LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Does that £25 include all green fees? If so that is excellent value.

Yep, he gets free membership with my adult membership until he’s 18 at Willow Valley - has access to 2x18 and 1x9 hole course there, then he’s a junior member at Dewsbury (£25) which is a 10 minute walk through the woods from where we live. Considering getting him a membership at Huddersfield as well next year, it’s one of the best draining courses in the area - the other two aren’t great through the winter months.

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep, he gets free membership with my adult membership until he’s 18 at Willow Valley - has access to 2x18 and 1x9 hole course there, then he’s a junior member at Dewsbury which is a 10 minute walk through the woods from where we live. Considering getting him a membership at Huddersfield as well next year, it’s one of the best draining courses in the area - the other two aren’t great through the winter months.

How much would it be if you werent a member?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
kids don’t start playing golf because of the PGAT or ET or LIV golf

They don’t start because of Rick Shiels or Forebrothers etc on you tube
Many PGA tour members have their own foundations and part of that is to help youngsters into the game and I am sure the charities involved at each event do the same. Even on the DP tour especially at places like the BMW and the Open there are fanzones where kids can try mini golf, get lessons etc so don't think your statement holds water. Similarly I know Shiels has put on events at ranges historically especially at Trafford Golf and Prairie Sports so again I think you don't give these major influencers enough credit

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many PGA tour members have their own foundations and part of that is to help youngsters into the game and I am sure the charities involved at each event do the same. Even on the DP tour especially at places like the BMW and the Open there are fanzones where kids can try mini golf, get lessons etc so don't think your statement holds water. Similarly I know Shiels has put on events at ranges historically especially at Trafford Golf and Prairie Sports so again I think you don't give these major influencers enough credit

Shiels has 2 million followers yet is looked down the nose at by those who underestimated YouTube.

D

Deleted member 35577

Shiels has 2 million followers yet is looked down the nose at by those who underestimated YouTube.
And his content is rubbish compared to Finch who can actually play golf and produce slicker videos. In my opinion of course.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I know LP can answer for himself but I dunno if you could write that post if you don't take those two lines out of their context, but since you have...

pga tour members isn't the pga tour
Don't know why charities is mentioned
Surely if you're at two of the biggest golf events on UK shores you're already into golf, so to credit the fanzone at a golf event the kids already at for getting the kid into golf is generous
I like RS but what he did 12+ years ago in his job as a range pro doesn't really compare to the content he's knocking out in the years since then (he didn't have 2mil followers back then either so was not a major influencer)

D

Deleted member 15344

And his content is rubbish compared to Finch who can actually play golf and produce slicker videos. In my opinion of course.

I haven’t watched much from Rick Sheils apart from when he did the golfbidder challenge which was interesting

Do enjoy seeing the Peter Finch vids and podcast , especially when he is playing against young club champs etc

D

Deleted member 15344

I know LP can answer for himself but I dunno if you could write that post if you don't take those two lines out of their context, but since you have...

Surely if you're at two of the biggest golf events on UK shores you're already into golf, so to credit the fanzone at a golf event the kids already at for getting the kid into golf is generous
I like RS but what he did 12+ years ago in his job as a range pro doesn't really compare to the content he's knocking out in the years since then (he didn't have 2mil followers back then either so was not a major influencer)

Summed it up very well

Kids going to events are already golf fans , the ones watching the likes of RS on Twitter etc are already golf fans

I guess whem RS was a club pro ( no idea if he was or not ) then he would have been involved in club ideas to get kids into golf

Clubs do many initiatives to get kids to play - when they are interested in golf then they will pick up stuff to watch

Overall I think it’s a great discussion and with the way golf has developed over the last 3-4 years since Covid has been very interesting and key to many clubs being full etc - and imo is very detached from Tour golf - LIV or PGAT etc

wjemather

Visit site
Summed it up very well

Kids going to events are already golf fans , the ones watching the likes of RS on Twitter etc are already golf fans

I guess whem RS was a club pro ( no idea if he was or not ) then he would have been involved in club ideas to get kids into golf

Clubs do many initiatives to get kids to play - when they are interested in golf then they will pick up stuff to watch

Overall I think it’s a great discussion and with the way golf has developed over the last 3-4 years since Covid has been very interesting and key to many clubs being full etc - and imo is very detached from Tour golf - LIV or PGAT etc
Many kids are grabbed by their experience at these events, not before.
Going to the Open Championship was pretty much where it started for me, and I know others who would say similar.

LIV appear to have lots going on at their events aimed at youngsters and newcomers to the game; more than most other golf tournaments I've been to.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

OK so lets start with the PGA tour as a whole. Loads of charities attached to that, and usually a charity of some description at each event and if you watch shows like PGA The Cut you'll see the work (and that the players themselves) are doing. The charities at each event are often seen not only supporting sick and ill children but in introducing kids especially from deprived areas or backgrounds into the game. That show is on Sky Golf every week so the evidence isn't hard to find. Similarly the DP do similar (albeit on a reduced scale)

The Open fanzone in particular is a big hit every year and just because you are at an event doesn't mean you've ever had access to some basic coaching etc which is offered, the same as the BMW. You could take it to an extreme point and argue that maybe it is daddy who wants to be at the golf and little "Johnny" has been taken anyway so may not have a connection with golf yet. Either way I still think the OP's point is false.

