LIV Golf

cleveland52

Visit site
Investigating ain't the same as suing though is it! And even suing doesn't mean there's actual real 'damage' involved!

Limiting LIV players simply because LIV is a distraction can only go so far! DPWT may have exceeded legal boundaries with their approach, though I'm sure they would have taken legal advice about it.
Didn't the R&A do that to Greg N.?

cleveland52

Visit site
Nobody is suing 'the Majors'. But, injunction notwithstanding, the Tours involved are excluding LIV players as much as possible!
"LIV's civil suit alleges that Augusta National played a prominent role in trying to prevent playrs from leaving the pgatour"

LIV golf prompted the antitrust suit as well if I'm not mistaken. So, why wouldn't ANGC ban all Liv players until the completion of all legal action if they choose to do so?

AussieKB

Visit site
"LIV's civil suit alleges that Augusta National played a prominent role in trying to prevent playrs from leaving the pgatour"

LIV golf prompted the antitrust suit as well if I'm not mistaken. So, why wouldn't ANGC ban all Liv players until the completion of all legal action if they choose to do so?
A bit like going back in time where they banned all black people except for carrying the clubs in white overalls.

Ian_George

Visit site
What the suit alleges and what actually happened are not necessarily identical!
Assuming you meant 'promoted', that was later, at which time all but 3 of the players dropped their individual ones, stating LIV's action duplicated theirs, so their action was not needed.
As for Augusta banning LIV players, the question really should be 'Why would they ban all LIV players. . . .'. Your question is just speculation!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Remember, Rory said this year "It's dead in the water" with regards to LIV, when clearly, it wasn't. There would most definitley have been messages, emails and conversations going around that were trying to eliminate the LIV series and prevent players from having their heads turned. There's absolutley no reason to believe that AGNC, or their representatives might not have been involved in those conversations, and tried to influence players.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
A bit like going back in time where they banned all black people except for carrying the clubs in white overalls.

This comment has nothing to do with the current situation, I think the point you are trying to make is that Augusta has its own set of rules and if they decide not to invite players involved in litigation, that is their prerogative.

Ian_George

Visit site
Remember, Rory said this year "It's dead in the water" with regards to LIV, when clearly, it wasn't. There would most definitley have been messages, emails and conversations going around that were trying to eliminate the LIV series and prevent players from having their heads turned. There's absolutley no reason to believe that AGNC, or their representatives might not have been involved in those conversations, and tried to influence players.
What has an investment company got to do with The Masters! But assuming you mean ANGC, until here's actual evidence that ANGC will prevent qualifying LIV players from participating, any comments that anyone might make are pure speculation come LIV style 'disruption'! ANGC MIGHT do many things, but I'm convinced that it won't disinvite any LIV plyers that qualify via its published criteria!

Last edited:

Ian_George

Visit site
While doing a bit of research for a previous post, I checked this year's PGA Championship date and participants. I had to smile at the large number of (now) LIV players who missed the cut! :LOL: Also, this article https://www.golfdigest.com/story/saudi-golf-league-2022-primer corrects my previous thought wrt LIV players eligibility for the PGA Championship. Seth Waugh has stated that those players that defect to LIV will not be allowed in future PGA Championships.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Remember, Rory said this year "It's dead in the water" with regards to LIV, when clearly, it wasn't.

That was a fair assessment from Rory based on what players were saying publicly, or amongst themselves, at the time. But many were being duplicitous, and that led to the subsequent bitterness from Rory and others, when the pledges to the pgat were shown to be false.Saying to each other they were staying, while simultaneously negotiating their Saudi deal. It wasnt moving to LIV in itself that led to the bad feeling that now exists between some players. It was the lying to each other.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That was a fair assessment based on what players were saying publicly, or amongst themselves, at the time. But many were being duplicitous, and that led to the subsequent bitterness from Rory and others, when the pledges to the pgat were shown to be false. It wasnt moving to LIV in itself that led to the bad feeling that now exists between some players. It was the lying to each other.

Didnt a lot of them also want to continue playing on the pga tour along with liv.

That definitely caused a lot of resentment.

D

Deleted member 21445

We know Rory has a huge influence on the PGA Tour, we saw that with the Delaware meeting and the PGAT immediately made changes with elevated events and founf an extra 200 million dollars.

His stance has really changed recently and its been in multiple interviews now.
I also think he knows (inside knowledge) of more PGAT players that are looking like they may go.

"Rory says PGAT & Liv have to find a compromise"
https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/pga-tour-and-liv-will-have-to-find-a-compromise-rory-mcilroy

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We know Rory has a huge influence on the PGA Tour, we saw that with the Delaware meeting and the PGAT immediately made changes with elevated events and founf an extra 200 million dollars.

His stance has really changed recently and its been in multiple interviews now.
I also think he knows (inside knowledge) of more PGAT players that are looking like they may go.

"Rory says PGAT & Liv have to find a compromise"
https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/pga-tour-and-liv-will-have-to-find-a-compromise-rory-mcilroy

I'd imagine Rory is now seeing the reality that LIV is here to stay, and questioning why he should be in a position where he or his fellow pros have to miss out on it?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I'd imagine Rory is now seeing the reality that LIV is here to stay, and questioning why he should be in a position where he or his fellow pros have to miss out on it?

Really ? I don’t see Rory joining ever, it would be an incredible U turn and given his previous comments a massive climb down.

Agree his tone has moderated slightly, but you are spinning big time here.

With regard to LIV being here to stay, they have probably 18 months to start gaining a substantial income stream coz the Saudis will want to see some return on their investment, if they decide to pull the funding then LIV is definitely not here to stay.

cleveland52

Visit site
What the suit alleges and what actually happened are not necessarily identical!

Assuming you meant 'promoted', that was later, at which time all but 3 of the players dropped their individual ones, stating LIV's action duplicated theirs, so their action was not needed.
As for Augusta banning LIV players, the question really should be 'Why would they ban all LIV players. . . .'. Your question is just speculation!
I know it was speculation. I was asked a question and I answered it.