need any more? I get about providing for your family but some of these guys could put the whole neighbourhood through college and university

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There will come a point where a career high earner not necessarily a large number of tournament wins to their name decides to join. Are they trying to get more wins or are they simply on a gravy train for even more money. Do they really need any more? I get about providing for your family but some of these guys could put the whole neighbourhood through college and university

I don't care what they do, but don't insult my intelligence when people are struggling to feed their kids that you're making a decision for your kids future, like they'll ever have to struggle anyway. Just say you want to be even more rich than you are now and go.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Well he, (and Poulter and Westwood), could do whatever was available before the Saudi dollars became available. One of the Seniors Tours perhaps, or ‘put something back into the game’ that has rewarded them so well. Let’s face it, none of them need the money to ‘put food on the table’, I suspect they are all wealthy enough not to worry about paying bills for the rest of their lives, a position 99.9% of the worlds population would relish. The terms ‘comfortable’ and ‘content’ appear not to be in the vocabulary of the rich.
Of course, if they get very bored, may I suggest they get their bank to bring their wealth round in one dollar bills, or pound coins, and they can spend a few days counting out just how rich they already are….

Indeed, poor old Robert Garrigus only has career earnings of $15m.

Let's hope a win can help him cover his electric bill increase.

#KeepTheLightsOn

sunshine

Visit site

#KeepTheLightsOn

$15m over, what, 25 years? So $600k per year. But he has to pay caddy, agent, coaches etc out of that, so more like $400k. Then travel expenses will be very high, these guys need to pay for flights and hotels every week, and for their caddy too. Easily another $100k without private jets or luxury houses. Probably more, because flying economy would be a false economy (!) if you want to turn up fresh and ready to win. Then tournament entry fees, PGA Tour subscriptions etc, and his earnings before tax might “only” be $250k on average.

I’m just guessing, it would be really interesting to get some proper insight into how much it costs to play on tour (golf monthly editors, there’s an idea for a feature!).

A missed cut must hit the pocket hard for the journeyman pro. I guess this is why sponsorships are so important to these guys.

Swango1980

Visit site

#KeepTheLightsOn
Isn't this just life? I'm sure many of us are lucky enough to live comfortable enough lives, not worrying too much about the electric bill. However, we may fight for a promotion or pay rise at work, or change jobs that give us a bit more money. Do the poorest in society criticise us, or is there a specific wage limit at which we should no longer look for a pay rise?

We all learn to live by our means, and I'm sure many of us who live comfortably would be unhappy to get paid less, especially if we struggle to pay for the lifestyle / house we've come accustomed to.

Pro golfers at the top of the game can earn a lot. The very best golfers can probably be fairly confident their future is going to be fairly stable, so long as they stay fit. No idea what Garrigus is up to these days, but probably one of those guys who cannot guarantee keeping (or getting back) his PGA Tour card. So, the chance to get millions in Saudi Arabia is surely very appealing.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if many of us would buy a ticket to Saudi Arabia to earn millions for a game of golf, especially if we felt our own careers were uncertain. Sadly, none of us will get that chance (although would be funny if this Saudi League had no interest in professional golf, and ended up being amateur golfers with handicaps up to 24.0)

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure if this should go here or in the footie thread, but Majed Al Souror was at the Newcastle game again last night. He is the CEO of Saudi golf and was pictured with DJ, Jared Kushner and Yasir Al Rumayyan (NUFC Chairman) at the recent Saudi event. Continued rumours that one of the proposed future sponsors for NUFC will be Saudi Golf. Not necessarily LIV/Saudi Golf League, but the links are pretty obvious.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if this should go here or in the footie thread, but Majed Al Souror was at the Newcastle game again last night. He is the CEO of Saudi golf and was pictured with DJ, Jared Kushner and Yasir Al Rumayyan (NUFC Chairman) at the recent Saudi event. Continued rumours that one of the proposed future sponsors for NUFC will be Saudi Golf. Not necessarily LIV/Saudi Golf League, but the links are pretty obvious.
Interesting. They are having a tournament at Slaley, do you think they may pile in there and make it a base or is that purely a host course? Am I adding 2 + 2 and making 5?

sunshine

Visit site
Sadly, none of us will get that chance (although would be funny if this Saudi League had no interest in professional golf, and ended up being amateur golfers with handicaps up to 24.0)

Steady on, I think you’re getting a bit carried away here. I would set the handicap limit at 18.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
See Westwood and Bland have asked for requests to play in the LIV Golf events - and here begins the Saudi golf bingo

I'll start the bidding with..... Independent contractor

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See Westwood and Bland have asked for requests to play in the LIV Golf events - and here begins the Saudi golf bingo

Fair play to them,

Don't see why they should be tied to one tour

I would love to see tiger ask to play because I doubt they would dare so no to him.

It's a different format, sounds interesting and fun to watch

They have made them not clash with any big events

No harm

D

Deleted member 15344

Guess that’s Westwoods Ryder Cup career over