LIV Golf

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
When I worked in England many years ago, some the English guys had been to Saudi to work, I do not recall one person ever saying that they were bad people with little morals, the main reason they went was for the money.

I think that is the case today for a lot of people, have a look at the workforce there now, plenty Aussies Kiwi's Brit's Asian people etc, all there for the money, I have no problem with that, why just pick on Golfers.

I absolutely do not agree that it okay to go for the money, if you make that decision you have decided the extra money is okay to endorse or help a despotic regime. That does not mean every Saudi is evil, but the government is. Likewise anyone who wanted to work for a Russian backed event now would be selling out their morals.

Basically this LIV tour has shown that a lot of professional sportsmen's morals are for sale, which is fine it is their choice, but a lot of the world will judge them for it

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I just googled "sportswashing" and read a very informative wikipedia article. I was guilty of supporting a number of teams, events, people and organisations guilty of it...

As a short list
Ineos cycling team
AC Milan
Athletico Mardid
Arsenal
Man City
Newcastle Utd
Nearly every F1 team and event, Williams and Jordan a surprise to me
Nearly every major football tournament in the last 20 years
Huge number of boxing events
Godolfin Stables
Tennis events
Golf events

Loads.

Golf isnt even the tip of the iceberg, but well, I suppose you cant say its good to be the least worst.

Having read the list can categorically say I have been influenced in my view of countries by sportswashing.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I would also add, anyone who thinks golfers knocking back a pay day would solve world hunger and bring peace to the middle east needs a bit of a shake.

Its clear theyre in it for the money, its a question wether a greater or lesser percentage of the pga money comes from any better sources, and the money would just go to other sports...

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Who are the people screaming "sports washing" the loudest?

Of course, it's the PGA and the media that follow them.

And setting up a question with Monahon about 9/11 right in the peak viewing slot, about a letter sent to the representatives of the LIV players - he should and could have just passed it on as a matter for them to deal with, but no, slow zoom, "I know families affected" etc.
They don't miss an opportunity for some dirty tricks, I'll give them that.

Springveldt

Visit site
I would be too if someone paid me 150 million to swap tours and have more holidays :ROFLMAO:
Lots more money, more than anyone has made in a lifetime on the PGA Tour, even the guy with 82 wins hasn't made that much from golf alone. That's FU money they have just given him.

More money, less events, less days, poorer competition while the PGA is promoting less money, more events, more days and tougher competition to win that lower amount. If you are a professional golfer then it's a "no brainer" as they say. The Saudi's have ploughed money into loads of other sports, golfers shouldn't be getting harassed and shamed for taking it imho.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
"Sportswashing is the practice of an individual, group, corporation, or government using sport to improve their tarnished reputation, through hosting a sporting event, the purchase or sponsorship of sporting teams, or by participation in the sport itself. At the international level, sportswashing has been used to direct attention away from a poor human rights record and corruption scandals within a government. While at the individual or corporate level sportswashing is used to cover up and direct attention away from said person's or company's vices, crimes, or scandals. Sportswashing is an example of reputation laundering."

Probably the phrase I understand the least. I know what it says it means but I don’t see how its supposed to work.
Why should they care what people think of them. They are already doing business globally with the people that matter to them, despite the way they run their country. That’ll just continue for the hubs they’re investing in, why wouldn’t it. its not as if its worse now than it was a generation ago

Even on this forum no one has changed their opinion due to money pumped into LIV. What chance then that those who manage international and global investments will be swayed from one camp to the other by ongoing sponsorship of a golf event. You either will or won't do business with countries like that and there's clearly plenty that will

The end consumers just buy whatever’s on offer regardless of where it comes from. They & the other countries don’t need acceptance from the consumer, whether its oil or smartphones or anything else

In short; Who is sportwashing supposed to work on?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Lots more money, more than anyone has made in a lifetime on the PGA Tour, even the guy with 82 wins hasn't made that much from golf alone. That's FU money they have just given him.

