Keeping clubs in the garage

Mandofred

Visit site
I have gone as far in the past as to keep 10 balls or so in the house the night before playing.....heating them in warm/hot water the next morning.....and then putting in an insulated bag before playing.....then switching balls every hole or two. I thought it might make a difference....maybe it did, I couldn't really tell, but not enough for the hassle. Good theory though....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't have a garage so I've always kept mine in the cupboard under the stairs. Years ago I heard that if you leave your clubs in the cold a lot the grips may perish quicker, but that might be nonsense or just referring to older style grips, I don't know. I wouldn't leave my clubs out in the cold anyway, they're my babies. 😂

I know from experience that rubber, leather, synthetics, paints, plastics even metal becomes brittle or wears in the high humidity and crumbles very quickly unless its of good quality and even then it's only delayed

I take all the precautions with my golf stuff I can

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a garage when I first bought the house (now a bedroom with ensuite wet room). I drove my car in to it during the first week tried to get out of the car and reversed out again. The one and only time my car went in the garage.
There is only one person in the 40 houses in the close that uses the garage for a car and she has a Fiat 500.

D-S

Visit site
Or when safety standards were lower. Have to have blooming car seats no
You mean when people bought sensible sized cars? I would expect my Fiesta would fit in a garage.
The last car that we had that fitted in our garage was a Fiesta, but as it was a 2 door it was a tight squeeze.
Wouldn’t fit now though as it’s a dining room. 😀

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a garage when I first bought the house (now a bedroom with ensuite wet room). I drove my car in to it during the first week tried to get out of the car and reversed out again. The one and only time my car went in the garage.
There is only one person in the 40 houses in the close that uses the garage for a car and she has a Fiat 500.

Our garage is double length rather than width so can fit a lot of junk in it (great considering the loft is a bedroom) it's detached from the house so can't turn into a bedroom

Keeps my clubs and the bins in tho lol 😆

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our garage is double length rather than width so can fit a lot of junk in it (great considering the loft is a bedroom) it's detached from the house so can't turn into a bedroom

Keeps my clubs and the bins in tho lol 😆
Mine was also longer length. A lot of the houses have utility rooms at the end of them as you can get in via the kitchen. There was planning approval for us to do this but we went for a very large bedroom with on suite as this better suited our needs.

I did miss the storage room as I found sheds were not as good, these days with the kids having gone I use one of the bedrooms for all my golf bags and spare clubs.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine was also longer length. A lot of the houses have utility rooms at the end of them as you can get in via the kitchen. There was planning approval for us to do this but we went for a very large bedroom with on suite as this better suited our needs.

I did miss the storage room as I found sheds were not as good, these days with the kids having gone I use one of the bedrooms for all my golf bags and spare clubs.

Yes I have the bedrooms planned out into games room, golf room etc when the kids bugger off lol 🤣

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
At the moment, the kitchen, bathroom and two of the three bedrooms don't have golf clubs in them.
Loft is rammed. About a dozen bags and full sets.
One bedroom has three woods that I varnished today.

Outside, behind this door are about 100 clubs and a few more bags.
I have plans to sell a few.

SDC11441.JPG

Today's tip: Put your golf shoes in the passenger footwell when driving to the club in this cold weather. Very pleasant to put warm shoes on.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Garage during the week, house on Friday night / Saturday morning so they are warm for Sunday.

I remember crossfield and Locky doing a vlog years ago with balls kept in the shop verses the same ball kept in a drinks chiller. The loss of distance was more than you’d expect and it was multiplied with cold clubs.

In very cold weather I keep a spare ball in my pocket and rotate during the game for this exact reason.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
When I was down south always kept our clubs in the garage. Never had any issues.

Since moving to Scotland, I still keep mine in the garage….. which has actually been converted into an office/ bedroom so is part of the house. Mrs wedge’s clubs and the ones I leave behind are stored in the boiler cupboard in the utility room, keeps them all warm and dry.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Mine are in the nice warm locker at the club.

A mate, whose house backs onto our range, converted the back of his garage into a dedicated golf club store. With a roller shutter door, his bags, clubs, trolley etc are all stored here.

It's pretty cool when you see him emerge from his golf cave with his gear and wander down to the range or course.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine are in the nice warm locker at the club.

A mate, whose house backs onto our range, converted the back of his garage into a dedicated golf club store. With a roller shutter door, his bags, clubs, trolley etc are all stored here.

It's pretty cool when you see him emerge from his golf cave with his gear and wander down to the range or course.
See, that’s what I’d like eventually. One of the houses we viewed was owned by a motorbike enthusiast. Garage was off the kitchen, it was heated, vinyl flooring, everything on shelves, clean as a whistle, it was probably the nicest room in the house! I’d love something like that for my golf stuff.

Reading the replies I think I’ll store them in there for now but bring them out the night before a round to give them time to warm up, mainly the balls really…read plenty of articles about the distance lost with cold balls!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Other option is a smaller zip bag in the boot of the car, after the round all balls into that and take it indoors.

I was doing this in the autumn and I found it helped me stop storing pick ups in the bag