LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tiger is a god who rose from the dead in 2018 and 2019, and silenced any doubters about his divine nature. He could walk across the pond from tee straight to green on the 16th at Augusta, but has too much respect for the tradition there of walking around it, to do so. The respect from the worlds top golfers for him is immense. They know he is on a different level to them and he commands their respect, and they will follow his guidance. His intervention is an interesting step.
Could it be that, playing days now done, he becomes even greater, as, The Saviour of Golf ?

D

Deleted member 15344

I pity any person who's looking for role models in any area of professional sport.
He was a great golfer. That's all I think about when I think of him.

For some he is a golf role model and a lot of the players certainly looked up to him and how he changed the sport

For the 00’s he was the main draw for the sport and brought a lot of people to the game

Unfortunately for many he dominated the coverage too much even when not playing well

And then off the course he was far from anyones perfect role model

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Tiger is a god who rose from the dead in 2018 and 2019, and silenced any doubters about his divine nature. He could walk across the pond from tee straight to green on the 16th at Augusta, but has too much respect for the tradition there of walking around it, to do so. The respect from the worlds top golfers for him is immense. They know he is on a different level to them and he commands their respect, and they will follow his guidance. His intervention is an interesting step.
Could it be that, playing days now done, he becomes even greater, as, The Saviour of Golf ?

Whoever taught him how to walk on water needs to teach him how to drive a car. ?

Swango1980

Visit site
I pity any person who's looking for role models in any area of professional sport.
He was a great golfer. That's all I think about when I think of him.
Who should be a role model? Movie stars? Politicians? Singers? Rappers?

We are all human, even sports stars. We all have faults. Some enough to definitely set a bad example, even if it is a lot of petty faults. Although, some may even become a great role model if they are shown to learn from very bad mistakes.

Regardless of how a professional sportsperson lives their life, they could well end up being a fantastic role model for someone, who use their example to strive towards a more worthy goal than the direction they had been going in previously.

Tiger has clearly set the benchmark for many of the golfers on tour now. Most of them probably grew up wanting to be him. Practiced so much harder, to the point they are now living a life they might never have dreamed off had they not had that motivation at that time in their life. Sure, they might have got there anyway, but they'll remember Tiger being the one they looked up to at that time.

Role models come in all shapes and sizes. If they end up giving a positive direction to someones life, I reckon that person is a good role model. I'm sure Messi, Michael Jordan, Lewis Hamilton, Andy Murray, etc have all been pretty good role models for many kids out there.

evemccc

Visit site
Who should be a role model? Movie stars? Politicians? Singers? Rappers?

To paraphrase Charles Barkley’s famous comment on role-models, “Nope”

Inventors, scientists, parents, doctors, teachers, electricians, carpenters, emergency service staff, people who get up and go to work to provide for their children etc etc ‘should’ be role-models

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Having read Hank Haney’s book on Tiger, and being aware of Tiger’s carryings-on, I certainly wouldn’t call him a Hero nor say that I looked up to him…and he should never be seen as an arbiter of taste, decency, ethics or morality

Very bland, weird, seemingly emotionally-stunted, boring, yet very good at golf

He’s many things. But boring is not one of them.

RichA

Visit site

Inventors, scientists, parents, doctors, teachers, electricians, carpenters, emergency service staff, people who get up and go to work to provide for their children etc etc ‘should’ be role-models
I would like to "Like" this many more times than the one allowed.
????????????

Swango1980

Visit site

Indeed. No one ever said anyone should have just one role model. If any kid has those sorts of people in their lives, who set a good example, all the better. Very sadly, for example, I bet there are millions of kids out there that would be find many sports people infinitely better role models than their parents.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Wife works in social services, just had to move a family into a posh hotel while their home is fumigated cos the parents are scruffy buggers.

Excellent parenting - teach your kids that if they let the house become infested with cockroaches, you will get a free holiday.

Last edited:

RRidges

Visit site
Wife works in social services, just had to move a family into a posh hotel while their home is fumigated cos the parents are scruffy buggers.

Excellent parenting - teach your kids that if they let the house become infested with cockroaches, you will get a free holiday.
Er...While disturbing, though not unfamiliar to many, how is the above relevant to LIV Golf?
FWIW, I believe, from my contacts, that it's going to get much worse - or at least the vile conditions are going to be publicised much more!

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Er...While disturbing, though not unfamiliar to many, how is the above relevant to LIV Golf?
FWIW, I believe, from my contacts, that it's going to get much worse - or at least the vile conditions are going to be publicised much more!

If you read the post above mine it'll probably make a lot more sense Columbo.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sportspeople arent role models. Only people directly in a kids life are role models. Sportspeople, musicians, etc. are just mythical remote heros. Kids have no perspective on the real lives of elite sportsmen, and can thus take no guidance from them on how to conduct themselves.
Model their swings.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Whilst a noble thought all people have the capacity to behave badly, make terrible mistakes, willingly abuse, exploit or hurt others.

Morals and professions aren’t hand in hand. Let’s take for example that well known doctor, Harold Shipman.