LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it's correct - as official announcement isn't due until Thursday - I don't see it as a blow for LIV Golf, though maybe a blow for a few LIV golfers who, IMO, have been taking the P! It's simply confirmation that a Tour's administration is entitled to actually perform its role and apply its rules! I'm almost certain that PGAT's case will go the same way, though th US legal process is rather different to the process both parties have gone through in UK! The golfers concerned can simply go to another tour - as they should have done in he first place!
Its certainly a blow for LIV. Clearly LIV recruits wanted to continue to play DP Tour. This shuts the door of it being remotely possible for them. Thus further isolating those jumping to LIV Island, and so a disincentive to others doing so.
Big win here for DP and the PGAT.
LIV disappearing down its own drainhole.

IJames

Visit site
Its certainly a blow for LIV. Clearly LIV recruits wanted to continue to play DP Tour. This shuts the door of it being remotely possible for them. Thus further isolating those jumping to LIV Island, and so a disincentive to others doing so.
Big win here for DP and the PGAT.
LIV disappearing down its own drainhole.
Try reading my post again - a bit more carefully this time! I think your own bias (nothing wrong with that) is affecting your response! Certainly a win for DPWT and a loss for the LIV players involved, but won't affect LIV significantly as its fight, if there is one, is against PGAT! For those LIV players wanting more compeition than LIV provides, the Asian tour is available. The PGAT case is different, imo, so while a morale booster for PGAT, it doesn't suggest, to me, a winner there.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really hope one of the LIV golfers don't win The Masters this week. Not because I don't like the golfers or LIV but because I can't stand Greg Norman and he'll be unbearable if one of "his" players wins it. It's the same as Arsenal winning the Premier League and having to suffer Piers Morgan being happy.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
They’ll go and play in Asia - if they want to. And let’s be clear, Poulter and Westwood have done incredible things for European golf..
A lot of that now being undone by a Canadian in a suit….
The hypocracy has no bounds. These two were very happy to jump ship to the PGAT as soon as the opportunity arose and was the start of the European Tour's demise. To now suggest the best thing for the ET would be to let them play despite them breaking their rules borders on the insane.
Remember the PGAT also did incredible things for these players, where is the loyalty going in that direction.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The hypocracy has no bounds. These two were very happy to jump ship to the PGAT as soon as the opportunity arose and was the start of the European's demise. To now to suggest the best thing for the ET would be to to re-employ them because the PGAT won't, borders on the insane.

They've had nearly 1000 European Tour appearances between them buddy, impressive number if they ditched the tour in favour of the PGAT as soon as they had the chance, and then there's the Ryder Cup, lets throw Garcia in there as well - won more points on the event than anybody else. So yes, they have done great things for European Golf and all three are synonymous with it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Try reading my post again - a bit more carefully this time! I think your own bias (nothing wrong with that) is affecting your response! Certainly a win for DPWT and a loss for the LIV players involved, but won't affect LIV significantly as its fight, if there is one, is against PGAT! For those LIV players wanting more compeition than LIV provides, the Asian tour is available. The PGAT case is different, imo, so while a morale booster for PGAT, it doesn't suggest, to me, a winner there.
My point is that this closing off of LIV golfers playing World Tour IS a blow for LIV, and a strengthens the PGAT, because LIV had become less attractive to potential PGAT defectors. Not that it seems there were any anyway. This is actually a bigger good news story for PGAT than for DPWT really.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
They've had nearly 1000 European Tour appearances between them buddy, impressive number if they ditched the tour in favour of the PGAT as soon as they had the chance, and then there's the Ryder Cup, lets throw Garcia in there as well - won more points on the event than anybody else. So yes, they have done great things for European Golf and all three are synonymous with it.

They’ve all done great things for themselves. It’s their job, they weren’t doing it for charity.

D

Deleted member 15344

I really hope one of the LIV golfers don't win The Masters this week. Not because I don't like the golfers or LIV but because I can't stand Greg Norman and he'll be unbearable if one of "his" players wins it. It's the same as Arsenal winning the Premier League and having to suffer Piers Morgan being happy.

Well Norman couldn’t win it himself so I guess it wouldn’t be a surprise if he found some way to be involved in it all

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have the Green Jackets shut down the idea of a group LIV celebration at the 18tg on Sunday if one of the LIV chort wins ?
Surely something that would get LIV players a lifetime disinvite ?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have the Green Jackets shut down the idea of a group LIV celebration at the 18tg on Sunday if one of the LIV chort wins ?
Surely something that would get LIV players a lifetime disinvite ?

If some of the LIV players miss the cut are they going to be expected to hang around for two days on the off chance one of their colleagues wins?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
It is a blow for the LIV golfers involved, but as stated by the DPWT and the Resolution arbitrator, it was based on very narrow parameters. Very different from the PGAT/LIV case which is much more complicated and broader (but still might go the same way).

I personally think the arbitration (subject to confirmation on Thursday) was a bit of a win - win for the DPWT in any event; the outcome justified the stance the DPWT took with the players (under duress from Big Brother or otherwise) and the fines imposed; had it been found in favour of the players, DPWT events would continue to have been enhanced by their presence.

As it is now, Pelley & co. have a decision to make - I'm sure they'll want to enforce their position, but I do think that would be to the detriment of actual DPWT events. As things are going this year, for non members, it's quite likely Hojgaard (at least one of them!), Meronk and Fox will do enough to earn a PGAT card next year. With the 'designated' events, there'll be plenty more opportunity to fill spaces at other tournaments so unlikely to spend much time on the DPWT.

D

Deleted member 21445

It is a blow for the LIV golfers involved, but as stated by the DPWT and the Resolution arbitrator, it was based on very narrow parameters. Very different from the PGAT/LIV case which is much more complicated and broader (but still might go the same way).

I personally think the arbitration (subject to confirmation on Thursday) was a bit of a win - win for the DPWT in any event; the outcome justified the stance the DPWT took with the players (under duress from Big Brother or otherwise) and the fines imposed; had it been found in favour of the players, DPWT events would continue to have been enhanced by their presence.

As it is now, Pelley & co. have a decision to make - I'm sure they'll want to enforce their position, but I do think that would be to the detriment of actual DPWT events. As things are going this year, for non members, it's quite likely Hojgaard (at least one of them!), Meronk and Fox will do enough to earn a PGAT card next year. With the 'designated' events, there'll be plenty more opportunity to fill spaces at other tournaments so unlikely to spend much time on the DPWT.

The other key point the DPWT has to consider is the threat of the Asian Tour growing if all the Liv players go there as their only other option.
They have already scheduled an event in the UK in August this year.
If they have their international series events with bigger purses and they schedule events in Europe as well as Asia, DPWT members as well as Liv players will be considering playing in those events.

AJNairn

Visit site

And the entertainment provided by Sergio storm-outs will be missed too! :eek: