LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Sportspeople arent role models. Only people directly in a kids life are role models. Sportspeople, musicians, etc. are just mythical remote heros. Kids have no perspective on the real lives of elite sportsmen, and can thus take no guidance from them on how to conduct themselves.
Model their swings.
Well, given this chat began with Tiger Woods was a role model to many (and this was based on Rory's comments), then you can agree is certainly not a mythical remote hero to them.

Most of them probably grew up as elite child golfers, and knew they had a very good chance of ending up in Tiger's world of pro golf. Whether they ever met him or not, he would have been very real to them. He would have been their vision of what their life could be if they could emulate any of that success. They probably trained harder, and tried to match his pure focus on the course.

They then made it to the Tour. I am sure many have not only played with him, but also become friends. I'm sure they will look for advice. And, as Rory said, there is only one Alpha in the room when Tiger is there, and everyone listens.

So, as much as people like to think sports people are not role models, they are wrong. Tiger is clearly a role model to them, and probably millions more that never made it. I'm guessing he was even probably some sort of role model to me, at least to the extent of influencing me into playing golf. Not life changing (or maybe, golf is a pretty big part of my social life), but probably still a positive role model in that sense. Clearly not the only one. I also have a good family, friends, had several great teachers, etc. We probably have hundreds of role models in our lives without ever really thinking of it that way. Many will be people we know, some will be people we know of but never seen. Goodness, some people might even take some positives in their lives for admiring Batman.

RichA

Visit site
Have a day off, HUGE fans but don't watch these races, there's no point in following the sport then.
You can't tell me they never watched all that drama in Abu Dhabi last year been the HUGE fans that they are.
Not that different to HUGE golf fans who aren't watching LIV, of whom there are many. Is there no point in them following golf?

Swango1980

Visit site
Not that different to HUGE golf fans who aren't watching LIV, of whom there are many. Is there no point in them following golf?
That is different. Huge golf fans who don't watch LIV can still watch the PGA Tour and DP World Tour, and consider them the pinnacle organisations for elite golf. LIV is simply a side show. They are huge fans of the PGA, for example, but not of LIV.

Liverpoolphil says he has huge F1 fans in the family. Racing in the Middle East in integral to the F1 calendar, so it is hard to believe that people could be huge fans of F1, yet refuse to watch those particular reason. Not impossible, but not very believable. It was also suggested, in the context, that they purely didn't watch these events because they were in the Middle East (rather than they just happened to be doing other things on those particular days). So, I did wonder, as I mentioned, if they would equally boycott watching the entire World Cup? Or, if they watch golf, have they refused to watch all main tour events ever played in the Middle East?

RichA

Visit site
That is different. Huge golf fans who don't watch LIV can still watch the PGA Tour and DP World Tour, and consider them the pinnacle organisations for elite golf. LIV is simply a side show. They are huge fans of the PGA, for example, but not of LIV.

Liverpoolphil says he has huge F1 fans in the family. Racing in the Middle East in integral to the F1 calendar, so it is hard to believe that people could be huge fans of F1, yet refuse to watch those particular reason. Not impossible, but not very believable. It was also suggested, in the context, that they purely didn't watch these events because they were in the Middle East (rather than they just happened to be doing other things on those particular days). So, I did wonder, as I mentioned, if they would equally boycott watching the entire World Cup? Or, if they watch golf, have they refused to watch all main tour events ever played in the Middle East?
Not every human on planet Earth thinks in quite such a binary fashion.
Fans of LIV don't believe it's "simply a sideshow". Fans of F1 are entitled to pick and choose which events they watch. There will be 22 Grand Prix this year. Missing a couple hardly makes the rest of the season unfathomable.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fans of LIV don't believe it's "simply a sideshow". Fans of F1 are entitled to pick and choose which events they watch. There will be 22 Grand Prix this year. Missing a couple hardly makes the rest of the season unfathomable.

Imagine if it was the last race of the season and a decider for the title.
Probably one of the most exciting,controversial endings ever in F1and you didn’t watch it because of where it was held.
How unfortunate.

RichA

Visit site
Imagine if it was the last race of the season and a decider for the title.
Probably one of the most exciting,controversial endings ever in F1and you didn’t watch it because of where it was held.
How unfortunate.
Imagine popping into an embassy for a routine appointment and being brought out in pieces in a suitcase.

