Lift and Place all year round.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m ok we’re probably one of the only clubs allowed pick and place all year what’s more it’s one club length 😉

Must say though in all the years I’ve been playing when I’m down south I can only remember landing in a divot once.
I assume that you are in GB&I. If so, is your national union aware the your club would in breach of the handicapping rules and that none of your members' scores count for handicapping purposes

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you implying that a rain shower that wets the grass similarly should require preferred lies?
If so, best switch to indoor golf! 😎
No if you read Orikuro's post he is implying that just because it is 22 degrees and dry when he plays there should not be lift clean and place.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
No if you read Orikuro's post he is implying that just because it is 22 degrees and dry when he plays there should not be lift clean and place.
I thought that your comments about wet grass and grass on the ball were in favour of using preferred lies, and I was not in favour of that.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I t
I assume that you are in GB&I. If so, is your national union aware the your club would in breach of the handicapping rules and that none of your members' scores count for handicapping purposes
I think we've been through this before in an old thread. And I'm pretty sure Riburnside was able to demonstrate that it was all approved due to the specific conditions of his course (in its rather remote location).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I t

I think we've been through this before in an old thread. And I'm pretty sure Riburnside was able to demonstrate that it was all approved due to the specific conditions of his course (in its rather remote location).
I does ring a bell. The odd bit is the 1cl.

YandaB

Visit site
I does ring a bell. The odd bit is the 1cl.
Yes, it came up last time ""Winter rules all year" was discussed back in March:

Has been reduced to 1cl from the original 2cl

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought that your comments about wet grass and grass on the ball were in favour of using preferred lies, and I was not in favour of that.

I am in favour of having a period of winter rules but not in favour of winter rules all year round.

I would be very much against having a hokey cokey of the rules being brought in and out simply because we have a few days of exceptional weather be it wet or dry.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Not at all interested in a change of this nature. If you insist on hitting every shot off a perfect lie, go to the range. Our sport is played in a natural environment and is subject to the vagaries of condition, weather, other golfers, nature, and luck. If you try to regulate them all out, you'd end up with a very different game, one that could be played on a simulator so everyone has identical conditions.

sjn

Visit site
...although it has been for the Artisans! There's a board up if you look hard enough😉
interesting - whereabouts is it ? I go there for a charity day every year , had a peak in the artisans 'clubhouse' this year, Didnot notice anything . I will look up the ratings on WHS , to use next year

Swango1980

Visit site
And by the way next time on the European Tour they have preferred lies in a tournament please let them know what a bunch of useless Golfers they are and they should be like you hitting 7 irons out of divots onto the green.
I'm guessing, in the very recent history, there was a chap doing very well in a competition. Hits a great drive on the last, but finds his ball in a slight divot. Sadly, he hits a woeful approach shot, gets a triple bogey, and loses the competition by one shot.

Question is, was that guy called Glyn Mitchell? Was it you? :)

Jason.H

Visit site
I understand your point but I think you are missing mine. Lift and place is allowed in the winter and with the current climate when does winter start or finish? All I am trying to do is take an element of bad luck out of the game. Very sorry you will not be signing my petition.

Surely bad luck and good luck average out. Mind you listening to my playing partners you would think the world is against them😂.
There are skills to learn from playing from divots and other bad lies. It’s always been part of the game. I play at least 3 times a week and can’t remember the last time I was in a divot though last Saturday I had a bad lie on the 18th but managed to come down a bit steeper and hit a great wedge to the green.
Personally I don’t want pick and place through the summer.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely bad luck and good luck average out.
I agree with much of your post, but this bit is not really true.
It depends on the probability of the outcomes and if they are independent of each other.
They are probably largely independent but I suspect they may not be equally probable.

Think of being on a putting green with the odd imperfection that knocks a ball of course.
A well hit putt hitting such an imperfection will generally miss because it goes somewhere other than the place it would have gone ie the hole.
However a poorly hit putt will only occasionally go into the hole as opposed to where it would have gone as there are so many places it might go and only a small number of them are in a line with the hole.

Jason.H

Visit site
It depends on the probability of the outcomes and if they are independent of each other.
They are probably largely independent but I suspect they may not be equally probable.

Think of being on a putting green with the odd imperfection that knocks a ball of course.
A well hit putt hitting such an imperfection will generally miss because it goes somewhere other than the place it would have gone ie the hole.
However a poorly hit putt will only occasionally go into the hole as opposed to where it would have gone as there are so many places it might go and only a small number of them are in a line with the hole.
Last year I scored really well after our greens had been hollow tined and won a couple of comps. I think 95% of the field had deemed it impossible and had virtually given up. Hopefully this weekend will be the same 😂

Swango1980

Visit site

But they'll even themselves out relative to other golfers in the field. Unless any golfers are cursed, and doomed to more bad luck than others 🙃