Keeping clubs in the garage

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We’ve just moved house and so I now have a garage, yay!

We only moved in last week so I just dumped my golf bag in there. Playing tomorrow so I thought I’d just have a check to make sure everything’s in order, and it’s bloody freezing in there!

I’ve always stored them in the house previously, and was hoping that having a garage which can be accessed from inside the house, would be the perfect place to keep them from now on.

I’m probably over thinking it, but does anyone else store their clubs in the garage or advise against it?

Albo

Visit site
Either the garage or boot of the car, neither of them are warm at this time of the year, been like that for years and no ill effects as far as I can tell.
Shoes are cold to put on though!!

Genu9

Visit site
We’ve just moved house and so I now have a garage, yay!

We only moved in last week so I just dumped my golf bag in there. Playing tomorrow so I thought I’d just have a check to make sure everything’s in order, and it’s bloody freezing in there!

I’ve always stored them in the house previously, and was hoping that having a garage which can be accessed from inside the house, would be the perfect place to keep them from now on.

I’m probably over thinking it, but does anyone else store their clubs in the garage or advise against it?
Kept in garage all the time. I've a dehumidifier running most of the time to stop my tools etc from rusting, except in extremely cold periods when it ices up. I do take my shoes into the house.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't leave the clubs in the car. I can't shake the thought that the heat will melt glue/adhesive (i've had a car fire extinguisher explode before)

Wouldn't freezing temps make the glue/adhesive brittle?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The recommendation is that you don't keep clubs in a car in extreme heat or cold...and, judging from my experience, it only really applies if you have long term extremes...
Slab would have pretty high temps for prolonged periods so keeping clubs in the boot would be risky.
Similar if you lived in, say, Canada....their season is over and they'll have sub zero temperatures for months now....that's when the clubs go in the garage.
We don't get very prolonged extremes so I don't think it's an issue here..
My clubs live in the boot all year round and are fine...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have a garage so I've always kept mine in the cupboard under the stairs. Years ago I heard that if you leave your clubs in the cold a lot the grips may perish quicker, but that might be nonsense or just referring to older style grips, I don't know. I wouldn't leave my clubs out in the cold anyway, they're my babies. 😂

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Keep all my clubs indoors. Never thought having them in a shed or garage would do them much good. Without any reference points I was particularly worried about prolonged cold temperatures on graphite shafts

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't have a garage so I've always kept mine in the cupboard under the stairs. Years ago I heard that if you leave your clubs in the cold a lot the grips may perish quicker, but that might be nonsense or just referring to older style grips, I don't know. I wouldn't leave my clubs out in the cold anyway, they're my babies. 😂
Won’t speak for golf grips as I’m sure an expert will correct but several of my machines in the workshop are belt driven and each one has a warning that prolonged exposure to temperatures below zero WILL cause the belts to perish and require frequent changing.

So I’m guessing that rubber is affected by cold. But that is rubber that will be under high torque strain so read in to that what you will regards grips.

Last edited: