LIV Golf

AussieKB

Visit site
From dead in the water to this......he has changed his tune.

World number one Rory McIlroy is urging that the PGA Tour and LIV Golf come to a compromise before golf’s biggest divide affects the future of the sport.
“I believe there is no more time to waste… PGA Tour and LIV will have to find a compromise and speak for the sake of our sport,” McIlroy told Italian publication Golf & Turismo, via National Club Golfer.

Ian_George

Visit site
From dead in the water to this......he has changed his tune.

World number one Rory McIlroy is urging that the PGA Tour and LIV Golf come to a compromise before golf’s biggest divide affects the future of the sport.
“I believe there is no more time to waste… PGA Tour and LIV will have to find a compromise and speak for the sake of our sport,” McIlroy told Italian publication Golf & Turismo, via National Club Golfer.
Old 'news'! This article was before the Trump Doval event! https://www.si.com/golf/news/rory-m...ur-feud-has-gotten-way-out-of-control-already

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
What's the relevance to LIV?
For me personally it will mean in the near term me watching far fewer hours of PGAT & DPWT ?, subject to what happens in 2023 could mean as a % of golf watched, LIV increases. Across the globe that might play out, times xx

If you were asking for speculation I'll have a go, in approx probability order -
PGAT has decided to focus more on core USA market
PGAT needs to boost income to pay for promises and thinks more tv deals are better option than streaming
Operator was trying to renegotiate deal due to reduced fields, audience, and reduced 'Tiger, life on tour' content
Operator is doing a deal with 'another tour' & compromise couldn't be reached.

Reality may come out in coming days ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Everything depends on players though. Can the Saudis poach more of them. The field they have is unarguably significantly weaker than the top PGAT events. Its a no contest, that a LIV win is worth a fraction of a pgat one. Maybe a quarter, if we were talking owgr type points weighting, or similar to a Kornferry. The medium will not matter if they cannot improve that. They need another 10 or so of the owgr top 40 as it was before it froze a couple of months ago. And not players on the way down, or Champions tour material.
Thats the key. And in the last few months, they havent gained any. Unless there are more jumpers known behind the scenes, the pgats best move now is to sit things out. What LIV has of today is no threat. If it can maintain the status quo, LIV will fade away. I dont think its goal was to be a pre-champions tour exhibition type circus with razmataz. It wanted to be a grown up golf tour. As a business, that failure will prompt Saudi to pull the plug at some point.

Ian_George

Visit site
Everything depends on players though. Can the Saudis poach more of them. The field they have is unarguably significantly weaker than the top PGAT events. Its a no contest, that a LIV win is worth a fraction of a pgat one. Maybe a quarter, if we were talking owgr type points weighting, or similar to a Kornferry. The medium will not matter if they cannot improve that. They need another 10 or so of the owgr top 40 as it was before it froze a couple of months ago. And not players on the way down, or Champions tour material.
Thats the key. And in the last few months, they havent gained any. Unless there are more jumpers known behind the scenes, the pgats best move now is to sit things out. What LIV has of today is no threat. If it can maintain the status quo, LIV will fade away. I dont think its goal was to be a pre-champions tour exhibition type circus with razmataz. It wanted to be a grown up golf tour. As a business, that failure will prompt Saudi to pull the plug at some point.
I don't believe it'll be within the next year though! An in that time, I believe LIV will have matured quite a bit. Whether that simply turns out to be 'aged', I'm not certain. If it does, then I can't see it going anywhere and it will fade as, to live, it needs publicity - doesn't really matter whether positive or negative. So I don't see it complying with OWGR requirements...the controversy generates publicity!

Harley-D

Visit site
Just a thought. Liv has completely passed me by. I don’t know what events have happened or who has played in them. The two tours I record and watch every week do not seem to be weakened and I don’t miss any of the “missing” players.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yes, it needs publicity, but of a sporting nature now. Up to now, apart from an effectively insignificantly small group, LIV has only had publicity due to its contest with the pgat, controversy with undesirable Saudis, and a well polished but fake, rumour mill of recruits. That has run its course now. It needs proper, credible, sporting interest to succeed. And at the moment it is making no progress on that. If it werent backed by bottomless oil money sovereign funds, and with a sportswashing rather than either true sporting, or true business, motivation, it would already have folded.

Ian_George

Visit site
Yes, it needs publicity, but of a sporting nature now. Up to now, apart from an effectively insignificantly small group, LIV has only had publicity due to its contest with the pgat, controversy with undesirable Saudis, and a well polished but fake, rumour mill of recruits. That has run its course now. It needs proper, credible, sporting interest to succeed. And at the moment it is making no progress on that. If it werent backed by bottomless oil money sovereign funds, and with a sportswashing rather than either true sporting, or true business, motivation, it would already have folded.
To me, the main publicity will continue to be the vast amounts of money being paid to participants. The golf isn't anything sparkling and the presentation is definitely not to my, perhaps conservative, old-fashioned taste - though the cost is certainly a positive! I'd disagree with your 'insignificantly small group' comment but that's a matter of opinion. The PGAT obviously still see it as a threat! I don't believe the OWGR issue will be settled, as continuing that issue will provide publicity, something I believe is actively sought, irrespective of whether positive or negative - thus the number of LIV accounts (currently) on Twitter!

I still can't understand the logic of the Saudis funding it! Unlike Newcastle FC, there is seemingly no return on investment and I can't see how they can recover the huge funding cost! It may be 'small change' to them but they are not profligate investors! Their (and LIV's) long term strategy might become clearer next year!

evemccc

Visit site

But by and large that is precisely what drives the Premier League and the media-reporting of modern day football

Transfer sagas, mindless speculation, media and fan outrage (real and manufactured) > media reporting of actual football
It’s close to being a soap opera / pantomime

And it’s precisely that that will help the team element of LIV…’IF’ they can get a couple more big name players to go over and ‘IF’ they work out the team aspect properly…a transfer market and media speculation / gossip is what will drive reporting on it…as it goes with football

Ian_George

Visit site
But by and large that is precisely what drives the Premier League and the media-reporting of modern day football

Transfer sagas, mindless speculation, media and fan outrage (real and manufactured) > media reporting of actual football
It’s close to being a soap opera / pantomime

And it’s precisely that that will help the team element of LIV…’IF’ they can get a couple more big name players to go over and ‘IF’ they work out the team aspect properly…a transfer market and media speculation / gossip is what will drive reporting on it…as it goes with football
The gossip only fills in the gaps between games! It's the on-field performance against equally determined opposition that really drives the PL! I don't believe comparing a Golf Tour to a Football is a valid comparison - even simply the between game chatter!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thats not the case at all. There is certainly reporting and interest in those elements, but the majority is the real sport. It is driven by the games, performances, and progress in the leagues and cups. In any case, LIV is even worse than that. The interest can only be short term in the contest between the establishment and a usurper. Its a time limited thing, whatever the outcome.

And the fact that interest in the golf in itself is nil, certainly indicates LIV is going nowhere without a big number of key signings.

The audience, such that it is, for the golf itself, has more than a touch of the interest in a dancing dog - it isnt for how well it dances, rather, that it is dancing at all.

evemccc

Visit site
Don’t underestimate the power (and column-inches..and the internet equivalent) of mindless speculation..

Why do you think this thread has such engagement?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Are people really saying that the speculation and off field activity in the premier league isn't a huge part of what holds people interest? That's the essence of football and what makes it so attractive, the hope, the anticipation.

Jeez Oh - as my non existent bi-polar Glasweigian other me would say.

Ian_George

Visit site
Are people really saying that the speculation and off field activity in the premier league isn't a huge part of what holds people interest? That's the essence of football and what makes it so attractive, the hope, the anticipation.

Jeez Oh - as my non existent bi-polar Glasweigian other me would say.
Are you really attempting to compare followers of golf - whether LIV, PGAT or any other - with football fans?
Jeez Oh - as your non existent bi-polar Glaswegian other you would say!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yes, people are really saying that. What holds people's interest is the sport, not the peripheral soap. LIV is soap alone, and that is the point - if true sport doesnt start soon, the soap alone isnt enough, even if we have bad guys, dodgy money, dark deeds, big talk personalities to boo or cheer, and the fabulously wealthy. The only interest so far has been in LIV the contender to the PGAT, not the golf played on LIV. And that is unsustainable. As mentioned, witness this thread - it is about the LIV v PGAT contest, not golf on LIV. The PGAT is where the golf still is. And even the leaks, rumours, and dramatic unveilings seems to have come to a halt. When announcing an unremarkable and unknown to the general world, course, as the location for one Saudi event constitutes news, then even the peripheral circus has become rather dull.

D

Deleted member 21445

Agree the top PGAT events like LA Open, Memorial, Bay Hill etc have stronger fields.when all the big names play.

The rest though (Majority) have weaker fields than Liv events.

One of Livs strengths is that their strongest field with ALL their best players play in every event.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Agree the top PGAT events like LA Open, Memorial, Bay Hill etc have stronger fields.when all the big names play.

The rest though (Majority) have weaker fields than Liv events.

One of Livs strengths is that their strongest field with ALL their best players play in every event.

Thats an academic point really. 100% of fields being weak, while they might be their strongest, is still 100% of tournaments have weak fields.
It cannot be levelled at the PGAT that all tournaments do not have all their top players. They still have more tournaments, where fields are uncontestably vastly superior to all LIV tournaments, some that are about the same, some that may be inferior. But offering a weaker tournament some weeks is not to the detriment of the strong weeks, and surely, still beats no tournament at all ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Are you really attempting to compare followers of golf - whether LIV, PGAT or any other - with football fans?
Jeez Oh - as your non existent bi-polar Glaswegian other you would say!
Lol. I don’t know who you are, or where you’re from, but if you want to discredit your own opinions, keep on posting this kind of nonsense.