Swango1980

Visit site
I am aware of this, but I cannot break down the thoughts of every single human being on the planet. I can only speak generally.

However, a huge GOLF fan can be quite content watching the PGA Tour only, or any other tour of their choice. A huge golf fan is more equivalent to a huge motorsport fan. A huge motorsport fan may watch one or many of the motorsport organisations out there. However, there may be many they don't bother with. F1, Indycar, Nascar, MotoGP, Rally, etc.

A huge F1 fan, however, is very specific to a huge PGA Tour fan or a huge DP World Tour fan. Personally, if you have a HUGE F1 fan who do not watch Grand Prix's in the Middle East purely because it is in the Middle East, I find that hard to believe. At minimum, I'd question whether they are really huge fans at all. And, even if they insisted, I'd wonder why. After all, they are making a strong decision not to watch key Grand Prix's on this principal (clearly they feel incredibly strongly about this), yet they still consider themselves huge fans of an organisation that gave the green light to have these events in the Middle East in the first place.

Either way, it is hard to see a HUGE fan of F1 missing significant reasons for this reason. Whereas HUGE fans of golf generally can take or leave LIV as they so choose.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well I didn’t realise people making choices and judgements was such an unbelievable concept these days

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Any further info from the top 20 players meeting? Its the critical one. If they hold the line with pgat, then LIV is dead tour walking. And will remain a novelty act of no credibility as an early retirement champions type tour. But if the top players dont hold - I would say Smith plus any other top 20 player defecting to Saudi - then the pgat is in real trouble. And those player who dont jump. Business as normal for them will not be possible.

Visit site
https://www.wsj.com/articles/liv-golf-pga-tour-contract-11660744567?mod=hp_lead_pos12

Annoyingly behind a pay wall, not sure if anyone can access in full?

key points summarised (as I understand it):
- LIV players must play all LIV events
- Requirement to wear LIV merch when competing at all Non-LIV events
- Also a $1m bonus to any LIV player who wins a major ?
- Players are expected to assist in recruiting other golfers to join LIV

Comments on another forum indicating that the LIV contracts are considerably more restrictive than PGA Tour contracts. Think that was covered by the court case recently.

All that nonsense from players about wanting more freedom of when and where to play, etc etc - all a load of nonsense.

It’s like an MLM scheme and rather embarrassing. The juice+ of golf, if you will.

RRidges

Visit site
Any further info from the top 20 players meeting? Its the critical one. If they hold the line with pgat, then LIV is dead tour walking. And will remain a novelty act of no credibility as an early retirement champions type tour. But if the top players dont hold - I would say Smith plus any other top 20 player defecting to Saudi - then the pgat is in real trouble. And those player who dont jump. Business as normal for them will not be possible.
I'm a bit puzzled why they held it now. Announcing it now, but holding it after the Fedex Play-Off Final would seem, to me, more sensible unless they are trying to prevent 'waverers' from going - a strategy I doubt would be successful.
I don't actually believe losing a couple more - and that's on top of the expectation that Cam Smith will go - would be disastrous, but the constant 'drip', even of lower level players is probably a concern for them.
I also think Monahan has to be involved in any negotiation, though maybe not at the coalface. He's no different to Norman in either his position or what he has done to protect/further 'his' organisation, so either both or neither.

RRidges

Visit site
https://www.wsj.com/articles/liv-golf-pga-tour-contract-11660744567?mod=hp_lead_pos12

Annoyingly behind a pay wall, not sure if anyone can access in full?

key points summarised (as I understand it):
- LIV players must play all LIV events
- Requirement to wear LIV merch when competing at all Non-LIV events
- Also a $1m bonus to any LIV player who wins a major ?
- Players are expected to assist in recruiting other golfers to join LIV

Comments on another forum indicating that the LIV contracts are considerably more restrictive than PGA Tour contracts. Think that was covered by the court case recently.

All that nonsense from players about wanting more freedom of when and where to play, etc etc - all a load of nonsense.

It’s like an MLM scheme and rather embarrassing. The juice+ of golf, if you will.
Re the bold bit....
Did any - apart from Patrick Reed - wear LIV kit at The Open? Or The Scottish Open? I know they were allowed to at the US Open. Poulter wasn't wearing LIV kit the shots I saw of him at The Scottish Open.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The article I read made reference to that being a 'sample' of a LIV contract
I'd imagine only a few (lower lights) players do not have a bespoke contract, so inevitably some items will apply while other items do not