Help a high handicapper choose woods…

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m a high handicapper, rarely break 100 who in the last 5 years has played intermittently. Had some lessons along the way and have made some progress, but this season I really want to make a go of it and get the proper practice in. This is the first time I’ve had access to a car too so that is now doable.

I bought some second hand irons (ping g20s) around 5 years ago and I’m happy with them, they are really forgiving and I can’t complain with them.

In a haste around 6 years go I bought my woods. Callaway razr x black driver, callaway big Bertha 5 wood and big Bertha heavenwood. All second hand

Now, I know 99% of this will be my own technique, but since I got the clubs I’ve never enjoyed hitting it. The driver is incredibly light it’s actually becoming an issue. The 5 wood and ‘heavenwood’ was a terrible purchase, the guys at American golf seen my coming and shifted a clueless set of pre owned woods onto me. A simple 3 wood is all I’m really looking for.

1 - am I stupid to be looking to replace these when I still am very much in the learning/beginner phase?
2 - what forgiving, cheap (second hand is fine) woods would be a good choice to suit me?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I’m a high handicapper, rarely break 100 who in the last 5 years has played intermittently. Had some lessons along the way and have made some progress, but this season I really want to make a go of it and get the proper practice in. This is the first time I’ve had access to a car too so that is now doable.

I bought some second hand irons (ping g20s) around 5 years ago and I’m happy with them, they are really forgiving and I can’t complain with them.

In a haste around 6 years go I bought my woods. Callaway razr x black driver, callaway big Bertha 5 wood and big Bertha heavenwood. All second hand

Now, I know 99% of this will be my own technique, but since I got the clubs I’ve never enjoyed hitting it. The driver is incredibly light it’s actually becoming an issue. The 5 wood and ‘heavenwood’ was a terrible purchase, the guys at American golf seen my coming and shifted a clueless set of pre owned woods onto me. A simple 3 wood is all I’m really looking for.

1 - am I stupid to be looking to replace these when I still am very much in the learning/beginner phase?
2 - what forgiving, cheap (second hand is fine) woods would be a good choice to suit
I have a Wilson D7 3 wood and it’s a great bit of kit for the money I paid.

These start at around £65 on golfbidder.

Ping woods are also pretty great clubs. You can probably find a G30 or similar for a decent enough price!

Just looked and £80ish on golfbidder.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I have two separate pieces of advice really.

Actual club recommendation - I always struggled with fairway woods until I go the Cobra F9 on a bit of a whim. It has the two rails on the bottom though that genuinely do work in helping it glide through the grass so the leading edge doesn't dig into the ground. I've found the F9 easier to hit than any wood I had previously. There are other woods out there with the rails I'm sure, so that's a feature to look out for that I genuinely think helps.

Second bit of advice is don't bother with the 3 wood, just get a strong-lofted or adjustable 5 wood. I found 3 woods don't have enough loft for my swing speed nor inconsistency of strike so it was much more hit and miss whether it got properly airborne or not. The extra loft on a 5 wood certainly makes it easier, and lot of people actually hit a 5 wood just as far as they would a 3w when the extra loft gives them more carry.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, best to sort out your play with what you have. A 5 wood and a heavenwood would be the go to advice if you hadnt already got them.
The three wood is almost an obsolete club for the handicap golfer now, certainly in the higher levels. Avoid. Definitely no a fairway club. And a higher loft driver a much better option if you were think of the 3 wood off the tee.
Changing brand or model will make no difference if the expectation is they will give better results than what you have.

Last edited:

Fabia999

Visit site
cobra have some great models of wood. lot of recommendations for the F9 but I think the F7 is just as good.

I'd also look into hybrids, personally think they're much easier of a club to hit and go similar distances.

good luck on the 100

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you got any friends who golf.
Lots of people are happy to lend a club for a shot at the range to see how you like it..
I would certainly second the idea that a 3 wood is generally not a great club for higher handicappers or low swing speed players in general.
I know a few people now who are having success with a 7 wood.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, best to sort out your play with what you have. A 5 wood and a heavenwood would be the go to advice if you hadnt already got them.
The three wood is almost an obsolete club for the handicap golfer now, certainly in the higher levels. Avoid. Definitely no a fairway club. And a higher loft driver a much better option if you were think of the 3 wood off the tee.
Changing brand or model will make no difference if the expectation is they will give better results than what you have.
This is what I was thinking.
3 woods are for good players with a bit of swing speed.
5 and 7 woods are sensible choices. IME, Callaway make decent enough fairway woods. It's almost certainly a technique issue unless the shafts are telegraph poles. Age of club is pretty irrelevant too - for many players, including pros, fairway woods are weather beaten old favourites.

As for fairway woods vs hybrids, I find I get a higher, softer flight with a FW. Maybe the shaft length or the different weight distribution. Ymmv.

Having said all that, once something is in your head, it can break your game...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
V series was ok but very light in weight.
Callaway, and most other manufacturers, were going through the "lighter is better" phase.
Light heads, light shaft.....just no pop!
As mentioned in the article the X2Hot is much more playable and has a better stock shaft that the noodle that was the Bassara.
How cheap is cheap?
As above, the Rogue is a good 2nd hand bet, Ping G as well.
TM's M2 was many people's favourite.
And forget about a 3 wood for now...4 wood or 5 wood will be plenty..

Crumplezone

Visit site
I've got old Yonex Nanospeed i's in 3, 5 & 7 wood. Always found them easy to hit. Can even hit the 3 wood off the deck. They're very cheap to buy now.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I must admit, I’m a hybrid man. I carry no longer than a 7 iron in the winter or 6 iron in the summer which replaces my 7 hybrid. I’ve just ditched my 3 wood for a 3 hybrid which is 5 wood loft.

In the end of the day you want something that launches consistently in your bag. My 3 wood was too variable for launch and distance when it was in the air. This is the same reason my 4i is out and I’m doubting my 5i will make it back in. I just get more consistency in flight shape and distance with a hybrid. Also bad shots are more forgiving in distance.

Rule of thumb…..stick with 19° loft and above with whichever you prefer.