As for Shiels I am sure he put on a range night not so long ago, certainly within the last 2 years so definitely when he was over 1m followers (minimum). I simply feel stating kids don't start to play because of PGAT, ET or even LIV was erroneous and that Shiels and others have used their platforms to get others involved. That isn't to say there isn't more these big YT influencers couldn't be doing

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OK so lets start with the PGA tour as a whole. Loads of charities attached to that, and usually a charity of some description at each event and if you watch shows like PGA The Cut you'll see the work (and that the players themselves) are doing. The charities at each event are often seen not only supporting sick and ill children but in introducing kids especially from deprived areas or backgrounds into the game. That show is on Sky Golf every week so the evidence isn't hard to find. Similarly the DP do similar (albeit on a reduced scale)

The Open fanzone in particular is a big hit every year and just because you are at an event doesn't mean you've ever had access to some basic coaching etc which is offered, the same as the BMW. You could take it to an extreme point and argue that maybe it is daddy who wants to be at the golf and little "Johnny" has been taken anyway so may not have a connection with golf yet. Either way I still think the OP's point is false.

As for Shiels I am sure he put on a range night not so long ago, certainly within the last 2 years so definitely when he was over 1m followers (minimum). I simply feel stating kids don't start to play because of PGAT, ET or even LIV was erroneous and that Shiels and others have used their platforms to get others involved. That isn't to say there isn't more these big YT influencers couldn't be doing

Not to mention all his charity work he did that even got him on the news which raised his profile thus raising golf profile

At a time were we have money dominating the game and division. Someone like shiels giving a good story is brilliant

D

Deleted member 15344

Many kids are grabbed by their experience at these events, not before.
Going to the Open Championship was pretty much where it started for me, and I know others who would say similar.

LIV appear to have lots going on at their events aimed at youngsters and newcomers to the game; more than most other golf tournaments I've been to.

How many kids go to a golf event that aren’t already playing golf ?

Do people go to The Open for a whole day when they aren’t alreyad interested in golf

Kids going to LIV will be already playing golf at some level

When you watch things like The Openzone and then interviews with players after you see all the kids already covered in golf garb

Going to events will prob enhance kids enjoyment

Tour golf is great to watch but the growing of the game and getting the kids into the sport happens at the grass roots of the sport

Kids pick up the likes of RS etc after they have taken up the sport at some level

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Jeez your determined to take it off course. Ok its the end of the work day for me so :

This is the first line on the post you partially quoted, maybe you missed it

"Kids get into golf because of work done by schools , golf clubs , counties and governing bodies as well as having family members or friends playing"

I tend to agree that primarily these will be the 'influencers' for kids who aren't into golf, to maybe get into golf & rightly this is where most of the credit should go... not typically the commercial professional tours or via YT (commercial) stars

Yes I'm sure if we ask enough kids we'll find some who experienced absolutely none of the above in bold but weirdly they did somehow come into contact with a a PGA Tour Pro's charitable foundation programme instead, good stuff
If we ask enough kids we'll find one that had to be dragged to the 150th Open kicking and screaming but once there they fell in love with the putting mat at the fanzone and now plays off 12 H/cap, good stuff

Good for them, I'm glad they found a way in, but doesn't change who the primary influencers

Oh and I haven't seen all RS vids but but most of the last two years & I've seen precious few at a golf range. Are you referring to the range evening session where he gave a £ for every yard ppl could drive the ball. I didn't see kids there or anyone not already into golf for that matter.
It was a commercial venture for him (as well as good fun by the looks of it) & if someone was watching on YT and their kid saw it over their shoulder and is now a rangegoat then that's good stuff too

wjemather

Visit site
How many kids go to a golf event that aren’t already playing golf ?

Do people go to The Open for a whole day when they aren’t alreyad interested in golf
A lot.
Yes, usually when their parents (or other) take them. People also attend sports that they have an interest in, but never actually played, and then get inspired to give it a go.
Kids going to LIV will be already playing golf at some level
It's just too obvious that you made this up. Why do you keep doing this?

D

Deleted member 15344

A lot.
Yes, usually when their parents (or other) take them. People also attend sports that they have an interest in, but never actually played, and then get inspired to give it a go.

It's just too obvious that you made this up. Why do you keep doing this?

Sorry but kids going to sporting events that they have no interest in and you think I’m making stuff up

That could be any event even non sporting ones -

Why would a parent even take children to events where they have no interest , spend money on tickets when the chance is the child will be bored with minutes

Tour golf is not where kids get interesting in the sport .

Maybe in the past when the likes of Woods were all over the place kids went out and tried a have a game but many barriers stopped that

The sport at the grass roots levels what grows the game , it’s what gets kids into the sport along with family connections

Last edited by a moderator: