LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I struggle to understand how people don't understand the LIV players brought it on themselves; no one forced them to go. They're like people who buy a house near an airport because it's cheap and then try to get the airport shut because of the noise of the planes; do your homework & see what you're jumping into, don't just look at the money.
It more a case of : people who buy a house near an airport being banned from using the airport, with the airport justifying the position as being based on evidence that people living near airports are more likely to complain about noise, so people living near airports shouldn't be facilitated by the airport.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Except that's exactly what will prevent LIV from getting OWGR accreditation, so it does matter! And there are good reasons why! There's no reason - except ego or deliberate policy - why LIV can't comply with OWGR and continue with the current format as their main style.
Because then it wouldnt be LIVs differentiating schtick. Now, I think is rubbish too, but a golfer doesnt become a bad one because he plays 54 holes instead of 72. The rules were written by those with a 72 hole perspective (like Flatland, by A Square). I would suggest to them, that they give auto qualification to the top 5 LIV golfers otherwise not qualifying. To revised if/as more defect. If 20 more of the current world top 30 jumped, then I would just say let in all 54, to ensure the majors remain relevant, and not tainted by substandard fields.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The 3 round/no cut tours that get points are development tours where there is a distinct upward path to join bigger tours.
What's the step up from LIV?
And don't say the Korn Ferry :ROFLMAO:
Wait, what, if only someone had posted that in the last 8 thousand posts!
Would be a terrific answer if the question was "when has historically owgr given out points if...".
But if course it wasn't.
Still well done ? ?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
It more a case of : people who buy a house near an airport being banned from using the airport, with the airport justifying the position as being based on evidence that people living near airports are more likely to complain about noise, so people living near airports shouldn't be facilitated by the airport.

No, no it really is nothing like that example

Ian_George

Visit site
What's the step up from LIV?
And don't say the Korn Ferry :ROFLMAO:
OK....The Champions Tour! :rolleyes: Perhaps a p-take reply, so not a 'step up' but I only see retirement as the next move for all but a couple of LIV players.
The OWGR rules are to 'assure consistency' of points allocation, therefore the ratings, across all Tours. LIV's format clashes with that!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the things that is annoying me most about LIV is all the talk about how the caddies are being treated better, getting their expenses paid, getting a guaranteed income etc and how that never happened on the PGA tour. The caddies were, and I assume still are, employees of the golfer not the LIV/PGA tour and so it was the responsibility of the players to treat the caddies appropriately. Dustin Johnson's brother has talked about Pat Perez's caddie and how for several years he barely broke even and that's disgusting within a big corporation such as the PGA tour, but now due to LIV it's much better. Surely he should be bringing that up with Perez who was the one responsible for how his caddie was treated.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
OK....The Champions Tour! :rolleyes: Perhaps a p-take reply, so not a 'step up' but I only see retirement as the next move for all but a couple of LIV players.
The OWGR rules are to 'assure consistency' of points allocation, therefore the ratings, across all Tours. LIV's format clashes with that!

Which two players do you not see for retirement, out of curiosity?
If the rest are….

Ian_George

Visit site
One of the things that is annoying me most about LIV is all the talk about how the caddies are being treated better, getting their expenses paid, getting a guaranteed income etc and how that never happened on the PGA tour. The caddies were, and I assume still are, employees of the golfer not the LIV/PGA tour and so it was the responsibility of the players to treat the caddies appropriately. Dustin Johnson's brother has talked about Pat Perez's caddie and how for several years he barely broke even and that's disgusting within a big corporation such as the PGA tour, but now due to LIV it's much better. Surely he should be bringing that up with Perez who was the one responsible for how his caddie was treated.
I certainly agree with the last sentence! Depending on what the deal with their player was - traditionally enough to cover expenses plus 10% of winnings for 'casual' ones - LIV caddies would be earning more than many, or even most, players on DPW or even PGA Tour! But until actual payment details are released, it's all speculation as to what their deal really is.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

Caddying is little more than humping a bag. Average wage type job. Most working folk barely break even. Who do caddies think they are, the talent ?

AussieKB

Visit site
So what I gather from this is that the anti LIV or pro PGAT etc are quite happy that the Champion Golfer of the Year is refused entry to the Majors, why is that I wonder ? If LIV sign Rory (not going to happen) then everyone here would also be happy for him being banned as well, at what point do the Majors stop being Majors, how many top players need to go to LIV for that to happen.

The Majors need to be impartial, if that means they use another formula to ensure that the best Players are invited so be it.

Sorry if that upsets your boat.

D

Deleted member 29109

So what I gather from this is that the anti LIV or pro PGAT etc are quite happy that the Champion Golfer of the Year is refused entry to the Majors, why is that I wonder ? If LIV sign Rory (not going to happen) then everyone here would also be happy for him being banned as well, at what point do the Majors stop being Majors, how many top players need to go to LIV for that to happen.

The Majors need to be impartial, if that means they use another formula to ensure that the best Players are invited so be it.

Where has anyone said that those already eligible shouldn’t be allowed to play? Although it would be amusing to watch the pro LiV lot go into meltdown.

Would you care if it was someone other than an Aussie?

