Full club sets

Thefenlandplumber

Visit site
After looking at iron sets to start off my set, I’m wondering if it’s sometimes an easier option to buy a full set. I’ve been looking at the pxg 0211 and callaway xr package. Got a budget of around 1000. Anyone advise on these packages as just think be easier to buy everything in one hit 🤷🏼‍♂️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I personally think it's better value to pick up second hand clubs, 4 or 5 years old say, and put your first set together that way. Then when you gradually upgrade you can sell off the ones you're replacing. If you got a package set, you can't really sell it on until you've replaced every club - and I don't think they sell as well either.

But I don't know, if you're not bothered about resale value, I think there's a couple of package sets sold by Costco that are decent value - certainly one of them is Callaway. As long as you don't go for the Slazenger/Dunlop Fat Mike specials. 😂

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Don’t discount getting fitted for Wilson staff clubs with that cash.

Otherwise get fitted for some mizuno irons, pick up a driver that’s a couple of years old and get the best putter you can with the change left. You can pick up some other stuff along the way.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
After looking at iron sets to start off my set, I’m wondering if it’s sometimes an easier option to buy a full set. I’ve been looking at the pxg 0211 and callaway xr package. Got a budget of around 1000. Anyone advise on these packages as just think be easier to buy everything in one hit 🤷🏼‍♂️
If you are looking for a full set of irons, can you say
1. What you want your longest iron to be in terms of loft of the club and/or distance you hope to achieve.
2. How many irons in the set.
3. What degree of loft do you want your most lofted club to be.

RichA

Visit site
Everybody is going to give you a different opinion because we all know what we ended up with, which is different for each person.

So with the benefit of hindsight, here's what I wish I'd done 4 years ago...

Go for a free fitting somewhere like AG where you won't feel guilty about walking away without buying.
Rather than looking for any specific club, try a couple of different types (like GI and cavity back) to see what you like and try regular and stiff shafts, to see which suits you better. Also get them to see what shaft length and lie angle fits for you, if you're more than a few inches above or below average height.
Memorise the results and walk away.

From Golfbidder or GC4C...
Buy a Ping G400 Max or similar super forgiving driver from about 5-8 years ago (£220ish).
Buy a super forgiving 4-hybrid of similar vintage (£75).
Buy a set of 5i-PW you like the look of meeting the specs you established at AG in the £200ish price range (they'll either be really nice 20-year old clubs or slightly ratty 5-year old clubs).
Buy a £40 Ping Anser putter.

You've only used half your budget but you are more than fit to carry on learning to play with a decent set of golf clubs. Save the other half for when you know what kind of putter you really need. Wait until you've had a tinker with other clubs and know whether you're a fairway wood or long hybrid kind of golfer; a flop shot king or lover of the chipper, before you spend more cash on the luxury stuff like wedges and fairway woods.

RichA

Visit site
It's all personal, but any Ping G-number or Mizuno JPX-number (but not Pro or Tour) is decent for a new or old golfer. I'm sure the other manufacturers make and made similar irons but I've only had Ping and Mizuno, hence the obvious bias.

Bucktaylor64

Medal Winner
Visit site
I personally think it's better value to pick up second hand clubs, 4 or 5 years old say, and put your first set together that way. Then when you gradually upgrade you can sell off the ones you're replacing. If you got a package set, you can't really sell it on until you've replaced every club - and I don't think they sell as well either.

But I don't know, if you're not bothered about resale value, I think there's a couple of package sets sold by Costco that are decent value - certainly one of them is Callaway. As long as you don't go for the Slazenger/Dunlop Fat Mike specials. 😂
Dunlop is now part of the group that owns Srixon / Cleveland so the package sets that were found in Sports Direct are now solely Slazenger!