LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I was flicking between LIV and the KFT last night - KFT was abysmal - literally like watching paint dry, I only had it on cos Sophie Walker etc were reviewing swings on the show and she'd asked for some details of the lad after I'd linked a video on Twitter.

No crowds, no action,not one player I'd recognise (obviously)

"Golf, but Beiger"

Stick LIV on and you've got some of the best golfers in the world chasing each other shot by shot, and some of those shots were spectacular by the way.

Even got Bubba interviewing guys out on the course, the whole viewing experience is engaging.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Countries do bad stuff. Thats the world. Thats people.

We just want to be entertained by top quality golf from the worlds best golfers playing against each other. LIV is threatening that. Golfwise thats the long and the short of it. No golf spectator is the better for the Saudi assault.
Thing is, wasn't Rory quite candid in reviewing how the best golfers didn't really play against each other much outside of majors - hence the proposed changes.
If, as you say, there are now two weakened tours, how do you feel about the 2023 Players Championship receiving guaranteed owgr points irrespective of actual field strength?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stick LIV on and you've got some of the best golfers in the world chasing

Thats the problem. 'Some' of the worlds best golfers. What, 9 or so of the worlds best 50 ?

KFT ??? Seriously ? Talk about comparing apples and oranges. I dont think Greg has stomping all over the KFT as his ambition.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thing is, wasn't Rory quite candid in reviewing how the best golfers didn't really play against each other much outside of majors - hence the proposed changes.
If, as you say, there are now two weakened tours, how do you feel about the 2023 Players Championship receiving guaranteed owgr points irrespective of actual field strength?
I feel neutral. OWGRs are a collateral damage casualty of this war. They cease to be relevant from about this week. But are a trivial matter really, and not part of the core issue of what goes on on the tournament golf course to entertain us. Unaltered they will just be a sort of money list for one tour of old. Useful as a ranking for that tour. But no longer a 'world' ranking. Thats why the majors will open access to a Saudi tour ranking list toppers if it establishes itself with more relevant players than it has so far.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
BTW, the golf to be watching this weekend is the Dana Open. Excellent the last couple of nights.
I wouldnt be wasting my time watching kft either btw.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thats the problem. 'Some' of the worlds best golfers. What, 9 or so of the worlds best 50 ?

KFT ??? Seriously ? Talk about comparing apples and oranges. I dont think Greg has stomping all over the KFT as his ambition.

I'm just comparing what was on at the time, and don't forget, the KFT is establishing itself as the tour behind the PGA Tour in terms of a pathway to the actual PGA Tour, rather than the DP World Tour.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm just comparing what was on at the time, and don't forget, the KFT is establishing itself as the tour behind the PGA Tour in terms of a pathway to the actual PGA Tour, rather than the DP World Tour.
Exactly. Behind the pgat. So not a valid or relevant comparison for LIVs ambition and proposition. If that is what you have to compare LiV with to have it come out on top, then I think its game over for the LIV case for itself.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
At what part is this thread political, if not the above post esp last sentence..?

In view of that, please tell me the relationship the PGA Tour have with China…I’m all ears
The PGA Tour China, I believe it’s called in its current iteration isn’t it?

Tibet, Xinjiang, Hong Kong, Taiwan I could go on for hours

Not whataboutery, merely context….

Show me the part of my post where I indicated that I have a love for the PGAT relationship with China or indeed that the PGA is perfect.

What's interesting is that you point to a minor part of my post in order to deflect but have no answer for the majority of what was said.

Oh and I think your post was "whataboutary".

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I feel neutral. OWGRs are a collateral damage casualty of this war. They cease to be relevant from about this week. But are a trivial matter really, and not part of the core issue of what goes on on the tournament golf course to entertain us. Unaltered they will just be a sort of money list for one tour of old. Useful as a ranking for that tour. But no longer a 'world' ranking. Thats why the majors will open access to a Saudi tour ranking list toppers if it establishes itself with more relevant players than it has so far.
Broadly agree, although feel the owgr has been gradually losing some relevance from June. Know players pick different schedules, for an extreme example scheffler has 55 events on record, Johnson 36

evemccc

Visit site
Show me the part of my post where I indicated that I have a love for the PGAT relationship with China or indeed that the PGA is perfect.

What's interesting is that you point to a minor part of my post in order to deflect but have no answer for the majority of what was said.

Oh and I think your post was "whataboutary".

1) It’s commonplace for people to comment on a part of a post, or a sentence of a post, and not every single thing.
2) Why do you think I ‘need’ to counter the first points you made, why do you even think I disagree with that? Or, do you think that if anyone criticises or comments on a part of your posts it must mean they disagree with everything you’ve written on the subject…?

Btw - Your last sentence is ridiculous…
Whataboutery is a trendy term mostly thrown around on Twitter in the last few years, and used when people are unable to see a wider context —- it is a (rubbish) defence against people offering a counterpoint with real-world examples against their point..as in the case above

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
You do realise you can apply a similar train of thought to the PGA Tour and pull massive holes in it.

Golfers getting paid millions in a tour that charades as a charity giver to avoid paying tax, while the execs make several miilions of dollars a year, to the detriment of golf across the world?

This is complete rubbish. I don't know if your train of thought is because you don't understand how the PGA tour status works, or because you are deliberately spreading misinformation. Whatever, you're back to your old propoganda tactics.

sunshine

Visit site
The PGA Tour most definitely is partly funded by the tax relief it gets from the US government.

Seriously - does someone help you make up these stories?

Where is your evidence that the US government funds the PGA Tour?

I didn't earn a billion pounds last year, so I didn't pay hundreds of millions of tax to HMRC. I'm so grateful for the £450 million funding from the UK government to keep me going. :ROFLMAO:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
LIV Tour is here to stay.

The PGA and DP World Tour have made an utter arse of this from the off. They should have all sat down and worked together like grown ups and thrashed out a deal to coexist and grow the game.

The fall out of it is embarrassing. The PGA in particular have acted like a spoiled brat who suddenly doesn't have everything their own way anymore.

LIV - I've actually enjoyed what I've seen, it's different, it's more relaxed and it's quicker, I don't mind hearing the music pumping in the background either. There is clearly a market for this Tour and I can only see it growing.

I'm more concerned about how Keith Pelley is ruining the European Tour. He's that blinded by pleasing the PGA that he cannot see how he's undersold and devalued the European Tour. Dropping the name "European Tour" was a stackable and ludicrous decision and would have the late Seve turning in his grave. Seve fought and grew the Tour. He'd be disgusted by it's current form.

D

Deleted member 3432

LIV Tour is here to stay.

The PGA and DP World Tour have made an utter arse of this from the off. They should have all sat down and worked together like grown ups and thrashed out a deal to coexist and grow the game.

The fall out of it is embarrassing. The PGA in particular have acted like a spoiled brat who suddenly doesn't have everything their own way anymore.

LIV - I've actually enjoyed what I've seen, it's different, it's more relaxed and it's quicker, I don't mind hearing the music pumping in the background either. There is clearly a market for this Tour and I can only see it growing.

I'm more concerned about how Keith Pelley is ruining the European Tour. He's that blinded by pleasing the PGA that he cannot see how he's undersold and devalued the European Tour. Dropping the name "European Tour" was a stackable and ludicrous decision and would have the late Seve turning in his grave. Seve fought and grew the Tour. He'd be disgusted by it's current form.

Good to see you back, one of the few that actually has a clue about golf on here..

Last paragraph is bang on ?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
1) It’s commonplace for people to comment on a part of a post, or a sentence of a post, and not every single thing.
2) Why do you think I ‘need’ to counter the first points you made, why do you even think I disagree with that? Or, do you think that if anyone criticises or comments on a part of your posts it must mean they disagree with everything you’ve written on the subject…?

Btw - Your last sentence is ridiculous…
Whataboutery is a trendy term mostly thrown around on Twitter in the last few years, and used when people are unable to see a wider context —- it is a (rubbish) defence against people offering a counterpoint with real-world examples against their point..as in the case above

Apologies I misunderstood the last sentence in your earlier post.

D

Deleted member 23270

I see that LIV are going to allow players to wear shorts. About time, I have no idea why the main tours have never done this.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I quite enjoyed the LIV coverage last night. Will I get an infraction for such blasphemy?
Hah! No criticism from me. You can watch and enjoy whatever you want. I just hate this has become so decisive. Here in the states the last thing we needed was something else to divide us.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was flicking between LIV and the KFT last night - KFT was abysmal - literally like watching paint dry, I only had it on cos Sophie Walker etc were reviewing swings on the show and she'd asked for some details of the lad after I'd linked a video on Twitter.

No crowds, no action,not one player I'd recognise (obviously)

"Golf, but Beiger"

Stick LIV on and you've got some of the best golfers in the world chasing each other shot by shot, and some of those shots were spectacular by the way.

Even got Bubba interviewing guys out on the course, the whole viewing experience is engaging.
Can you honestly say you like the drone fly overs whilst playing rave music and the constant graphics on the screen? The commentary is dreadful at best. I watched yesterdays round (all of it) as I like the idea of sticking it to the PGA but my god, what a joke. I would say I'm pro liv but I'm not going to rush to watch another tournament

I also got very tired listening to how good liv is from people that had clearly been paid to say so(from a baseball player I think)

Like I said. I want to it work but it's got a looooooooong way to go. Imo of course