LIV Golf

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Phil Mickelson won a major at nigh on 51 years old, whilst being absolutely minted - what was his motivation?

I've got a mate who is also seriously minted. He always said, whatever you're worth, there's always the next level you look at over the fence.

He has a smashing yacht, but he's searching for a bigger one.

Its all relative.

D

Deleted member 15344

To be fair, by the time the Majors come along again, many of these players may well have dropped outside the top 100 ranked players. So, perhaps the Majors will not have that big a headache. Players like Wolff, Watson, Matt Jones, Bland, Garcia, etc will probably be outside the Top 100 and I doubt the Majors will lose too much sleep over that.

Brooks, DeChambeau, Smith and DJ may be the biggest 4 players that will be missed. However, I still doubt they'd lose sleep over missing just these 4 players. As it stands, I think 19 of the top 20 are not on LIV. So, I think when you have the likes of Scheffler, McIlroy, Cantlay, Scauffle, Rahm, Thomas, Spieth, Morikawa, Zalatoris, etc in the Majors, there is are no real concerns.

The likes of Garcia have lifetime exemptions into the Masters , every major winner player on the LIV tour will be playing in some or all the majors next season and some with exemeptions for life or until 60

Also players like Niemann have exemptions into them next year due to performances this season

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The likes of Garcia have lifetime exemptions into the Masters , every major winner player on the LIV tour will be playing in some or all the majors next season and some with exemeptions for life or until 60

Also players like Niemann have exemptions into them next year due to performances this season

Do they actually have exemptions Phil, or have they qualified for an invitation? Subtle difference

https://www.augusta.com/masters/qualifications

What happens if the Masters Committee decline to issue an invitation?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Do they actually have exemptions Phil, or have they qualified for an invitation? Subtle difference

Let's hope they do. But past winners will surely be invited, can't say same for everyone else.

The Masters is different in terms of qualification. They won't be worried about upsetting the LIV folk.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Im not sure what the main motivation for a pro is.... But I am but a mere' hacker and don't play my mates for cash... But you can be damn sure I'm motivated to want to beat them, as they are me, every time we play.. Its that inbuilt thing I am sure a lot of us have.? ?
I trust anyone here being keen to win when standing in the 1st tee on a Saturday/Sunday morning, whatever the weather.
But who is going out for 30 minutes bunker practice and 30 minutes putting drills on a Thursday evening in the rain, storm,… to set us up best possible for that weekend round?

Springveldt

Visit site

If they did then I won't watch it, not that it matters.

I already don't really like the Masters due to it's shady history, the cut down field, the amount of feting people do over the place. It's everything golf is trying not to be. Declining to invite players that have met their qualifying rules over something that really should not be a concern of theirs as they aren't affiliated to any Tour would probably push me over the edge of it. If they did that then their Major status should be put at risk imho.

D

Deleted member 21445

So basically you’re saying that the sports washing is working. You’ve been successfully brainwashed?

No I'm saying the media arnt asking the questions as much in the press conferences.
Don't think at Liv Boston one journo asked about the source of the money.

In London and Portland they were bombarded..

Swango1980

Visit site
No I'm saying the media arnt asking the questions as much in the press conferences.

That is natural. Press fatigue, based on fact even the public get bored after the same questions are asked every time.

Just look at the war in Ukraine. All that was talked about at the start, I even watched live cams from Kiev constantly. Now, it is just an after thought. What was going on in Love Island was bigger news.

evemccc

Visit site

Well that’s a hellavu lot more than the BBC, Sky and other assorted media have asked about Anthony Joshua’s two fights in Saudi, and about Newcastle United..

sunshine

Visit site
Well that’s a hellavu lot more than the BBC, Sky and other assorted media have asked about Anthony Joshua’s two fights in Saudi, and about Newcastle United..

I’ve noticed that there has been little mention of the Newcastle sports washing project, especially as they’ve splashed out during the transfer window.

Maybe there is an assumption that golf fans have more integrity and are able to critically assess the situation. Whereas football fans are too thick to understand and can be distracted by a big pair of tits. I don’t know.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve noticed that there has been little mention of the Newcastle sports washing project, especially as they’ve splashed out during the transfer window.

Maybe there is an assumption that golf fans have more integrity and are able to critically assess the situation. Whereas football fans are too thick to understand and can be distracted by a big pair of tits. I don’t know.
I dont think so. I think other sports prove that fans in the main dont have any objection to the source of money or sports washing. Its why that angle has made no inroads into harming LIV. They dont care. Nothing fundamental changes in the premier league in general, or for Newcastle fans, with a Saudi sugardaddy.

But LIV is like setting up a new league structure running in parallel with the premiership. With only some teams invited. And others left behind in the existing league without some of the top teams. Remove a few from the upper ranks to play a new league - Spurs, Everton, Arsenal Southampton, Villa, for eg, and a scattering of championship and L1 teams. The premier league would fight it tooth and nail, and fans would be very exercised by a weakening of the premiership. But it isnt the sportswashing angle that would be their problem. It would be a splitting of the football landscape as they know it.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

@Dando and @Bratty could distract anyone …

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Ffs man :ROFLMAO:

Literally tune in to see the numbers 51k (well worth the 200 mil they’ve spunked this week on signings) commentators say “HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE IN LIV GOLF….” Wolf standing on a par 3 tee “erm.. oh er you’re seeing this as live as we are… oh where’s this going it’s in the hole”

Canny (y) love spoilers

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

The initial outrage dies down and then job done the… Saudis are at the table that’s part of sportswashing

D

Deleted member 21445

Ffs man :ROFLMAO:

Literally tune in to see the numbers 51k (well worth the 200 mil they’ve spunked this week on signings) commentators say “HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE IN LIV GOLF….” Wolf standing on a par 3 tee “erm.. oh er you’re seeing this as live as we are… oh where’s this going it’s in the hole”

Canny (y) love spoilers

One of the criticisms of Liv is that it has no history which for a brand new tour is ridiculous really when you think about it.

You can't buy History...
You have to make it and build it..

That was the 1st hole in one in a new tours history so you can't blame them for milking it... Which they did...

Awesome shot by the way #laser

Last edited by a moderator:

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
One of the criticisms of Liv is that it has no history which for a brand new tour is ridiculous really when you think about it.

You can't buy History...
You have to make it and build it..

That was the 1st hole in one in a new tours history so you can't blame them for milking it... Which they did...

Awesome shot by the way #laser

Let the shot play … then react maybe? That was my problem with it was like Faldo with Rory’s bunker shot at the masters completely ruins it

Yeah they edited that from the clip haha