LIV Golf

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re the team thing, I really didn’t mind it, seemed a decent little side thing going on. You could see some players celebrating a birdie or par save even though they were out of the singles standings which for me meant they were doing it for the team. Rahm must have been gutted to miss out on the playoff but he had a huge smile on his face when his team celebrated the win so maybe it isn’t all as bad as “some” people are trying to make out.
Now I’m no going to go out and buy a team cap or shirt, just like I would never buy a Ryder Cup team item, F1 team cap/shirt etc but maybe down the line the team thing may become more important for some 🤔

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re the team thing, I really didn’t mind it, seemed a decent little side thing going on. You could see some players celebrating a birdie or par save even though they were out of the singles standings which for me meant they were doing it for the team. Rahm must have been gutted to miss out on the playoff but he had a huge smile on his face when his team celebrated the win so maybe it isn’t all as bad as “some” people are trying to make out.
Now I’m no going to go out and buy a team cap or shirt, just like I would never buy a Ryder Cup team item, F1 team cap/shirt etc but maybe down the line the team thing may become more important for some 🤔
He was probably just laughing at how silly it was. 😃

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the sun, getting paid loads of money for 3 rounds of golf silly? 🤣
I just meant the silliness of being awarded a team prize he likely didn't care about. Like an Olympic sprinter who's got a bronze medal, probably cares more about getting gold than where his country is in the overall medal table.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just meant the silliness of being awarded a team prize he likely didn't care about. Like an Olympic sprinter who's got a bronze medal, probably cares more about getting gold than where his country is in the overall medal table.

Ha ha I knew what you meant.
I don’t think the Olympic team is a fair analogy, I doubt any Olympian has ever given a real 💩 about that 🤣

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

Rahm has grown up through College playing team golf, why would he not care? The argument holds no water.

(Not to mention the extra million or so bucks he picked up)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rahm has grown up through College playing team golf, why would he not care? The argument holds no water.

(Not to mention the extra million or so bucks he picked up)
Does college team golf actually involve playing as a team though? i.e. match play? Or is it just playing individual golf with your score arbitrarily added together at the end like it is in LIV?

If they do care then it's only about 5% with 95% of their mind being on their own individual performance. For the top guys like Rahm, that is. I imagine the worst player in each team cares a lot more about what they can chip in for the team score.

D

Deleted member 15344

Golf itself has been generically an individual sport at the professional level , there have been the odd successful team event based on matchplay mainly but the teams have been focused on region teams - ie the Ryder Cup , that’s a great event but a lot of it is because people have a link to a team - Europe or USA , I don’t think the President Cup has the same level

When there have been other events with a team format it’s always been based around nations etc and it’s worked ok - think the Olympics missed a trick by just sticking with single events

These events are also mainly standalone with it all being focused on the team competition

When it comes to other sports with team environment people lock onto teams mainly geographically or historically etc

LIV teams for many imo appear an add on with four golfers just put together

When they play their events it’s a singles event and then at the end they put scores together , the teams don’t have too much identity , links to anything and for some have silly names , it all seems over the top when it comes to how they react etc - Pat Perez a perfect example etc

I think a lot of it comes down to Greg Norman’s vision being very “in the clouds”

There is so much that could be done better and for LIV or PIF etc to be part of an add on with a team ethic - team events during the season maybe country based and then based on matchplay etc - then potential for a team competition with the top teams is there - but imo it’s not LIV and it needs to be a standalone team comp - not an after thought

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm fully aware I'm alone in this thinking but I actually quite like how the team thing is done now :ROFLMAO: I prefer them including all golfers scores on the final day too.

I admit, I haven't yet picked a team, I thought id be Majesticks but they're trash so I'm not... :ROFLMAO:

Hard not to sway towards Legion.. I've always like Hatton and well Rahm....

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Does college team golf actually involve playing as a team though? i.e. match play? Or is it just playing individual golf with your score arbitrarily added together at the end like it is in LIV?

If they do care then it's only about 5% with 95% of their mind being on their own individual performance. For the top guys like Rahm, that is. I imagine the worst player in each team cares a lot more about what they can chip in for the team score.

College golf uses both stroke play and match play. The LIV model is often suggested to have used the system as the basis for the way they score their events.

And as for what percentage they care. That’s your opinion right, you can’t possibly know?
I’d imagine some teams and captains are big into the team ethos, and some others are not.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
College golf uses both stroke play and match play. The LIV model is often suggested to have used the system as the basis for the way they score their events.

And as for what percentage they care. That’s your opinion right, you can’t possibly know?
I’d imagine some teams and captains are big into the team ethos, and some others are not.
Yup, I'm sure the team captains who are useless and have no chance of winning the individual event do care more about their teams.

D

Deleted member 1147

Any truth in the rumours about some players suing the LIV folks because they were promised access to Majors and it isn't forthcoming?
I think I read Ortiz's name mentioned

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Yup, I'm sure the team captains who are useless and have no chance of winning the individual event do care more about their teams.

Well, who would you say is the most dynamic team captain at this stage? For me it would be Bryson, he gives props to his guys all the time, works hard on promoting the team, and yet is still capable of winning the individual.