LIV Golf

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
If only they could find some new points to argue over

Why do that when you can recycle the same argument for 457 pages?

Its silly really, people have now made their minds up one way or another and don't change them.

I for one care not one bit about 90% of it. Id just like to see the worlds best players at the majors - everything else can stay as it is!

AussieKB

Visit site
Comment from Mark Leishman

Critics of Saudia Arabia's human rights record and vocal opposition of the LIV Tour from world No.1 Rory McIlroy has meant Leishman has copped his share of abuse on social media.

"But nothing face-to-face; it's been amazing here," Leishman, whose caddie Matt Kelly wore a LIV Golf hat throughout the tournament, said.

"It's just social media ... there's no consequences for what's said there, so I don't take much from that.

I suppose us keyboard warriors could take a lesson or two, I'm off to my local petrol station to tell them I am only going to buy non Saudi petrol.....there I've made a stand....:ROFLMAO:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Comment from Mark Leishman

Critics of Saudia Arabia's human rights record and vocal opposition of the LIV Tour from world No.1 Rory McIlroy has meant Leishman has copped his share of abuse on social media.

"But nothing face-to-face; it's been amazing here," Leishman, whose caddie Matt Kelly wore a LIV Golf hat throughout the tournament, said.

"It's just social media ... there's no consequences for what's said there, so I don't take much from that.

I suppose us keyboard warriors could take a lesson or two, I'm off to my local petrol station to tell them I am only going to buy non Saudi petrol.....there I've made a stand....:ROFLMAO:

Strawman really.

Its the deterioration to golf as entertainment that is the real cause of the lack of welcome for LIVs arrival. Though thankfully a fading risk. The PGAT centre seems to have held out against it.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Afraid the OWGR debate isn't going away... :eek:
Extract from the article:
" my recommendation is for OWGR to remain in place, but to consist of just the four bodies that host the majors: the Masters; the PGA of America; the US Open and the Open. No professional tours — zero, none, zilch — would have a seat at the table. The four majors alone will determine eligibility for the majors. And among the Big Four, each of the majors will be entitled to include special exemptions of their own choosing. For example, amateurs in the Masters and the two Opens, club pros in the PGA Championship. "
Might be an option to calm it all down.:unsure:

https://golfdigestme.com/is-it-time-to-abolish-the-world-ranking/

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The genie is out of the bottle, get used to it, World Golf has changed for better or worse.
I think the genie is still stuck in the bottle. LIV has not levered the worlds best. Thats why I mentioned Smith looking marooned. He will be a very wealthy man. But wont be playing credible golf tournaments, but he is entitled to his choice. The risk for LIV now, with the closing of the ranks on the PGAT, is that it fizzles out completely.
A 54 man tournament structure has merit if it has the worlds best 54. Or even a majority of the worlds best. But is meaningless if not, which is where it 8s at the moment.

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Afraid the OWGR debate isn't going away... :eek:
Extract from the article:
" my recommendation is for OWGR to remain in place, but to consist of just the four bodies that host the majors: the Masters; the PGA of America; the US Open and the Open. No professional tours — zero, none, zilch — would have a seat at the table. The four majors alone will determine eligibility for the majors. And among the Big Four, each of the majors will be entitled to include special exemptions of their own choosing. For example, amateurs in the Masters and the two Opens, club pros in the PGA Championship. "
Might be an option to calm it all down.:unsure:

https://golfdigestme.com/is-it-time-to-abolish-the-world-ranking/

Not a bad idea.

The simplest way to do it in my mind is money lists.

