LIV Golf

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
It is a free market

There is nothing stopping DJ or indeed any other player from leaving LIV and playing on the PGAT again

Right now DJ is under more restrictions playing for LIV than he was playing on the PGAT

And yes there is money in golf - mainly from big sponsors and big media deals - something that LIV it seems can’t attract

Same recycled rubbish about sponsorship that I wont be commenting on.

DJ is not free to return to the PGA tour. Please explain how he goes about it.

I don't doubt he is more restricted now than when this all started, but that's down to the PGA tour and LIV going at loggerheads and being enemies, my overall suggestion here is them working separately but without the needless banning of players.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
It absolutely makes the tour more credible if the governing body of World Golf Rankings award LIV players points. (Again, don't care if they do or don't)
Agreed! But there's a process to be followed and 'standardisation' requirements - which LIV clearly doesn't currently comply with
There are a number of older guys, but they have also signed promising young stars. Tigers the same age as Poulter and yet he's the biggest attraction in golf. No one is saying this weekend is the almost seniors tour. Just a silly argument to have made. For every 40+ guy they have a under 40 guy. Plenty of older names still on the PGA tour too.
Tiger is a unique phenomenon! Nobody compares with what he has achieved! And how he has 'recovered' from his accident! The 'almost seniors' were obvious targets for LIV at startup! I wasn't knocking LIV for targeting them, nor for them deciding to move! And I repeat - not a dig!
And, again, I'm not anti-LIV! Though I'm neither a fan of Norman and his attitudes (he hates he PGAT for some reason) and I don't like LIV's PR approach - though it's pretty effective - but that's nothing to do with 'the product'!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Agreed! But there's a process to be followed and 'standardisation' requirements - which LIV clearly doesn't currently comply with

Tiger is a unique phenomenon! Nobody compares with what he has achieved! And how he has 'recovered' from his accident! The 'almost seniors' were obvious targets for LIV at startup! I wasn't knocking LIV for targeting them, nor for them deciding to move! And I repeat - not a dig!
And, again, I'm not anti-LIV! Though I'm neither a fan of Norman and his attitudes (he hates he PGAT for some reason) and I don't like LIV's PR approach - though it's pretty effective - but that's nothing to do with 'the product'!

Again, I agree, I don't think LIV should have OWGR points, it should just stay as what it is. Exhibition golf, team aspect, big purses, no cut - good fun!

Absolutely he is, but "almost senior" is exactly what Tiger is if Poulter is. In fact, he's probably more senior after all the injuries/ surgeries etc :ROFLMAO:

Half the arguments (and I respect, this is not your argument) around LIV are so childish it actually blows my mind. In fact the whole situation is. Its like a kid stropping off after losing a game of football and taking the ball with him so everyone else misses out.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't doubt he is more restricted now than when this all started, but that's down to the PGA tour and LIV going at loggerheads and being enemies, my overall suggestion here is them working separately but without the needless banning of players.

The sponsorship is pretty key when you talk about the money that the PGA are using for their events - it’s all coming from big sponsors

And if DJ wanted to play on the PGAT again the solution is easy

Resign from the LIV tour - regain his PGAT membership and away he goes

The PGAT would no doubt welcome back any player with open arms if they left LIV

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
Half the arguments (and I respect, this is not your argument) around LIV are so childish it actually blows my mind. In fact the whole situation is. Its like a kid stropping off after losing a game of football and taking the ball with him so everyone else misses out.
I agree! In fact, probably more than half! The Saudi argument can't be used by PGAT fans, as there's a huge Saudi presence in that tour. The shotgun start is a non-issue; the huge prizes, even for last place, are pretty irrelevant to all but participants and the 3 rounds are simply another USP, though it clashes with OWGR accreditation! But the old 'any publicity is good publicity' concept applies!

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
D

Deleted member 21445

All seems a pointless argument after watching The Full Swing today.
DJ seems very content on the Liv Tour.
"I want to play less and earn more" and he does play less unlike some of the others who said the same thing.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
@doublebogey7 Your post 10273 is unquotable - probably because the emboldening has gone into the end-quote tag! But to reply...There aren't really competing tours elsewhere! PGAT sees LIV as competition and has taken steps to protect position. Norman has had some sort of gripe with (even hatred of) PGAT for ages, so is happy to have the opportunity to stick a dagger in to it! and the resultant publicity is a positive! I can't see why the 2 can't at least co-exist, even if players can't play both.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
All seems a pointless argument after watching The Full Swing today.
DJ seems very content on the Liv Tour.
"I want to play less and earn more" and he does play less unlike some of the others who said the same thing.
And if he has to stop playing completely, his wife is certainly able to support him!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

The IPL seems to work around International cricket and club cricket well enough? The players are contracted to a team, play for said team in the competition and then go back to their other jobs afterwards.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not really, had DJ been able to show he could have met the obligations of membership, their is nothing in that article that suggests he could not have re-joined. All a very mute point though, as I am sure DJ has no desire to go back to the PGAT.

There's also nothing in the article which states how he can work his way back.

The bans are currently indefinite. DPWT at least put a time line of X amount of events for their bans, PGA tour did no such thing - just a flat ban.

D

Deleted member 15344

The IPL seems to work around International cricket and club cricket well enough? The players are contracted to a team, play for said team in the competition and then go back to their other jobs afterwards.

The IPL is run by the Indian Cricket board and it took a while for some countries etc to release players

For a more appropriate comparison maybe the ICL is one to use , that was a private funded cricket league that didn’t have releases etc

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The IPL is run by the Indian Cricket board and it took a while for some countries etc to release players

For a more appropriate comparison maybe the ICL is one to use , that was a private funded cricket league that didn’t have releases etc

Why does the funding source matter when comparing? Why is the source of funding okay for the LPGA and not PGA? The IPL model is very alike LIV.

The IPL is a great example of how it could work in the future. Hopefully PGA Tour agrees to release players in the future

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
@doublebogey7 Your post 10273 is unquotable - probably because the emboldening has gone into the end-quote tag! But to reply...There aren't really competing tours elsewhere! PGAT sees LIV as competition and has taken steps to protect position. Norman has had some sort of gripe with (even hatred of) PGAT for ages, so is happy to have the opportunity to stick a dagger in to it! and the resultant publicity is a positive! I can't see why the 2 can't at least co-exist, even if players can't play both.

Both tours do co-exist, just not amicably but then that was never going to the case, no different in any other sport or business. Personally as a fan I prefer to see all the top players competing against each other as regularly as possible, so would prefer to not have competing tours.

PS I've now amended my unquatable post, thanks.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

That all sounds nice and rosey but it is simply not possible. Without the rules around contracts/membership both these organisations simply could not exist.

Can you name another successful sport that operates in that way.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why does the funding source matter when comparing? Why is the source of funding okay for the LPGA and not PGA? The IPL model is very alike LIV.

The IPL is a great example of how it could work in the future. Hopefully PGA Tour agrees to release players in the future

🤦‍♂️

The IPL is run by the Indian Cricket board - it’s a competition that’s affiliated to an official cricketing board - hence why it could arrange releases with other cricket authorities and even then that took its time

The ICL is the exact same as LIV - it’s private owned and run , it has no links to any other golfing body.

Who said anything about the source of money being ok for LPGA etc etc