LIV Golf

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much every single kid that joined the junior section that I ran did so because their dad/mum played. It’s that simple.

I certainly had bugger all interest until my dad just signed me up for lessons as a kid

Then My eldest just wants to do what I'm interested in

D

Deleted member 15344

Pretty much every single kid that joined the junior section that I ran did so because their dad/mum played. It’s that simple.

Pretty similar to ours

Looking at the the juniors we have arrived and that play in the juniors comps

Most have parents that play , they have brought friends along to try ( we give juniors free rounds to give to their friends ) , and the rest have come through a number of schemes the club has done with various schools

Once a week various schools from March onwards who take over the practise ground for “soft golf” - that’s picked up 15 junior members

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The importance and impact the likes of Rick shiels is that they can keep hold of kids who get taken to golf by their parents and in the past would have jacked it in after dipping their toes in.
The youtube crew show a differnt side to the game. It's obviously not everyone's cup of tea but it can be used to hold the attention of younger ones and show game isn't completely overrun by grumpy old men. (Sorry guys)
The youtubers imo will do more to grow the game than watching Phil mickelson play in shorts.
They have become a welcome addition to the golf ecosystem.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The importance and impact the likes of Rick shiels is that they can keep hold of kids who get taken to golf by their parents and in the past would have jacked it in after dipping their toes in.
The youtube crew show a differnt side to the game. It's obviously not everyone's cup of tea but it can be used to hold the attention of younger ones and show game isn't completely overrun by grumpy old men. (Sorry guys)
The youtubers imo will do more to grow the game than watching Phil mickelson play in shorts.
They have become a welcome addition to the golf ecosystem.
I agree they can provide a different perspective on the sport. However, the increasing trend is getting a bit incestuous with UT people commenting on other UT people, playing with them and sharing platforms. Not sure this is that appealing in comparison with some of the other things they do.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
TBH Phil, the paragraphs you posted were such a long read I wasn't clear in what point you were making, or what opinion you had 😉

My opinion is:
Are a lot more people in the US watching the PGAT than LIV - yes.
Are more people in the UK watching the PGAT than LIV - yes.
For RoW (& excluding the above territories), are more people watching PGAT than LIV - I'm going yes again, but my hunch is the gap may be smaller.

So it is clear LIV have a hill to climb, especially as only a number of territories are charging currently (& we expect that to come if it hangs around).

So, the repeated sharing of US network numbers is IMO a largely pointless exercise.
Even if it moved onto a big tv network with major homes coverage, the sense I have in the US, is a sizable chunk would boycott it anyway on their principles - and more power to them if they feel that way.

As the topic keeps coming up though, what I haven’t seen commented on, is why it matters to those pointing at it 🤔

If the same company published the US figures for The Masters, and The Open Championship - I think we know what that would look like. But for me personally it doesn't affect my views on those majors, and has no relevance to me.

D

Deleted member 15344

TBH Phil, the paragraphs you posted were such a long read I wasn't clear in what point you were making, or what opinion you had 😉

My opinion is:
Are a lot more people in the US watching the PGAT than LIV - yes.
Are more people in the UK watching the PGAT than LIV - yes.
For RoW (& excluding the above territories), are more people watching PGAT than LIV - I'm going yes again, but my hunch is the gap may be smaller.

So it is clear LIV have a hill to climb, especially as only a number of territories are charging currently (& we expect that to come if it hangs around).

So, the repeated sharing of US network numbers is IMO a largely pointless exercise.
Even if it moved onto a big tv network with major homes coverage, the sense I have in the US, is a sizable chunk would boycott it anyway on their principles - and more power to them if they feel that way.

As the topic keeps coming up though, what I haven’t seen commented on, is why it matters to those pointing at it 🤔

If the same company published the US figures for The Masters, and The Open Championship - I think we know what that would look like. But for me personally it doesn't affect my views on those majors, and has no relevance to me.

I believe the viewing figures can be used to tell a number of stories

First - it shows that maybe there wasn’t too many issues with the way golf was before , there isn’t a huge desire to have a tour with just a handful of the top players playing - and maybe that’s also shown in the demise of the WGCs

Also it highlights that the US is still and always will be the biggest and more important market in the sport and they are loyal to the PGAT

Also that the desire for some funky new ways to do scoring and made up teams is not there for too many people

And finally - it’s prob a good sign that the tour is not being successful despite the level of money being poured in and also having some of the best and most exciting golfers in the world - if the likes of Rahm , DJ and BDC in a group aren’t grabbing enough attention then something isn’t right - is it the format? The production ? The graphics etc

The next two events are Saudi and Singapore where it’s going to be like a ghost town at the events

Aus - will be rammed , they will support it

something isn’t working - is it loyalty from some

The LIV social media presence is the loudest out there - it’s a constant barrage across Twitter - is it too much ?

I’m a huge cricket fan - the Hundred came along and for me it was poor and crass but it’s been a hit - telly figures and deals successful - it’s something new but has worked.

Maybe LIV model isn’t right and something needs to change

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wonder if there is a book running on the PIF buying the DP World Tour?

It would seem to solve so many problems if they do and there is so much synergy I can't see the downside for either organisation.

The PGAT seem to have made their alliance now and only view the DPWT as a feeder tour and a financial investment in DPWT Productions so not a problem as long as the money is sorted. PGAT could play in North America and LIV/DPWT the Rest of the World.

Europeans can still go to college in the states and choose which tour to play on.

Would probably make the DPWT events more attractive to sponsors as players with name recognition could play in LIV events and Rolex events which would also enhance TV viewing. If there was a will it could also sort out the ranking problems and participation in majors.

Pelley has gone so no U turns needed. Monahan can deal with the USA only.

Or am I missing something?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It would seem to solve so many problems if they do and there is so much synergy I can't see the downside for either organisation.

The PGAT seem to have made their alliance now and only view the DPWT as a feeder tour and a financial investment in DPWT Productions so not a problem as long as the money is sorted. PGAT could play in North America and LIV/DPWT the Rest of the World.

Europeans can still go to college in the states and choose which tour to play on.

Would probably make the DPWT events more attractive to sponsors as players with name recognition could play in LIV events and Rolex events which would also enhance TV viewing. If there was a will it could also sort out the ranking problems and participation in majors.

They should have done this to start, top 10 could be invited to Liv and the bottom 10 of Liv could drop out and just be on the ET tour

I've said it before would really love to see the ET get one over on the pga

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Expect quite a few have thought this.
We don't really know what pif plans/goals are.
What relationship UAE & Saudi have (in this matter).
Still might mainly only gain access to one major (in reasonable numbers)

Fore Right

Visit site

The golfers on Liv would make a world of difference to the fields on the DPWT which would help bring more attention to the tournaments and be more attractive to sponsors.
Dont really have to buy the DPWT, they just need to allow Liv golfers to play in their events, The PGA Tour wont allow them to do that obviously due to the strategic alliance.
Still not sure what part of that strategy has been good for the european tour.

D

Deleted member 15344

The issue imo is the difference between what Greg Norman wants and what PIF wants

Imo PIF wants in on the PGAT , it’s the main tour - it has everything

The DP has become what it is becauses its near impossible to have two tours standing at the top and for most of the pros it’s an far less taxing schedule on the PGAT and it’s where they are mainly based

Greg Norman imo wants a world tour with the top players - he is just using PIF money to get that

DP tour is a world tour

What PIF could do is take all that LIV money and put it into the DP events - including the co sanctioned events and match all that PGAT prize money

Make all the “Opens” the same level prize money as the big US events - elavate those events and then there is a chance the both tours can sort their schedule out to ensure they don’t clash top level events and the best players can play in both

But that means no more LIV

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Obvious downside for the dpwt is they would become a front for one of the most despicable regimes on the planet and would rightly be as reviled in some sectors as Liv.

Appreciate those of us that care about these things are dwindling but hopefully some sort of conscience remains somewhere in the game…
I take your point and actually agree. However, the DPWT and LET have already aligned themselves with the several dubious regimes by staging events and accepting sponsorship there. A really difficult circle to square.