Keeping your head

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
this has happened twice recently.

So there I am enjoying a round of social golf and doing okay. Not flushing every shot by any means, in fact quite poor striking but balls just about going up the fairway and getting near the green if not on with approaches. Just about getting up and down, down in three at worst. So, okay but not great.

Then come to a hole get the driver out - snap hook. Damn this game get another out, another hook or wild slice, even a top one. Then takes another 3 or 4 shots to get off the damn tee. Walk up to it, swings back on and we’re playing again!!

Just wondering what to do to stop it happening. I could go to the pro and ask for a lesson on not being a knob, but I’m not sure he does miracles! I could cope with the odd one going OB but it’s why I can’t hit the next one. I’m wondering if after I’ve put one out of bounds whether I should just put the driver away, get a 4iron out and just bump it along a bit.

the most annoying thing. I’ve no idea where the bad swing even comes from. I think my poor shots maybe come when I get flat in the backswing.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It'll probably be something simple like a change in grip. Most golf swings work if you repeat the basics everytime.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One of the hardest things is to let a poor shot go...put it behind you...stop worrying about it..
Incredibly hard.
I'm at the point where I'll cuss and moan about the bad shot but, as soon as I'm at the ball again and getting ready to play, thats it..it's gone.
Nothing you can do about it.
Concentrate on the next one.
It's not easy and it doesn't always work but, most of the time, I've had my rant and settled on to the next shot.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
the most annoying thing. I’ve no idea where the bad swing even comes from.

There is your problem.
1. A snaphook is normally caused by the fear of hitting a hook. The body stops turning, the arms and club overtake the body and it's left all day.
2. You need to keep turning, that will stop the snap hook, especially when there are OOB left.
3. Try it on the range first to get some confidence

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
There is your problem.
1. A snaphook is normally caused by the fear of hitting a hook. The body stops turning, the arms and club overtake the body and it's left all day.
2. You need to keep turning, that will stop the snap hook, especially when there are OOB left.
3. Try it on the range first to get some confidence

Cheers Bobmac

I was only looking at the videos of my swing the other day and did think my hips are very square at impact. That rings a lot of bells! My bad shots are generally blocks and not getting through the ball!

Dan_Nicol

Visit site

So there I am enjoying a round of social golf and doing okay. Not flushing every shot by any means, in fact quite poor striking but balls just about going up the fairway and getting near the green if not on with approaches. Just about getting up and down, down in three at worst. So, okay but not great.

Then come to a hole get the driver out - snap hook. Damn this game get another out, another hook or wild slice, even a top one. Then takes another 3 or 4 shots to get off the damn tee. Walk up to it, swings back on and we’re playing again!!

Just wondering what to do to stop it happening. I could go to the pro and ask for a lesson on not being a knob, but I’m not sure he does miracles! I could cope with the odd one going OB but it’s why I can’t hit the next one. I’m wondering if after I’ve put one out of bounds whether I should just put the driver away, get a 4iron out and just bump it along a bit.

the most annoying thing. I’ve no idea where the bad swing even comes from. I think my poor shots maybe come when I get flat in the backswing.

When we off for a game mate ha (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Lost it on Saturday - as my tee shot on 16 disappeared straight left towards the trees my grip on my driver 'failed' and it clattered to the ground. Having just 3 putted the 15th after a typical SILH back 7 hole in a row utterly careless single bogey fest after a good 4 over gross front nine and my head starting to spin...well...terrible behaviour for which I apologised to my two playing companions.

Of course my squint tee shots of the sort I hit on 16th come about as my swing goes ever more flat and turn free; fast hands and 'armie' as I revert to 'old type' as I feel my 'new type' game drifting. At least I know.

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
See post 45 in this thread https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/paralysis-by-analysis.111492/page-3#post-2481675

Really has been invaluable to me over the past month. I no longer worry about trying to fix what went wrong, just process and hit it. Watched Rick Shiels today play against Westwood, Westy said exactly the same thing about Shiels.

I Alsohad a quick lesson which resulted in a very simple change to my swing. The change combined with sticking to the process has been a revelation.

D

Deleted member 21445

I did this video series on Golf Psychology that has been very well received and may help with this.
Understanding playing golf via process and not outcome is very important.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwRXF388TbxQlDa5X-hyRcCoM7wS4r5qJ

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The CBD oil I have been using has had a massive effect on keeping me calmer and more accepting of the bad shots.

I don't really know much about this stuff & I've seen you mention it a few times. Can I ask, what properties it has to make you "more accepting of bad shots"? I thought the whole point of this product was that it doesn't alter your state of mind
Also, In the UK is it a prescription treatment or just off the shelf