LIV Golf

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I wonder if the 7 will have 2nd thoughts knowing there's little likelihood of PGA gametime u til sometime in 2024..?
The size of the brown envelopes suggests possibly not...

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
New might also be that we have never heard of them. Shuffling the deck, unless the 7 are from the top 30 owgr, still leaves the Saudi tour as a feeder to the Champions tour.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Have they done anything about the field size?

16 x 3 is an exact number of 48 slots. They could go 18 x 3 to 54 without much trouble, but are they going to four balls to sign more players?

I like shotgun starts, keeps it busy. But you can’t just add and add and add to the field.

D

Deleted member 1147

Have they done anything about the field size?

16 x 3 is an exact number of 48 slots. They could go 18 x 3 to 54 without much trouble, but are they going to four balls to sign more players?

I like shotgun starts, keeps it busy. But you can’t just add and add and add to the field.
They’ll need A and B groups off some tees if they get too many players.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
H'mm. A bit misleading!
Ranked 91 the week before Centurion - thanks to a win in The International.
A 7th place in Japan PGA, part of the Asian tour, a couple of weeks ago helped too.
Does seem that playing well on Asian tour can keep some LIV players at a level where they can get into majors. Though it will depend on how many choose that route, as the more that do, the greater 'dilution' of points for LIV players as a group.
Wasn't intended to be. The oft repeated phrase was the liv players had been "dropping down the rankings all year", but acknowledge I didn't make that clear.
This whole saga has broadened my knowledge of the world game a bit. Inamori is another interesting player. Started year around 113 - 128, currently 86.
In addition to the Asian tour mentioned, it seems the Japan tour are allowing participation, and the Australian tour recently stated they would.

RRidges

Visit site
Wasn't intended to be. The oft repeated phrase was the liv players had been "dropping down the rankings all year", but acknowledge I didn't make that clear.
This whole saga has broadened my knowledge of the world game a bit. Inamori is another interesting player. Started year around 113 - 128, currently 86.
In addition to the Asian tour mentioned, it seems the Japan tour are allowing participation, and the Australian tour recently stated they would.
My comment wasn't meant as a criticise, merely a 'correction'.
Indeed, lower tours are probably keen to have high ranked or even fading stars as participants. It boosts their ratings, both from OWGR and publicity POV. It's also better for the LIV players if they can spread their attendance, though it's a fine balance between between boosting the overall rating of a tournament and diluting the points earnt by the group. And they weren't particularly successful in Singapore. Reed continued his gradual decline over the last few months, though a 7th at Charles Schwab clawed back the 2 places he lost the week before. Peter Uhlein did the best of the ones I recognise at 7th with Wade Ormsby in the same journeyman position as Reed.
Inamori certainly does seem to have potential. A couple of wins even with a few disappointing results. So streaky!

Last edited:

RRidges

Visit site
I wonder if the 7 will have 2nd thoughts knowing there's little likelihood of PGA gametime u til sometime in 2024..?
The size of the brown envelopes suggests possibly not...
It'll depend on how their forays to Asia for OWGR points turn out. But certainly sufficient LIV income, provided it's real income, would placate them in the meantime!

D

Deleted member 21445

or, they could move to 4, but make it best 2 scores to count. maybe "963" to spice up the finish.

Maybe they could put them out shotgun in their teams of 4 to increase the field and reinvigorate the team aspect through really seeing some team spirit on the course between players??

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another good option to increase field size could be to put the groups out sequentially. They could then all start on the same hole, which could be called 'the first' for example, and would easily allow around a hundred to play. A refinement for days 2 and 3 would be to have players start in reverse order of the leaderboard, which would really highten the excitement and drama at the end as the last groups finish up on the 18th.

Its just a thought.

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another good option to increase field size could be to put the groups out sequentially. They could then all start on the same hole, which could be called 'the first' for example, and would easily allow around a hundred to play. A refinement for days 2 and 3 would be to have players start in reverse order of the leaderboard, which would really highten the excitement and drama at the end as the last groups finish up on the 18th.

Its just a thought.

Maybe they could even reduce the number of players after the second round. I'm sure there must be a way that they could "cut" the number of players for the final round.

RRidges

Visit site

Its just a thought.
Maybe they could even reduce the number of players after the second round. I'm sure there must be a way that they could "cut" the number of players for the final round.
Far too old-fashioned ('54?) ideas!
The entire setup - 3 rounds; shotgun start; no cut; teams - is simply to be different from PGAT events.
From memory, the tee allocations on the final day meant that the leaders after Day 2 finished on 18 on Day 3- at least at Centurion and Bedminster.

RRidges

Visit site
Pat Perez has pulled out of the lawsuit citing his reason as...I didn't think it through fully......
:unsure::rolleyes:
Seems a thoroughly reasonable reason to me - having read the complete SI article. He put his 'LIV team' priorities ahead of his own - to eventually play on The Champions Tour - when he signed up to the lawsuit. Who knows what non-disclosed discussions or agreements might have occurred since doing so.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seems a thoroughly reasonable reason to me - having read the complete SI article. He put his 'LIV team' priorities ahead of his own - to eventually play on The Champions Tour - when he signed up to the lawsuit.
So confirming that some players are seeing LIV as a feed tour to the Champions tour. Midlife Limbo Tour. Its how it looks from the outside too.

RRidges

Visit site
So confirming that some players are seeing LIV as a feed tour to the Champions tour. Midlife Limbo Tour. Its how it looks from the outside too.
That's one way of viewing it.
I'd have considered it simply a bonus option for fading/aging PGAT players, with the Champions Tour being more a retirement option for top players.
Mid Life Limbo Tour isn't a bad way to describe it for many though. Whether they, or equivalents, will be there in a couple of years is something to be discovered. LIV's first priority was obviously to get 48 players for Centurion, so probably wasn't as selective as they might be in the future. Their obvious candidates were aging 'names' that were slipping down the rankings, but that might well change in the future.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
☝ curious, what sort of age are you two thinking of to be in the 'limbo to champions tour"?
With that tour being run by the PGA Tour, not sure that's a reliable option - maybe they hope to capture enough cash to not need to play on it ?