LIV Golf

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm not sure. It is completely relevant if there is a theory that LIV is trying to attract the youngsters as a market, and not worried about vast majority of the golfing market (the over 40's).

It might be why the perception to most is that LIV has never really taken off. Although, given that I'm sure most of us are over 40, then we would say that wouldn't we, as LIV isn't really for us.

That’s where this part of the discussion started but it morphed into the cost of equipment and golf club fees.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
As for your last paragraph, I think this is a nice thing to assume. But I suspect it wouldn't be the reality for most. If I had the same level of media as a child as they do now, I know that I wouldn't be watching golf clips. No matter how much you think golf is cool, there are many things that are much cooler. So golf isn't going to be the standout sport for kids who have previously no interest on it. Instead, if I had youTube as a kid, I'd have probably stopped going out to play football with my mates, or going out to just hang about socially. I'd almost certainly have no interest in going for my first game of golf when my nan suggested it. I'd probably have my head buried in mind numbing youTube clips. Clips of funny things happening, youTube clips of tips for my current video game, etc.

I guess this is where I'm getting at though, if younger people are getting into it or at least more aware of it then it goes from their nan suggesting it to your dad or mum, then an older sibling, to a group of mates and they're more receptive to it because of clips they've seen on YouTube where its young lads like the Good Good guys dressed in decent gear having a laugh on the course. It's got to help in changing perceptions of golf being a stuffy old mans sport.

I quite often play evenings at our place and on a nice summers evening you'll generally see groups of teenagers playing - although I realise I play at a village club so i can't imagine theres a great deal else for them to do.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My lad is a member of 2 golf clubs for the total annual membership cost of £25

For comparison, the annual subs for his football club at circa £150.

Up until 2 years ago, with the exception of his driver, his golf clubs were bought for £30 second hand.

Stop pretending golf HAS to be expensive, it absolutely does not have to be, especially for juniors.

Swango1980

Visit site

Up until 2 years ago, with the exception of his driver, his golf clubs were bought for £30 second hand.

Stop pretending golf HAS to be expensive, it absolutely does not have to be, especially for juniors.
I'm sure golf I'd cheaper and more convenient than kicking a football on the street.

I'm not sure why, when comparing the sports, people use about the cheapest rate at which a Junior can play golf somewhere, to one of the more expensive rates for a kid to play football.

If golf was so economical and handy, I wonder why considerably more kids don't play golf over football? Hmmmm

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
All this talk of 1st game and costs of getting kids into golf etc etc is all well and good but.... Can we agree that LIV is not aiming to attract 7-12 yr old kids as its primary viewing demographic

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'm sure golf I'd cheaper and more convenient than kicking a football on the street.

I'm not sure why, when comparing the sports, people use about the cheapest rate at which a Junior can play golf somewhere, to one of the more expensive rates for a kid to play football.

If golf was so economical and handy, I wonder why considerably more kids don't play golf over football? Hmmmm

I’m comparing kids football to kids golf - mine has done both for almost ten years, the annual costs of both have been much the same.

Only recently when we’ve invested in new adult clubs have we incurred significant expense, but that isn’t essential.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
All this talk of 1st game and costs of getting kids into golf etc etc is all well and good but.... Can we agree that LIV is not aiming to attract 7-12 yr old kids as its primary viewing demographic

They absolutely aren’t, but the seeds are being sown to make the game seem more interesting to those younger age groups. I’d imagine if you put a PGAT broadcast on alongside a LIV broadcast, infront if a bunch of kids, their attention would be drawn to the latter.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
They absolutely aren’t, but the seeds are being sown to make the game seem more interesting to those younger age groups. I’d imagine if you put a PGAT broadcast on alongside a LIV broadcast, infront if a bunch of kids, their attention would be drawn to the latter.

I can't back it up but those kids you mention would absolutely have to already been into golf to watch either broadcast

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I can't back it up but those kids you mention would absolutely have to already been into golf to watch either broadcast

Why would they? I’m not suggesting they sit and watch it for an hour, but the LIV production would hold their attention the longest.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Then its irrelevant as a measure of anything. Its like asking whether they'd watch Corrie or Eastenders for longer, it matters not

Of course it does - because out of that bunch of kids that watch for longer, some may stay tuned, and take an interest in the game as a result.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Of course it does - because out of that bunch of kids that watch for longer, some may stay tuned, and take an interest in the game as a result.

So what, a kid might get hooked on Corrie, it still has nowt to do with LIV golf in general and the recent posts about different viewing platform options which spawned posts about costs of getting kids into golf

You’ll be telling me next that depending on which kids get jammie dodger or jaffa cake while being force-fed a golf broadcast will determine if they’ll like liv or pgat better

As @Hobbit says it just got just so off tangent

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So what, a kid might get hooked on Corrie, it still has nowt to do with LIV golf in general and the recent posts about different viewing platform options which spawned posts about costs of getting kids into golf

You’ll be telling me next that depending on which kids get jammie dodger or jaffa cake while being force-fed a golf broadcast will determine if they’ll like liv or pgat better

As @Hobbit says it just got just so off tangent

If you had them side by side .. a non golf fan probably would be equally interested / bored with Liv as the pga tour.

The free to air would be a winner for some

But for the seasoned fan pga tour wins.

That said I was disappointed Sunday not being able to cast sky go to my TV so didn't bother watching .. that's sky faults rather than the pga tour tho. tnt sport you can cast

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If you had them side by side .. a non golf fan probably would be equally interested / bored with Liv as the pga tour.

The free to air would be a winner for some

But for the seasoned fan pga tour wins.

That said I was disappointed Sunday not being able to cast sky go to my TV so didn't bother watching .. that's sky faults rather than the pga tour tho. tnt sport you can cast

Yup, if not already into golf then a random kid is just as likely to get bored or interested in either/neither & neither tour is targeting kids as a demographic. Collecting any viewers of that age is just a nice happenstance

D

Deleted member 15344

Kids get into golf because of work done by schools , golf clubs , counties and governing bodies as well as having family members or friends playing

Covid helped get more kids in and then clubs built on that

kids don’t start playing golf because of the PGAT or ET or LIV golf

They don’t start because of Rick Shiels or Forebrothers etc on you tube

We have had a huge success with improving our juniors and that was through the work of the Junior Organisers and Golf Pro as well as the mentality of the members changing

In the days gone by the likes of me use to just have BBC etc and golf used to be on and I watched it and asked if I could have a go etc - that doesn’t happen anymore

The current bunch we have started through friends and the organisers doing to holiday camps and after school clubs and putting on little clinics where kids could try things out and that’s what got them in
The kids would watch the broadcast that was showing their favourite player ( most of the time woods or Rory ) , or who looked the best , the brightest shoes , the loudest clothes , the best looking clubs or bag or the pro that is playing the same clubs as them

But 99% of the kids imo are not interested in sitting there watching golf , if they are interested they want to be playing it

And if they do want to watch things about golf then it will be people who are having fun on a course for ten mins , trying tricks shots etc

D

Deleted member 35577

Does that £25 include all green fees? If so that is excellent value.