LIV Golf

D

Deleted member 1147

Don't really know why that's a good thing, but it doesn't make any difference for DJ in the slightest anyway :ROFLMAO:
Not until his exemptions run out from the Masters victory. After that he'll have to qualify for the USPGA and The Open via different routes.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not until his exemptions run out from the Masters victory. After that he'll have to qualify for the USPGA and The Open via different routes.

Or win another!

Of all the LIV players - DJ is the one who seems the least bothered by any of this. He's not chasing OWGR points or making big statements, wouldn't surprise me if he was happy just playing LIV and the masters in a couple of years time.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
The thing with DJ is he couldn’t care less, he’s his own person and does what’s right for himself and his family regardless of what others think.(In my opinion obviously), he knows he’s a top player, will be interesting to see if the odds for him winning the Masters reflect his world ranking.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
Clearly, DJ isn't that bothered about golf, which is fair enough. The LIV crew is going to suffer in the majors in the future, as it only takes an average of 1 or 1/2 a stroke per round to completely change outcomes, and the LIV players won't be up to scratch after years away from a real tour. However, they probably don't care as they've made enough money to retire happily.

I heard a good analogy on a podcast the other day: The LIV players sold their businesses. While they're still playing, their competitive careers are effectively over. This makes complete sense for the older players or the players slipping down in the rankings. Why wouldn't Mickelson sell his business to a bidder willing to pay him much more than his stock is actually worth? Smart move by most involved (from the players' perspective).

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
The thing with DJ is he couldn’t care less, he’s his own person and does what’s right for himself and his family regardless of what others think.(In my opinion obviously), he knows he’s a top player, will be interesting to see if the odds for him winning the Masters reflect his world ranking.

One thing is for sure, I’ll be sticking some money on him at the Masters.

D

Deleted member 1147

I know DJ seems not to care that much, but i find it hard to believe that someone who must have been so dedicated for so long doesn't (or barely) care about the rest of his career.

The hours of play, practice, fitness work, rehab etc to get to the very top suggests he cares an awful lot.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I know DJ seems not to care that much, but i find it hard to believe that someone who must have been so dedicated for so long doesn't (or barely) care about the rest of his career.

The hours of play, practice, fitness work, rehab etc to get to the very top suggests he cares an awful lot.

Its an interesting one, I don't think he doesn't care at all - as you say, years grinding to be at the very top level suggests strongly otherwise - I just don't think he's too fussed about what happens post-exemption yet.

For now his world ranking position is literally pointless and means nothing - it doesn't reflect how good he is and he will know that.

We all know his ability, if he hits a good patch of form he can easily work his way back into the top 50 if LIV players are ever allowed back on tour and if not - well he's earning more than any golfer on the planet so its not too bad of a deal for him.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

But does he care about golf, a legacy and purely simply money. I suspect the latter in DJ's case which I have no problem at all with. At least he's being honest about it all unlike those that claim its about growing the game, more time with their families etc, and crying because they can't get OWGR points.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
But does he care about golf, a legacy and purely simply money. I suspect the latter in DJ's case which I have no problem at all with. At least he's being honest about it all unlike those that claim its about growing the game, more time with their families etc, and crying because they can't get OWGR points.

Well he isn't crying about OWGR but he did cry when he won the Masters - so its not all about money with DJ. (But man does he have a truck load of it)

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Its an interesting one, I don't think he doesn't care at all - as you say, years grinding to be at the very top level suggests strongly otherwise - I just don't think he's too fussed about what happens post-exemption yet.

For now his world ranking position is literally pointless and means nothing - it doesn't reflect how good he is and he will know that.

We all know his ability, if he hits a good patch of form he can easily work his way back into the top 50 if LIV players are ever allowed back on tour and if not - well he's earning more than any golfer on the planet so its not too bad of a deal for him.

Indeed it is an interesting one, I always got the impression with DJ that the game itself wasn't that important to him, but that he needed it to make money. I've also felt that he would retire early regardless, so I don't expect him to go back to the PGAT regardless of how he court case goes next year. If fact don't be surprised if he disappears from view once his current contract with LiV expires.

D

Deleted member 21445

All the Liv guys want to win when they tee it up....

They want to probably win even more when they are teeing it up in a non Liv Event to validate their own tour.
A major win for DJ or Cam Smith would obviously massively validate the Liv tour but even having players in the mix will also do this.

Most of the time they have teed it up in non Liv Events, Liv players are featuring at the top of the leaderboards and have won events..

D

Deleted member 21445

Interesting Quote from respected golf journo Alan Shipnuck on his latest podcast.

"Keith Pelley is saying the right things but goes to bed every night praying the DP World Tour lose the current court case, Liv guys being able to play DP World Tour events will be a tremendous turn of events for a tour that has been in decline and bleeding stars for a decade "

AddisonRoad

Visit site

They want to probably win even more when they are teeing it up in a non Liv Event to validate their own tour.
A major win for DJ or Cam Smith would obviously massively validate the Liv tour but even having players in the mix will also do this.

Most of the time they have teed it up in non Liv Events, Liv players are featuring at the top of the leaderboards and have won events..

I don't doubt they want to win — and you're right, LIV players have been featured at the top of the leaderboards in recent events. But I have no doubt a few years in obscurity coupled with guaranteed money will eventually weigh on performances. People just don't realize how few people will actually watch LIV — and recent decisions to host the final in Saudi etc. will only propel it further to the fringe of people's minds.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

DJ or Cam Smith winning a major wouldnt validate the Liv tour whatsoever. They are world class golfers, both in most peoples Top 10. It wouldnt be a shock to anyone if they won one this year.

Liv would probably prefer an Abraham Ancer or Joaquin Neimann win - players still on the up when the left the PGA but not at the very top - beefs up their case for more of their players to get an alternative (Liv based) route into the majors.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don't doubt they want to win — and you're right, LIV players have been featured at the top of the leaderboards in recent events. But I have no doubt a few years in obscurity coupled with guaranteed money will eventually weigh on performances. People just don't realize how few people will actually watch LIV — and recent decisions to host the final in Saudi etc. will only propel it further to the fringe of people's minds.

This is simply all personal opinion.

Me and my friends do watch and enjoy LIV.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
DJ or Cam Smith winning a major wouldnt validate the Liv tour whatsoever. They are world class golfers, both in most peoples Top 10. It wouldnt be a shock to anyone if they won one this year.

Liv would probably prefer an Abraham Ancer or Joaquin Neimann win - players still on the up when the left the PGA but not at the very top - beefs up their case for more of their players to get an alternative (Liv based) route into the majors.

I agree, the only thing it validates is that the people saying LIV golfers will struggle over 4 days are clutching at straws :ROFLMAO:

Really what could validate LIV would be OWGR points, even more major winners signing contracts and changing the name of Bubba's team :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
Only for the already (relatively) mediocre ones. The top half a dozen or so will still likely be competitive as it's in their nature. I don't see the venue for the final affecting folks thoughts all that much. Though it provides more focus for anti-LIV folk to criticise it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Markets already formed and hes in the top 10 in the betting (anywhere between 16/1 and 28/1), dont expect to be seeing any massive prices for DJ at Augusta sadly