LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
We all love golf on here.
If not then fine don't watch, no need to comment with anything nasty.
Im enjoying it, some great golf on display on a lovely scenic golf course.

It may offer something within its own bubble. There can be a market for anything, exhibition golf included. The jury is out on LIV events, as despite the spin from proponents, spectator interest in them is minimal to nil in practice. But time will tell on that one.

But you have to consider it outside the bubble even if you think this evenings golf is enjoyable - and that is that overall, golf as a spectator sport could be the loser for the splitting of its top talent, and that is the threat. That is why people are exercised by the threat. That a 10% LIV + 90% PGAT adds up to less than existed heretofore.

evemccc

Visit site
My takeaways about LIV golf

I have enjoyed watching live golf on YouTube

I don’t care at all for much of the things that make it ‘stand out’ from standard golf comps

No-one at my club spoke about LIV golf in the clubhouse today. Nor was the PGA Tour mentioned or is it ever mentioned. In fact the only time pro-golf gets mentioned is the Open / Masters weeks.
I cannot stress this enough..amongst my golfing PP and in the clubhouse golf talk is 99% how crap we are/who’s a bandit/‘blind-leading-the-blind’ style advice to others / fancy courses we’ve played or would like to play

Overall, IMO, golf is overwhelming for playing > watching ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It may offer something within its own bubble. There can be a market for anything, exhibition golf included. The jury is out on LIV events, as despite the spin from proponents, spectator interest in them is minimal to nil in practice. But time will tell on that one.

But you have to consider it outside the bubble even if you think this evenings golf is enjoyable - and that is that overall, golf as a spectator sport could be the loser for the splitting of its top talent, and that is the threat. That is why people are exercised by the threat. That a 10% LIV + 90% PGAT adds up to less than existed heretofore.
If the internet is to believed ?, by the number of USA based boomers seeking help with streaming ?, perhaps interest is up . Real test will be when PGAT is back on the remote...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes I can’t see the issue with the PGA tour banning players who want to play on the LIV tour from playing in PGA Tour run events

It really is that simple. Players can make the choice - play on the LIV or play on the PGA

Yet I assume that you can't see the issue of double standards whereby DP World Tour players can play on both Tours?

I assume that this is only down to our home tour not posing a threat to their monopoly and Pelley does as he's told.

I personally think it's a complete shambles and should never have gotten to this stage.

Incidentally tonight's viewing on the LIV Tour has been nothing short of sensational. Long may that continue. Even simple things like the team event have been amazing with a 9 shot swing in a matter of holes.

BubbaP

Visit site
Yet I assume that you can't see the issue of double standards whereby DP World Tour players can play on both Tours?

I assume that this is only down to our home tour not posing a threat to their monopoly and Pelley does as he's told.

I personally think it's a complete shambles and should never have gotten to this stage.

Incidentally tonight's viewing on the LIV Tour has been nothing short of sensational. Long may that continue. Even simple things like the team event have been amazing with a 9 shot swing in a matter of holes.
It's the co-sanctioning that blurs things. Japan tour was okay with players dipping into liv & returning, but PGAT is holding firm on the Zozo. Like they did with Scottish Open.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
That play-off was excellent, DJ showed his class in the end.
It does look really good fun, I cant believe people don't think there is a place in the game for this type of golf.
The crowd where really involved, but it felt watching it, they aren't the usual mash potato, get in the hole on a 600 yard par 5 kind of people.
I'm not saying this type of golf should be for week in / week out, but surely children would enjoy watching that more, with that atmosphere.
I'm not really bothered about the team aspect but as a stroke play event, I really enjoyed it.
The broadcasting has some work to do, but surely that can only get better.
A lot of positives after only 4 events.

BubbaP

Visit site
Have to hand it to golf, even in these complex times.
Last week the FedEx was great. It might have been a dreary cruise for Scheffler, but instead it was great drama and the current spokesperson came through brilliantly.
Then this week, DJ was really the big 'signing' that kicked things off, a whilst he's not the run the mouth type he was still a big symbol for them. And he comes through.
Either way, personally I prefer these kind of finishes rather than player A takes lead after round 1 and finishes 10 shots clear.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
That was an awesome final round of golf..
Liv has raised its bar..
Big name players slugging it out ending with a playoff

SO GUTTED for Westwood ?

Gotta say its quite impressive what Liv have achieved to put together in just 4 tournaments.

Think the shotgun start demonstrated it's merits, particularly where Westwood was concerned. Hole 1 glowing red and he makes par down there, we're all thinking he has a chance here, then he puts his approach in the bunker on the 2nd - a relatively easy shot - which if he's put on the green, could of actually won him the tournament, but instead he's out of the play off.

The whole weekend has been a great watch but that finale was great viewing.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Shows that you can have a tight and exciting finish at any level of golf. The Canada Tour, or your own club Captains Prize. Tense finishes wont make a top tour though. That is about having the best compete against the best. As the Tiger, and Tiger v Mickelson turboboosted the PGAT 20 years ago. Or Scheffler v McIroy as a lesser, but still the current best, today. Lesser fields will never have the same draw.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watched quite a bit of LIV over the weekend and the depth of the field is definitely improving the viewer experience.

If they carry on signing at the rate, the events could be very interesting next year.

I’m definitely seeing the appeal in the more laid back approach and can see this hooking a younger audience.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played an Open yesterday. Three teams tied on 90 points. Incredible finish. We need to get these events on youTube so everyone can enjoy them :)

I also had 7 birdies, my best ever I think. The fans would love that

Was you wearing shorts and draining eagle putts, just putting my business plan into the bank but I feel this could be the deal breaker.

All jokes aside there have been endless comments made about exhibition golf, I got the impression that the top end of the field enjoyed the increased top of the table. This is without doubt something that was missing in the first couple of events