PGAT Money list (maybe to include PIP payments so the biggest stars still play) - about 30 players to the Masters but more to the others.
LIV Money list down to maybe 8 players (to exclude team payments)

All previous major champs qualify automatically for 20 years or something (plus the obvious exemptions already in place)

Otherwise stick to your tour/ tours as they are now.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
The genie is out of the bottle, get used to it, World Golf has changed for better or worse.

unless they start making money and can fund themselves then there become a time when the PIF will pull the plug

as far as I can see they are a long way from being self funded and PIF have sunk over $2,000,000,000 already with nothing on the horizon that they will get anything back from it

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
unless they start making money and can fund themselves then there become a time when the PIF will pull the plug

as far as I can see they are a long way from being self funded and PIF have sunk over $2,000,000,000 already with nothing on the horizon that they will get anything back from it

I thought the whole accusation was that they are sports washing, it certainly was at the start of this thread, surely a profit isn't too important if that's the case?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I thought the whole accusation was that they are sports washing, it certainly was at the start of this thread, surely a profit isn't too important if that's the case?
Not at the moment it isn't....but another 5 or 6 years down the line are they still going to want to plough billions into something that doesn't give them anything back.?
I know the pit is fairly bottomless but they must have a limit to what they're prepared to "lose"

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the genie is still stuck in the bottle. LIV has levered the worlds best. Thats why I mentioned Smith looking marooned. He will be a very wealthy man. But wont be playing credible golf tournaments, but he is entitled to his choice. The risk for LIV now, with the closing of the ranks on the PGAT, is that it fizzles out completely.
A 54 man tournament structure has merit if it has the worlds best 54. Or even a majority of the worlds best. But is meaningless if not, which is where it 8s at the moment.

I may end up being wrong but I think if LIV doesnt get a big TV deal and take off properly with viewing figures if may wrap up in a year or two.
I'd say the players know that too and the ones that went have been willing to take the risk to fill their bank accounts while they can. The older players like poulter, Stenson and phil. A last money grab if u will.
Cam and Bryson taking huge pay checks to sign. If its only a few years they could easily be knocking on the door of the PGA looking back in if it all closes down. How long can they keep them out in the cold. A year? I'd say it was a calculated risk they were willing to take.
The never will bes like Perez and leisman are happy to make hay while it shines.

The TV deal is big as that's where this tour is supposed to make an income. Still no sign of it even now.
The YouTube viewing figures have been abysmal. All these kids they were supposed to be attracting from this giant pool haven't materialised.
They put on the LIV events on weeks that were quiet on the PGA. The viewers were likely older golf fans eager to see golf from their old favourite players. I include myself in this category. I watched quite a bit of LIV to see some of my old favourite players play.

I predict 2 years to get the viewing figures sorted out or they may wrap it up. Maybe the saudis are happy to pump money into a black hole for minimal gains. It remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of things need to happen for LIV tour to become viable long term

Finances - it needs to be sustainable , they can’t afford to just pay out millions each year , they need sponsers and a huge Telly deal - both of which seem to be non existent at the moment

evemccc

Visit site
Is the huge increase in PGA Tour winnings viable long term? If so, how are supporters of the PGAT so confident…why wasn’t such money available before?

Is PIP viable long-term? It’s purely a slush-fund…and the way money was syphoned off to Matsuyama was laughable / ludicrous and the lack of criticism and scrutiny of this by the supposedly serious golf media (looking at you Iain Carter) has been abject

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Is the huge increase in PGA Tour winnings viable long term? If so, how are supporters of the PGAT so confident…why wasn’t such money available before?

Is PIP viable long-term? It’s purely a slush-fund…and the way money was syphoned off to Matsuyama was laughable / ludicrous and the lack of criticism and scrutiny of this by the supposedly serious golf media (looking at you Iain Carter) has been abject

PIP does make me laugh, its just cash for the boys! :ROFLMAO:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

I think with the current economics of the world, nothing is secure. PGAT have lost a long term sponsor - they now need to be replaced.
LIV will get sponsors onboard, the Saudis have their fingers in so many pies, it’s inevitable.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes it’s very much viable when the tour makes a huge profit each season

Every event has a lot of sponsers, they have multiple Telly deals all over the world - add in the likes of Fed Ex paying a lot of money

The Tour is very much beyond sustainable