More money, less events, less days, poorer competition while the PGA is promoting less money, more events, more days and tougher competition to win that lower amount. If you are a professional golfer then it's a "no brainer" as they say. The Saudi's have ploughed money into loads of other sports, golfers shouldn't be getting harassed and shamed for taking it imho.
As long as they admit that they're only really in it for the cash..fair play to Bryson and Kaymer and maybe a couple of others...
Let's be honest..if they weren't being paid the millions would any of them have been at Centurion last week..?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

It’s only a no brainier if you’re only interested in collecting cash.

Some of them have said they have enough already and are playing for glory. Which is easier to say when you are Rory or JT than someone struggling to make the cut every week. But then professional sport is not a participation even.

AussieKB

Visit site
As long as they admit that they're only really in it for the cash..fair play to Bryson and Kaymer and maybe a couple of others...
Let's be honest..if they weren't being paid the millions would any of them have been at Centurion last week..?
You can say they same about all who take appearance money....Tiger Rory etc....what's the difference ?

Springveldt

Visit site
It’s only a no brainier if you’re only interested in collecting cash.

Some of them have said they have enough already and are playing for glory. Which is easier to say when you are Rory or JT than someone struggling to make the cut every week. But then professional sport is not a participation even.
Yeah, it's easy for Rory who's made probably around $100M in winnings alone on the course without his massive Nike deal etc. He's already got FU money, he can turn down whatever he wants.

Let's be honest, the vast majority are interested in collecting cash. When someone is offering you your career earnings or more to go play golf for them or stay on the tour and grind out 20+ events every year for the next 20 years it kinda is a no brainer.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

No they wouldnt

But would Rory, Thomas, Finau etc be in Canada playing golf if they werent being paid hansomely to do so? With the added bonus of fed ex points - which again means more money in the long term.

Also probably not

Change this argument to the Majors and it all changes though. Thats played for pride and to go down in history.

Springveldt

Visit site
Of course they wouldn't have been there last week. We all know it's for the cash whether they say it or not. Doesn't really bother me what they come out with, it's not going to affect my life, they can say whatever they want but we know it's because they want the money.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
My thoughts are people are looking to far into it, clearly about the money is why they are playing, but it is their job, what they do for a living.
Just because we love the game of golf, doesn’t mean some of these golfers do, they just want to earn as much as they can and get out, DJ probably a good example.
One things for sure if I got offered a 50k pay rise to effectively do the same job, I’d be away, I’d also be surprised if no one else would.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My thoughts are people are looking to far into it, clearly about the money is why they are playing, but it is their job, what they do for a living.
Just because we love the game of golf, doesn’t mean some of these golfers do, they just want to earn as much as they can and get out, DJ probably a good example.
One things for sure if I got offered a 50k pay rise to effectively do the same job, I’d be away, I’d also be surprised if no one else would.

And one less working day!

Its a no brainer for me

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No they wouldnt

But would Rory, Thomas, Finau etc be in Canada playing golf if they werent being paid hansomely to do so? With the added bonus of fed ex points - which again means more money in the long term.

Also probably not

Change this argument to the Majors and it all changes though. Thats played for pride and to go down in history.
They would because the PGA Tour is long established and that's where professional golfers play, alongside all the other Pro Tours...
The point is that it took many, many millions of dollars to assemble a pretty average field who would have been playing on those tours had the carrot not been dangled..
I don't really mind that they're chasing the money
I'd just like them to be honest about it.
Also the Canadian Open is considered to be one of the most significant titles outside of the Majors and WGCs..it predates the Masters by 30 years and there's an argument that it should have been a Major...the best in the world were playing there and not in Hemel.

D

Deleted member 15344

No they wouldnt

Also probably not

Not sure that’s the case in regards the Canadian Open

A good number of golfers looks to play the week before the major - some give it a mess , it also has the ranking points which opens up further doors - majors. Wgc and of course Ryder Cup points

All the tour events come with more than just money