Ian_George

Visit site
So what I gather from this is that the anti LIV or pro PGAT etc are quite happy that the Champion Golfer of the Year is refused entry to the Majors....
As that is simply NOT THE CASE, your entire 'point' has no validity!
FWIW, I'm not anti LIV nor Pro PGAT, simply in favour of conformity to (obedience of) 'rules'! It's somewhat interesting to observe the clash of that concept with the 'anything that's legal goes' approach of the business aspect of this, particularly from LIV.

As far as I see, the Majors are impartial!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Firstly, most on here are probably neither anti LIV nor pro PGA Tour; they just want to enjoy good golf. And yes, most would like to see the best players playing in the biggest tournaments. But what most on here seem to accept is that there is a way of doing things, a set of rules to abide by and that if you step outside those rules then there are consequences. And this is where the problem lies.

LIV seem to think that they can do whatever they want and just carry on as normal. Like the spoilt rich brat at school that thinks he can do anything he wants; because Daddy’s got a bit of cash, the rules don’t apply to him. The kid that whines when he doesn’t get his own way that it’s everyone else’s fault. That kid.

If LIV stood up and accepted a bit of responsibility for the situation they have created and tried to negotiate a reasonable settlement people might have a degree of sympathy for them. But just like that spoilt brat, LIV don’t think it’s their fault for creating the situation, but everybody else’s fault for not bending over to what they want. And that is what gets most peoples’ backs up about LIV. Their attitude that they are suddenly the saviour of a sport that has survived for years without them, and would continue to if they hadn’t turned up; their belief that the world will stop turning without them.

The Majors will do what they do; if they chose to incorporate LIV players, fine; and if they choose not to so be it. Most will still watch them and enjoy them for the great tournaments they are even if LIV players aren’t present.

The sooner the LIV players realise that the sun doesn’t shine out of their ass, that the world will still revolve without them playing in Majors and accept some responsibility for the situation that their greed has created the sooner the situation is liable to be resolved. And we can all get back to watching golf.

Ian_George

Visit site
Firstly, most on here are probably neither anti LIV nor pro PGA Tour; they just want to enjoy good golf. And yes, most would like to see the best players playing in the biggest tournaments. But what most on here seem to accept is that there is a way of doing things, a set of rules to abide by and that if you step outside those rules then there are consequences. And this is where the problem lies.

LIV seem to think that they can do whatever they want and just carry on as normal. Like the spoilt rich brat at school that thinks he can do anything he wants; because Daddy’s got a bit of cash, the rules don’t apply to him. The kid that whines when he doesn’t get his own way that it’s everyone else’s fault. That kid.

If LIV stood up and accepted a bit of responsibility for the situation they have created and tried to negotiate a reasonable settlement people might have a degree of sympathy for them. But just like that spoilt brat, LIV don’t think it’s their fault for creating the situation, but everybody else’s fault for not bending over to what they want. And that is what gets most peoples’ backs up about LIV. Their attitude that they are suddenly the saviour of a sport that has survived for years without them, and would continue to if they hadn’t turned up; their belief that the world will stop turning without them.

The Majors will do what they do; if they chose to incorporate LIV players, fine; and if they choose not to so be it. Most will still watch them and enjoy them for the great tournaments they are even if LIV players aren’t present.

The sooner the LIV players realise that the sun doesn’t shine out of their ass, that the world will still revolve without them playing in Majors and accept some responsibility for the situation that their greed has created the sooner the situation is liable to be resolved. And we can all get back to watching golf.
LIV's approach is that of a 'disrupter' - for whatever reason, probably Normans long term attitude to The PGA Tour!
So LIV will continue to raise issues to keep themselves in the news. It certainly shifts focus from the occasional obscene acts of their funders!

Last edited:

AussieKB

Visit site
Where has anyone said that those already eligible shouldn’t be allowed to play? Although it would be amusing to watch the pro LiV lot go into meltdown.

Would you care if it was someone other than an Aussie?
Yes I would care, think if the Majors ban anyone because they play for LIV or another tour is crazy, can only hurt their product, and they would no longer be Majors in my Opinion.

Ian_George

Visit site
Yes I would care, think if the Majors ban anyone because they play for LIV or another tour is crazy, can only hurt their product, and they would no longer be Majors in my Opinion.
I agree! But as they haven't, and I very, vey much doubt they will (at last not for being a LIV player), I can't see any point to the post!

Swango1980

Visit site

You really need to try and stop playing the role of the victim here. It is making you think things that are not real. I haven't heard the non LIV fans asking for any bans from Majors.

Does it hurt you so much simply because Cameron Smith is involved? You sound like a big fanboy of him. If the thought of him not playing on big PGA events, or maybe struggling to qualify for Majors in the future worry you, then think about it like this: Is LIV good for the game, if this is what frustrates, angers, upsets you? Emotions you would never have had if LIV never came along. In your mind, will Majors be weakened in the future, compared to what they were Pre LIV. If so, the LIV is clearly not good for the game, if it instils all these negative emotions that were not previously there. Unless this is outweighed by the positivity you feel by seeing Cameron Smith in shorts?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
So what I gather from this is that the anti LIV or pro PGAT etc are quite happy that the Champion Golfer of the Year is refused entry to the Majors, why is that I wonder ?
Over 8,000 posts and I'll wager that you can't find one that expresses delight at any player being refused access to the Majors. If, as I think they should, entry requirements remain unchanged for the coming season, all LiV players will be able to qualify for the opens.